Valued Contributor

Shopping at the Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul

I had just written a very long post about a donation I made to St. Vincent de Paul to try and figure out what had happened to a big beautiful donation I made there just last week. I decided to donate my porcelain doll collection to St. Vinnies so that maybe some with not so much might be able to get a really nice doll for their little girl. I probably donated about 50 dolls, all shapes and sizes, most expensive, alot of Marie Osmond, but lots of other artists as well. I went back a day later to donate a really nice set of Christmas dishes and a brand new set of World Book Encyclopedias (not new, but in brand new shape). Anyway I thought I would go in the store and see what the prices were on the dolls I had donated. There was not one doll in sight. It baffled me and I thought maybe one of the employees had taken them to do what they would with them, sell them or whatever when that is not what I had in mind at all.

Well I just read a post here about someone's son that had given her a beautiful gift from the Goodwill. She said her son goes there all the time to buy things for next to nothing and then sells them on Ebay. I am flabergasted!!!!! I wanted these wonderful dolls to go to maybe some underprivileged children whose parents could probably not afford to go and pay the regular prices at the mall.

This is only my opinion and I am not trying to attack this ladies son, but I just had to say something about it. I am really going to have to rethink where I donate my items in the future because I guess the less fortunate don't always get these tems I donate. I will also be telling my family and friends to re think where to donate.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Re: Shopping at the Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul

Cookie06: Similarly, I often donate to Goodwill. However, recently (like you) I was flabbergasted to read an article that said Goodwill sell many items on e-bay and also that the Goodwill organization is worth many billions of dollars. I was under the impression that donated items were sold for very low prices in Goodwill stores so that poor people could benefit. Now, also like you, I am wondering where to donate. I am sure these organizations initially were started with good intentions but somehow greed always wins.

Honored Contributor

Suggestions:

Look for the toys for tots barrels. Put your gifts to kids in those. I think that would be closer to your intentions for the kids. If someone is on the other end of these barrels, who distribute the toys in the barrels, maybe they could tell us. I am trusting they get into the hands of the kids who deserve the gifts. ???

Super Contributor

If the dolls weren't on the shelves, it is probably because it takes time for the volunteers to process them - inventory, price, code, etc. Also, as far as Goodwill is concerned, everything goes to the main warehouse in the area to be processed so what I donate never comes back to our local Goodwill.

I agree with others who say if you want to make sure they go to children, donate to a charity strictly for kids or a domestic violence shelter.

Respected Contributor

"She said her son goes there all the time to buy things for next to nothing and then sells them on Ebay."

It's really a shame the things that go on now a days. It's also sad what some people consider "appropriate". Things have really changed over the past 30 years and the media isn't helping one bit! Just look at the K-Mart commercial with the pregnant moms. IMO it's classless and trashy! Seems a lot of people want things to be "Common!"

showing a lack of taste and refinement; vulgar.
"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Regular Contributor

Hi. I can totally understand your frustration about people buying things there and selling on ebay. Regarding goodwill selling items, they use approximately 83 cents of each dollar earned for programs and services including job training. Essentially, the items we donate are not necessarily about the "fish", but sometimes are about "teaching them how to fish".

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps it would help to know how the organization you are donating to actually operates. The thrift shop to which I donate is in the business to SELL. Because they receive donations of high-end, designer clothing, they even offer personal shopper services. A customer has to sign up with her, discuss likes/dislikes, sizes, etc. The personal shopper will hand-pick items to meet her clients' needs. I am quite certain the personal shopper would get first pick of the best donations coming in the door.

In my opinion, this is a wonderful idea, because it is the MONEY coming into the shop that is used to help the intellectual and developmentally disabled.

Honored Contributor

Don't you donate to provide a benefit for the charity? Once you donate something, it's no longer yours. Get over yourself and think about the benefit the sale of the dolls will bring to that charity.

Esteemed Contributor

That's just the point, the OP assumed by donating to the charity she was helping the underprivileged, not supplying items to be sold on eBay. So I don't think she needs to "get over herself," but rather find a more direct way to help the needy.

Honored Contributor

If you donate you donate let it go. Many of the stuff goes to other stores depending on the store traffic.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man