Respected Contributor

We're headed to the San Francisco area tomorrow and the forecast is rain and more rain.

DD said to bring a warm, waterproof jacket with a hood. I have an old one, so I'll take it.

I really wanted to add my new lightweight packable down jacket in pale silver (from Macy's).

Now I'm wondering what will happen if that jacket gets drenched? I have no experience with down and water. Most of my winter jackets are poly-filled, and the one that isn't has never been around water.

Should I leave the packable down jacket at home? (It has no hood, either.)

Respected Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Down jackets and rain....

It will probably be fine. The outer layer looks like it's waterproof.

Have a fun weekend!!

Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 MomOf4 said:

It will probably be fine. The outer layer looks like it's waterproof.

Have a fun weekend!!

ITA - especially since it's machine washable. It should be fine if you get it wet.

Super Contributor

Hmmm. I don't know... I have found that down jackets get a funky smell when they are washed over time, even if they are washable. In my opinion, I wouldn't risk it, especially in a place where it rains days on end.

Esteemed Contributor

Cute jacket, peaches! I would definitely take it. Down jackets/coats can be exposed to wet heavy snow and I suspect you won't be dancing in the rain!. And, it will be so lightweight to pack.

Have a wonderful visit with your daughter in a magical city!

Super Contributor

No, I wouldn't wear it in the rain. If it gets a little wet, it will be ok. But, if it gets soaked, it won't be warm. If you don't get it completely dry, it will smell. The jacket you bought is not waterproof.

Esteemed Contributor

Good grief!! Isn't it about 60-50 degrees in SF most of the time?? You won't need a down jacket!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/16/2014 colliegirls said:

Good grief!! Isn't it about 60-50 degrees in SF most of the time?? You won't need a down jacket!!!!

One would definitely need to outerwear for a visit to San Francisco. The Bay area can have sudden burst of cold, particularly at night. Attendees to SF Giants and Oakland A's baseball games often are wearing coats/jackets at the night games even in heart of summer. A lot of these new thin down insulators are not constructed to be warm enough to handle -- say a Midwestern January freezing day. They would be ideal for SF. Most have outer shells which repel water even if the jacket can't be listed (by the manufacturer) as waterproof.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two packable down jackets of good quality. This will be the third year I will wear them in the rain & snow. I love them because they are warm to -10 & so thin they just roll up. You will be fine.