Esteemed Contributor

O/T Is this what it is like to live in Seattle?

First, let me say I am immensely grateful that we have not had to contend with a lot of snow/ice in Minneapolis. Walking and driving have been safe. Temperatures have been in the 30's (prediction of 40's today) which is also a blessing this time of year.

However, we have had a gray, overcast, dreary, damp week and it is affecting my psyche--and not in a good way.

Does the weather affect your disposition?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Is this what it is like to live in Seattle?

Weather does affect my mood. When it is sunny out...I'm in a much better mood.

I live in Seattle and by this time of the year...I'm counting down the days until the shortest day of the year (light wise) because then I know we make the turn to more daylight hours.

Don't get me wrong...I love Seattle but I just hate the dang dreary weather we can get in the winter. I have many friends that use the 'light' box and swear by it. I have not pulled the trigger to buy that item. Just take vitamin D3 and make sure I get outside for a run whenever it's not raining sideways or icy.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

I could not deal with an area that is often dreary and drizzly. Winter is dreary enough without moisture in the air, unless it is snow.

Respected Contributor

DH worked in Seattle for about seven months. He said is was very depressing in the winter.

If it wasn't for the gloomy days, I would like to live there.

Respected Contributor

I work with a guy who only lasted a year and half in Seattle. He said the Seattle area was the most gloomy and depressing place he'd ever lived in and he lived all the world. He loved his job and liked the people; the weather just dragged him down too much. He moved back to MA, he took a pay cut to do it.

Super Contributor

Hi, magic!

Sorry you are experiencing such a gray week. I'm with you -- the weather definitely affects my mood. We are having gray days here in Dallas and I'm ready for the sun to come out again. Rain is expected for some of the weekend.

I think you should wear a cheerful color and see if that lifts your spirits!

Super Contributor

It does get dreary here in Seattle and affects people's moods. On sunny days, everyone is happier. You'd expect to see more bright outwear but mostly everyone is wearing black. Makes for even more of a moody feeling when you are out and about. We take vacation during the winter/spring just because once summer arrives here, it is so much appreciated!

Valued Contributor

Yes, magic, it is! Lol....I call this time of year my "Dark Days". It took me years to get used to the often gloomy weather. A couple of years ago I invested in what I call my "happy light" (a light therapy lamp) and it helps tremendously this time of year. When the weather is good here, there's nowhere more beautiful. However, during the dark days, it's really hard to get myself going without the lamp.
Respected Contributor

A family member moved to Seattle a few months ago, and loves it, but has mentioned the dreary weather has been a real adjustment. Where I live, I know I feel more energetic and motivated when it's sunny outside. The winters here can be kind of gray, and it does seem to affect me. That's really the only thing I dislike about winter here. I can handle the cold weather, but the lack of sun can be a bummer.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, a gray, overcast day is a rare treat for us here in NM. It always seems to be sunny and that gets boring.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment