Honored Contributor

Winter Clothes - Difficult for those of us who are warm

I know this might be a strange question -- but at this time of the year when everything is big, heavy sweaters, boots, etc., do those of you who are always warm or who work in places that are kept very warm, have a hard time dressing appropriately for this time of the year?

I find myself having the worst time picking out clothes to wear. I want to dress so I look appropriate for the season, but so much of the stuff out there is just too hot! I don't want to wear summer clothes, 'cause then I look like an idiot, and if I go other places, then I am chilly!

I am aways looking for very, very light sweaters or long sleeve cotton tops, but then I feel like I have to drag an extra cardigan around just in case.

Just wondered if I am the only one who has a problem with dressing for this time of the year!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Contributor

Re: Winter Clothes - Difficult for those of us who are warm

You are definitely not alone. I am always on the warm side. My friends are thin layers and tops with 3/4 sleeves. I also wear a lot of dresses/ skirts when not at work (where I have to wear scrubs), which maximize ventilation :-) I do have a hard time when it comes to snow. When I wear a winter jacket, I end up getting so hot as soon as I start to shovel!
Honored Contributor

Where I work it gets so hot at times, I feel sick, like I'm having a heat stroke. A lot of people there are freezing continually and they are dressed up like they are going to the North Pole! Not to mention they are running little electric heaters in their individual offices, which certainly doesn't help matters for the rest of us either!

You brought up another good point which I had forgotten. Coats! I will leave my house to go shopping or something and I will be dressed appropriately, coat, scarf, gloves, etc. Then, I get in a store and it's so hot, I actually get sick to my stomach and have to leave. It's either that, or leave the coat in the car and hope you get a parking space that is near so that you don't catch a chill and get sick from that!

Yes, then shoveling ---you start to perspire and then you get clammy. That is definitely no fun either!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I worked in an office that was overheated, and they allowed smoking at the time, and women were required to wear skirts (don't ask).

A lot of us would leave one skirt in the office and wear it most of the week, in the Winter I would usually wear a very light weight long sleep top and layer on the sweaters to head out into the world

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

My office was always hot, and some employees would use space heaters on the top of it. Sometimes the office temp would be near 80 degrees. I always wear layers so I'm prepared either way - a cotton top with 3/4 length sleeves and a cotton cardigan sweater. I also have light cotton sweater sets from Lands End. The shell has short sleeves and that would help.

Respected Contributor

When I was working it was always too warm in my office and it was always me being too warm everywhere which made it worse. I wore a lot of twin sets - sleeveless shell/tank with matching cardigan or blazer. Even sleeveless dresses with a blazer or cardigan. I always wore a lot of peep toe and/or slingback shoes or even slides/mules without hose even in the winter.

Regarding coats: down coats are great. You can buy very thin ""packable"" down which is very comfortable but keeps you warm enough. Another idea - for shoveling snow or even shopping - try a down vest.

No need to wear sweaters either - buy long or 3/4 sleeved knit t-shirt type tops. Forget turtlenecks.

Honored Contributor

Layer, layer, layer. Stay away from wools, boucles, heavy knits. Wear seasonal colors in lighter weight fabrics. Wear open neck tops, turtlenecks keep the heat in. Interestingly, I have the opposite problem. I am always cold and my office is frigid. Too little heat in winter, arctic cold air conditioning in the summer. I do my layering in the summer. I wear bright colors but I never wear thin summer fabrics. I wear maxi skirts and I have a coordinating cardigan for each skirt. I don't look wintery because I wear springlike colors. But I cover up.
Respected Contributor

Wear lighter weight clothing in fall/winter colors. Long sleeve tshirts, blouses, lighter weight sweaters. It is not about weight or fabric content, it is about color.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

So nice to read other people have this problem. I try to explain its not hot flashes , I'm just plain warm. I live in the far north and still wear a vest with long sleeve top. At home I wear a Stan Herman sleeveless dress with a short sleeve top and birkie sandals while dh has long sleeve shirt, Levis, long underwear , slippers and covered with a blanket. I can't wear slippers , scarves, gloves etc. I actually got in a " fight" with a woman at work that would stuff towels in the ac vents at work because she was cold. Judging by how hot lots of people want it at work their homes must be 80. Mine is 68 year round and if I'm physically active that's too hot. I mentioned to my Dr and he said you just run warm Smiley Sad
Frequent Contributor

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm warm natured plus sized and live in the Deep South. Winter weight clothing definitely a problem for me too.