Respected Contributor

I appreciate people sharing their size in reviews

When people are happy with the garment size they got and post a review, it is SO helpful when they share either their size or height/weight as well as the size they bought. It really helps in selecting a size. So thanks to anyone who does this.

Super Contributor

Re: I appreciate people sharing their size in reviews

You must be the only one that actually reads and uses the reviews before purchasing an item! I think most women here on the fashion boards come here for sizing and garment information, I don't think they pay any attention to the online reviews. They've said so in other threads, that they don't really trust the reviews on the item pages, because people can post reviews without having actually bought the item. So many times there will be reviews from people that clearly don't even own the item, and they will either give a negative review or give a review saying they want something else other than what the item is. Which is ridiculous, that people can do that.

Many regular posters here have said that they don't even read the reviews and that most of the reviews aren't helpful to them at all. That is why I stopped leaving reviews for items I've purchased.

Frequent Contributor

THANK YOU for this post! I have come to rely more and more on customer reviews, and so appreciate it when reviewers mention that an item runs large, etc. Even just referring to the size they usually order is a terrific help in deciding whether to purchase or not.

I have learned, unfortunately, not to order from certain lines (Denim & Co. comes to mind) until I can read reviews. Customers comment on flimsy material, shrinkage, etc. and it saves me a lot of money on purchasing inferior items that will need to be returned.

Great post - and a good reminder to satisfied customers to take a minute and post their reviews.

Valued Contributor

I agree but it's still difficult though as people's proportions are different and they just use the overall term 'large'*

Someone might say a skirt in my size runs large but they may have a large stomach and smaller hips.

Since I have a small waist and larger hips it might be a good fit for me but I don't know since all she's said is 'runs large'. Is it the chest, waist, hips, legs, what runs large?

*and my pet hate is when someone uses a judgmental description for 'large'. It makes my heart sink every time some thoughtless (or is it deliberate?) woman implies anyone that this garment would fit must be deformed or gross. Especially since they're usually referring to the smallest sizes.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/17/2014 MadamAnne said:

THANK YOU for this post! I have come to rely more and more on customer reviews, and so appreciate it when reviewers mention that an item runs large, etc. Even just referring to the size they usually order is a terrific help in deciding whether to purchase or not.

I have learned, unfortunately, not to order from certain lines (Denim & Co. comes to mind) until I can read reviews. Customers comment on flimsy material, shrinkage, etc. and it saves me a lot of money on purchasing inferior items that will need to be returned.

Great post - and a good reminder to satisfied customers to take a minute and post their reviews.

I do appreciate when reviewers give a description on fit...even w/o saying their size, wt...etc. If someone says that item ran large thru bust, or the sleeves were longer than normal etc...and there are a lot of reviewers saying the same thing.. it does help me.

Particularly w/ shoes...I really am thankful when folks describe the fit of shoes/boots. Saves me a ton of $$$ in returns and heartache.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

On 12/17/2014 imaclotheshog said:

You must be the only one that actually reads and uses the reviews before purchasing an item! I think most women here on the fashion boards come here for sizing and garment information, I don't think they pay any attention to the online reviews. They've said so in other threads, that they don't really trust the reviews on the item pages, because people can post reviews without having actually bought the item. So many times there will be reviews from people that clearly don't even own the item, and they will either give a negative review or give a review saying they want something else other than what the item is. Which is ridiculous, that people can do that.

Many regular posters here have said that they don't even read the reviews and that most of the reviews aren't helpful to them at all. That is why I stopped leaving reviews for items I've purchased.

I won't buy without reading the reviews. So many times, even when items are a customer pick, when you look at the reviews there are still too many that are one or two stars. I don't believe everything people say in the reviews but if you actually read them it is usually obvious which ones to discount and which ones to pay attention to. For example some people will actually give details - it fell apart after the first washing, the appliance was hot and actually smoking the second time we used it, the fabric is see through, the earrings are far too heavy, the stones fell out of the bracelet after just a couple of weeks etc etc. Others just say they love it or it is so soft so I discount ones like that.

If there are as many bad reviews as good then I generally won't buy, particularly if it is some sort of appliance because that generally means that there is no consistency or quality control in the manufacturing so you are simply taking a chance on getting one that actually works.

If it is a product you can find elsewhere, I also check price and reviews on other sites, like Amazon, before buying here.

Frequent Contributor

I make a point to read reviews before purchasing. That's why I like buying from QVC compared to other sites; I appreciate the reviews and the sizing information. Granted, not all of the reviews are helpful or applicable to my situation, but I'm able to get a general idea of how the item fits and feels. You're right, including height/weight or body type helps.

Honored Contributor

Nope, OP is definitely not the only one. I read reviews, omit the nonsensical ones- ("It looked SO cheap"-etc.) and usually pay attention to the size comments. When I WRITE a review, I almost ALWAYS include my size/weight info. I will admit that I AM getting a little sick of reading "The XXS was just like a bathrobe and my teeny tiny widdle body was just swimming in it" reviews. We get it, tiny ladies.
Super Contributor

I read reviews especially if it's a brand I'm not familiar with or a style I haven't worn before. And I agree with the OP. Just saying "I wear a medium and this fits me great" is not helpful at all. It is so much better if you can mention your height, weight and general body shape.

Valued Contributor

I totally agree. I always try to give my height and weight and then the size I ordered. I have found that when I read the reviews, this information from others is very helpful for me too.

Thanks to all who remember to give the extra information!