Frequent Contributor

Cultivating a meaningful, luxurious life appeals to me! I've enjoyed reading the books by Jennifer L. Scott based on her time in France as a student. She stayed with a well-to-do family and gleaned life lessons for a richer, more enjoyable life. The first book is Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris, and the second is At Home with Madame Chic. The author also has a great blog, The Daily Connoisseur.

She learned things like slowing down to enjoy the moment, creating a capsule wardrobe of good quality clothing, maintaining a clutter-free home, taking time to enjoy the arts, etc. There are many other great books and blogs on similar topics.

It's about figuring out the kind of life you want and then taking steps to make it happen. I'm enjoying the journey! How do you cultivate a good life?

Super Contributor

Hi, SouthernLady,

Just wanted to say that I too enjoyed Jennifer's books. I also follow her blog.

Your last question will require some thought. I'm still working on the cultivating process!

Frequent Contributor
It's a work in progress for me, too. One that I'm enjoying. I'd love to hear your perspective. Lately, I've concentrated on seeking out art shows, classical music concerts in my community and turning off the tv more and playing relaxing music. It helps me slow down and not feel so rushed. By the way, I enjoy your posts!
Super Contributor

I also follow Jennifer's blog and read her first book. I hope to get her new book soon. I love her ideas and the French philosophy of living simply, but well.

Cultivating a good life is something I work at all the time. One of my goals this winter was to spend more time reading books, less time on the computer and watching news. I'm still working on that, but I'm better. Jennifer inspired me to create a capsule wardrobe this winter. I did not go so far as to actually get rid of a lot of clothes, but I chose the clothes I wanted to wear, and have been wearing those clothes only. Mostly blues and grays. I feel more organized and happy.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy Jennifer's blog and while my desire to live a more minimalistic lifestyle began before being introduced to her (figuratively), her philosophy definitely keeps me motivated.

Frequent Contributor
I'm trying to incorporate the capsule wardrobe idea, too. I'm finding that by decreasing the number of items, it means the ones I do choose to keep or buy need to flatter! Which is why I sometimes struggle with silhouettes and finding the right shape for my shape.
Frequent Contributor

SouthernLady, thank you so very much for your post! Prior to reading what you wrote, I had not heard of Madame Chic nor Jennifer L. Scott. I went to the Amazon website, purchased her books and also subscribed to her blog. I thoroughly enjoyed watching three of her tutorials on YouTube. I am attempting to change my life and found her materials to be uplifting and inspiring as well as informative. Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you making me aware of this author!

Frequent Contributor

MissBetsyW, I'm glad you are enjoying her work! You're right, she is inspiring. I'm reading a book on a related topic, it's called The Simply Luxurious Life. I haven't finished it yet due to the busy holiday season, but I can tell it's a keeper. Please let us know what you think as you read her books. I'd love to know how others are improving their lifestyles. Have a great day!

Respected Contributor

Never heard of the lady or the books or her blog. But I've never been the "self help book" type. I also haven't had any problems cultivating a meaningful life. I must say that "meaningful" changes as I change. I'm fortunate in that I have had and still have marvelous female role models in my lives. They are my inspiration and my teachers. I live in the Boston area, so "culture" is in the very air we breathe. From the time I was in grade school; my Mom and my grandmother and my great aunt took us to museums, galleries, concerts, plays. Of course, such things were quite affordable back then. Manners, grace; those aren't things I have to learn at this late date or read about. I learned those life lessons when I was young. I'm already living the life I want to live. My "quality" life. Not someone else's. Although, at 54, I'm still growing and evolving.

Super Contributor

well glad to know you enjoying her work