Esteemed Contributor

difference between wearing leggings and tights

help a fashion-confused woman out please. I spent 42 years wearing scrubs (well, except for the early years when I had to wear a starched white uniform), and my out-of-scrubs uniform has always been mostly blue jeans. I'm trying to update my look now that I'm retired and I think I'm a little confused about what is appropriate to wear with leggings, as opposed to tights. I understand that tights would be worn under skirts or dresses, but what does one wear with leggings? I'm 5'3",63, and round in the middle and for years I've read that shorter tops & sweaters make your legs look longer if you're not a tall person. but with leggings, I guess that rule would be out regardless of one's height. right?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Regular Contributor

Re: difference between wearing leggings and tights

I'm a year younger, and an inch shorter than you. I ONLY wear leggings with a longer, and somewhat looser top. I like wearing knee high boots with this kind of outfit. If I wear ankle high boots, I look too much like an elf {#emotions_dlg.scared}. I think people with longer legs can get away with the short boots and look fine. Try some different tops and boots with your leggings, you'll know what looks good on you.

Respected Contributor

You can also wear a ballet type flat for a casual look, and something more comfortable for the indoors.
Honored Contributor

I think at your age and body type - round in the middle - you would want to try those leggings on and carefully look in the mirror with a critical eye. I can't imagine you will like what you see. Leggings are for very thin young women with perfect figures. No matter what the style is women need to look at it and see if it is appropriate for them.

Trusted Contributor

PSA: Do not wear leggings with a short top! Ever!

Honored Contributor

My college girl friends don't think there's any difference at all, so several of them look as though they're running around in underwear, and that appears to be their intention.
Respected Contributor

Leggings can be a wonderfully flattering look if styled right.

Contrary to what HH says, they are not only for young, very thin women.

Choose a legging with a good fabric content and a little weight. Start with black until you get used to styling them. Look around for tunic tops that are more fitted at the bust and A line at the hem. Make sure they are long enough to come down to the thigh area. You will camouflage a round middle and accentuate lovely legs.

Boots and leggings are a good match. Flat casual shoes also work. I'm not a big fan of dressy high heels with leggings.

When done correctly, leggings can be miles more flattering than the dumpy uniform of shapeless jeans and sweatshirts.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I don't like the way leggings look or feel on me but I like the look on others if worn correctly. To get a similar (but more attractive look for me) I wear slim cut knit pants. I particularly like the ones from JJill. They fit well, don't pill and are very slim without clinging like a legging or tight. However even in those I will only wear a tunic length top.

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.glare}Depends on the persons body shape. I always wear a looser sweater or top with skinny jeans, jeggings or leggings. I am not a fan of high heels period.. so, I wear a riding boot a uggs style boot or ballet flats with these types of pants. I never would wear a short top with these kind of close to the body pants.

Respected Contributor

Regardless of size, shape, height or age; you should always wear a tunic length top with leggings. Always. That means the top should always cover the "butt", it should always cover the crease where your thigh meets your torso. The top should fit loosely. If you are older or like me if you don't care for your thighs, you can wear a top that comes longer. Also, older women should be careful to choose a legging that has some "body" to them, a legging with stretch. Leggings are definitely NOT just for the very young or the very thin. Any woman can put together a leggings look that is flattering. Sometimes that means choosing a slim, straight cut, stretch pant. Which is what I do. I have heavier thighs, I don't wear leggings but no one would ever know it. My black leggings are actually a pair of slim, black stretch pants that I got from Old Navy. I wear tuck them into tall black boots and wear my long tunic length sweaters and tops and I don't mind saying....I look pretty terrific.