Esteemed Contributor
I've been going to the same tailor for way over fifteen years. His work has always been top notch and I trust him with everything. Well, I spend a lot of money there and during the warm months I'm there almost every week either picking up or dropping off. Well, unless I am going to wear it immediately I usually give the garments a look and put them in my closet. So, about a month ago I took two brand new outfits to get altered and when I was there ai noticed he had a new assistant. Really didn't think much about it. I picked up the items and put them away. Well I last weekend I discovered that the sleeves on both times were put on the wrong garments. And the one the sleeve was changed completely. So I called him promptly and explained and he said "no, not me I didn't do it". So today I brought them in because I need the items and he has five days to correct it. It was clear , the material did not match. He continued saying "he didn't do it". I said , "what are you saying I did it," besides me you/your shop was the only ones that touched them." Then I got upset and said "well, if you don't fix it you loose my business." Then he said, "oh don't be like that I'll fix it." Turning the table and making me look like the "bad guy". But I hope he realizes I am not paying him when I go to pick these up. I am so upset over this. Why do people lie and cheat, making people feel bad. I would have never expected this from what I thought was a sweet man . This is the second time in the past few weeks that someone has done similar to me. At this time of year when your faith is to be restored in mankind I'm feeling pretty bad and it's no fault of mine.
Honored Contributor

I put things away as you do, however, my tailor always has me try something on.

Was the assistant still there? Was the assistant's work ever in question?

Esteemed Contributor
No, he's regular assistant was there. My guess is the regular was sick or on vacation, he was busy and brought someone into to hep. The one item is completely different, new buttons and everything. It was cut too short and they tried to hide it. It was was straight and now it's banded and doesn't look right at all.
Trusted Contributor

Such a horrible experience. Have you considered starting over, having your tailor replace the items (pay for them) and then having him personally alter the replacements?

Respected Contributor

A suggestion: take pictures of your garments from different angles - with your cell phone - before leaving them with this tailor.

Super Contributor
On 12/10/2014 ECBG said:

My tailor also insists that I try the garment on before leaving the shop. In fact, I only pick my items up when I know that I won't be in a rush, and will have enough time to make sure the alterations were done properly. I'm sure that this protects not only the tailor, but also saves the customer the inconvenience of having to return an incorrectly altered garment.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/10/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 12/10/2014 ECBG said:

My tailor also insists that I try the garment on before leaving the shop. In fact, I only pick my items up when I know that I won't be in a rush, and will have enough time to make sure the alterations were done properly. I'm sure that this protects not only the tailor, but also saves the customer the inconvenience of having to return an incorrectly altered garment.

Of course after this experience I will try everything on before I even pay if I chose to continue being a customer. I really resent the way it was handled on his part and I have more to say when I pick the items up. The second item IMHO is ruined. The trust has been broken.
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like his assistant did the work and made the mistakes......and perhaps your tailor didn't realize what was done. Maybe he even wondered if you were mistaken. Maybe the instructions for what was to be done weren't clearly conveyed from you to the tailor or from the tailor to the assistant.

If you have been satisfied with his work and have had a good relationship for many years, I'd give him another chance. Be very sure that instructions are clearly written and understood before you leave anything for alterations. I think the ideas of taking cell phone pics before dropping items off and trying things on in the shop before you take them home make good sense!

Regular Contributor

I can't imagine having something altered and not trying it on to make sure the fit was right.

Respected Contributor

Find a new tailor. This person doesn't value your business.