Frequent Contributor

I've enjoyed these boards for years and have learned so much from y'all. I'm diving in the discussion for the first time because I'd love advice on dressing a large bust. I bought several of the tiered, flowy camisoles to wear under cardigans, thinking they would be flattering. I'm second-guessing now - maybe they make me look bigger than I am! Ladies, do you find that flowy tops work for a busty figure, or should I stick with body-skimming tank tops under a cardigan? I'd appreciate any advice you have for dressing a busty figure. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Some style suggestions from SCWomensConnection.com:

1. Wear a shirt,top, or dress of soft materials like silk and cut loose on the body.

2. Better not wear clothing with a boxy cut or tight as it gives the impression of larger breasts.

3. Pair a dark-colored clothing to the outside with a light-colored or bright clothing to the inside or contrary. Dark or bright color combination will help the upper body look more proportional.

4. Wear a dress with V neck pieces and avoid clothing with round neck model. It will make the chest look full.

5. Avoid tops with details such as accent ruffles, frills or embroidered neck or chest.

6. You can also use accessories such as belts or choose a beautiful dress with detail at the waist and hips, to draw the eyes away from the chest.

Honored Contributor

I like something like this, assuming that it's not cut too low.

Valued Contributor

Being "busty" myself, I agree with vamp. I do not wear tight tops that draw attention to my chest. That being said, I also don't go for really loose tops either. There's a happy medium and you will know it when you see it. I got some nice soft, loosely gathered tops from Kohls that I like. Just enough gathering at neckline to flatter the bust without emphasizing it. They look good with a lightweight open jacket...no buttons or zippers.

Honored Contributor
I'm busty but have a small waist. So I like plunging necklines and some waist detail. That works best for me. I do like tunics, but they have to be cut narrow through the middle. I don't wear ruffles or oversized tops.
Honored Contributor
I like to wear cardigans with a cami underneath. I button it at my waist only. You have to see what works best for you
Frequent Contributor

I'm similar in shape to Mary Beth. I've noticed she usually wears a cardigan or jacket buttoned under the bust, which made me re-think my loose tops. Maybe cinching near the waist makes for a more flattering silhouette.

Respected Contributor
This tiny busted woman is going to do the opposite, hoping mine will look larger. That should work? Right???
Esteemed Contributor
On 12/9/2014 brii said: I like to wear cardigans with a cami underneath. I button it at my waist only. You have to see what works best for you

I would go to a department store and try on tops, etc and see what works for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer wearing knit tops with a V or U neckline. I also like to wear a cardi or jacket over the top- nothing too tight or structured. The short over long layering helps to define the waistline without having to wear a belt. Your top should never be tucked in. Scarves are good, and necklaces should be bold/ chunky. Delicate chains get lost in the cleavage. I have learned to work with what I have.