Esteemed Contributor

Let the festivities begin! Do you purchase a new outfit or two for the holidays?

For the most part, our holiday parties are casual in attire. I wanted to find a velvet peplum jacket in a color other than black--perhaps teal or mocha, or a satin blouse with chiffon trim. So far, I haven't found exactly what I am looking for.

What about you? Do you enjoy buying a new outfit to celebrate?

Respected Contributor

Re: Let the festivities begin! Do you purchase a new outfit or two for the holidays?

No. I would have no place to wear them.

Valued Contributor

Re: Let the festivities begin! Do you purchase a new outfit or two for the holidays?

Sometimes I do. Usually for Thanksgiving or Xmas, definitely New Years. I did just order a cute olive green jumpsuit from HSN for $20 for Xmas {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Nope! My closet is bulging with things I never wear. I'm getting rid of things instead of buying new items.

Respected Contributor

This year, I purchased two new metallic sweaters for holiday wear. We are going to a wedding on 12-20 but it's not a fancy wedding, it's low key and rather informal. I plan to wear one of those sweaters with black dressy pants and really nice jewelry. Our main Christmas celebration is on Christmas Even and I'll wear the other sweater with a black skirt and boots. Years and years ago, both our jobs held very fancy dinner/ dance type Christmas parties. Sit down dinner, open bar, dancing. It was fun and I enjoyed buying a new evening dress and getting all fixed up. But neither of our jobs does that anymore and the friends we socialize with host informally, at home.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/16/2014 Chrystaltree said:

This year, I purchased two new metallic sweaters for holiday wear. We are going to a wedding on 12-20 but it's not a fancy wedding, it's low key and rather informal. I plan to wear one of those sweaters with black dressy pants and really nice jewelry. Our main Christmas celebration is on Christmas Even and I'll wear the other sweater with a black skirt and boots. Years and years ago, both our jobs held very fancy dinner/ dance type Christmas parties. Sit down dinner, open bar, dancing. It was fun and I enjoyed buying a new evening dress and getting all fixed up. But neither of our jobs does that anymore and the friends we socialize with host informally, at home.

I remember those day when my husband would have to rent a tux. Thankfully times have changed. While companies can still hold beautiful parties for employees, we aren't expected to dress like that.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have a single holiday event on tap that I can't do with pants and a sweater or top with a little subtle glitz to it. Easy and comfy, and so much better than the stiff, dressy stuff of past years. I have a number of items in my closet that fit the bill, so no shopping needed.

Respected Contributor

No new outfits. Just bought a dark green skirt and tan pants that were at very low cost on e-bay.

Honored Contributor

I shopped my closet for Holiday items that were purchased from here several years ago. Only 'new' item was a Linea zig zag V neck top that I used with the Holiday items I already own.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Usually I purchase one or two ""dressier"" items--be it a top or dress. I purchased the Jen Rade sequin dress early on in black.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"