Frequent Contributor

Frustration with finding a bra!

It is so hard to find a supportive, non-formed (unlined), underwire bra! I don't do well with buying bras online as I prefer to try them on first. Every single bra at Victoria's Secret is formed, and at least 95% of the bras in most department stores such as JCPenney and Kohls are the kind with formed cups! The only unformed underwire bras I've found are for sizes much larger than what I wear.

I wish there was a locally owned lingerie store staffed by knowledgeable ladies nearby, but there isn't. Clearly, many people must like the bras with the formed cups, but they do not fit me well and it seems like that's really all that's around anymore.

So frustrating.

Valued Contributor

Re: Frustration with finding a bra!

Have you tried Soma? I'm like you, couldn't find a comfortable formed bra. Went to Soma and I really like their bras. Great fit and the women there know what their doing when it comes to fitting you. I asked why do you recommend the formed bras and her answer was "modesty". When you get to a certain age, you don't want to look like you're not wearing a bra, especially if you're busty.

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried the basic Playtex 18 hour type varieties? They aren't underwire, but come in all sizes and several different styles and are not formed so they fit better. Most aren't very fancy, although some are a little more than others, but I've worn a couple of their styles for years and when I try something else I always go back.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I agree with catmama, it is a modesty issued. I prefer the unlined ones because they can add bulk, but modesty wins out for me.

Frequent Contributor

I don't live near a Soma but I am travelling next month to an area where I am sure there would be one. I can wait till then.

Thank you, ladies.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Wacoal? I have several of theirs that aren't formed. They fit me better than any other brand. I'm a 32C.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Contributor

Jocky has a whole new concept in fitting bras. You purchase a kit with "cups", you then find the correct fitting cup, measure yourself, put the two numbers down and you have your "new size". My bras fit me like they were custom made. For the first time in my life I have perfect fitting bras. Love, love, love them. I am fairly small and wear a 3/30. Check it out at Jocky.com.

Super Contributor

I agree with NickNack, I wear mostly Wacoal but have a couple of Soma as well. No formed bras for me. A bra fitter in a better department store can lead you to the right one, good luck!
Super Contributor

I'd LOVE to find a formed bra that doesn't make a 'shelf' out of my girls. I want the bra to fit snugly between 'em, and those formed ones, well, just don't.

Try Playtex Secrets Style #4422. Unlined, uber comfy, forget you have it on kinda bra.

Regular misses sizes and in fuller figure ones, too. I wear 40C, and can do either the regular or the fuller size - they fit me perfectly, so I buy the CHEAPER priced ones in the regular size section.

I only buy 'em at Kohl's when I have a 20% or 30% off promo code or coupon, and when they're on sale. Super-great! Last forever!

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain! I'm 68 years old and a few years ago I found the best bra for me. It was with those people who sold bras, etc on QVC (forget their name).

Then suddenly they stopped making the bra. Then they are no longer on QVC!

I bought so many bras (even had to go down a size to get lots of them. I have enough to last a few years, but as we all know bras aren't known for longevity.

I hope you are able to find something that works. I dread having to find a new kind of bra.