Esteemed Contributor

Need Opinions on Wardrobe Colors

After I retired last year, I finally let my hair grow out to white. My stylist is envious of the color, saying it's platinum white with pastel overtones. If I weren't retired, I'd still be seeing my stylist every 3 weeks for color and highlights.

So...now that I have this white hair, it seems to me that a great deal of my wardrobe is in stark contrast to that white: I have lots of black (from work) and lots of jewel colors as well.

I'd appreciate your opinions on what I might do color-wise. I have a rather fair complexion and do wear m/u every day. (Tan easily, but not so easy now that we moved to Portland.)

Since I don't work any longer, there is no need to spend a great deal of $$ on work wardrobe replacement. Looking at mostly casual clothing to purchase, but what colors should I look for?

Many thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Opinions on Wardrobe Colors

I think what colors you choose depend as much on your skin color as on your hair color. The colors you felt best in before are probably still your best colors, but most of us retired gals don't wear as much black as we did when we worked. Or we wear black and throw a colorful scarf or jacket or sweater over it. Most of us do need that life as we get older.

Honored Contributor

Try navy.......not as stark as black, and will still "go" with all your jewel colors

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I am very fair and when I let my hair grow out to natural silver grey, I found I needed to soften my colors a bit in my wardrobe and makeup. I know ladies with pure white hair that wear black and jewel tones and are stunning.

My only suggestion is, if your all-white hair is fairly new to you, give it a little more time for your eye to adjust to seeing it. I know it took a while for me to look in the mirror and not get a little jolt - I didn't look like myself, if that makes sense. Once your eye adjusts to the new hair color, it may be that the colors you are wearing don't look so stark.

Super Contributor

You should take an afternoon and go "color shopping." Take a variety of colors into the dressing room and try them on and see what color you think looks best.

My sister and I did that a few years ago.

I'm fair, blonde, light eyes. I wear a lot of black, jewel tones, and optic whites and creamy whites. I like the stark contrast.

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Just remember the white shirt goes with everything. Think of your new white hair in this way. I truly believe you will find that the new color will open up the entire crayon box for you. Of course your complexion will dictate which shades look better than others on you and take it from there. Enjoy retirement!

Super Contributor

If you look good in jewel tones you are probably a winter, and your beautiful new white/silver hair goes beautifully with your colors. You still need your cool toned makeup too. I agree with the poster who said consider replacing black with navy or charcoal for a softer hue that still mixes nicely with what you have. I especially like navy and charcoal eye pencil instead of black.

The good (or bad) news is, you don't need a whole new wardrobe!

A couple years ago I replaced my nude and taupe eye shadow with soft white, pastel blue lavender and pink, and I get a lot of compliments wearing those shades so my hunch is they would flatter you as well.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom has the same color white as you do O/P and she looks very pretty in jewel tones and pastels.

Honored Contributor

I was a natural redhead and always wore autumn colors but now that my hair has gone to pure white I find I need to wear stronger colors - now I tend to wear jewel tones more and black - and I get compliments that such and such are good colors for me - usually when I wear royal blues , royal purple or plum. I can no longer wear colors like brown, olive or any shade of yellow or gold. i think people with white hair look good in black or saturated greys but not silver grey.