Frequent Contributor

A humbling and eye-opening experience

After years of having my weight creep up, I have managed to drop almost 45 lbs with a target of 30 more to go. So, I took advantage of the long weekend to have a heart-to-heart chat with my closet and clean out the clothing that did not fit (and reacquaint myself with the remaining clothes that have not fit me for some time, aka shopping my closet). We have a small home and resulting closet space, so I am usually pretty good on keeping it tidy and making regular donations to charity. I was stunned at the amount of clothes I am able to now remove and the volume I still have in place. All this does is point out the huge amount of money I have spent over time to build up this volume of clothes--over a wide size range. I love the idea of keeping current, but with many of the classic styles I have purchased, they are still very wearable and fit in to contemporary styles. Add a few flourishes (i.e. scarf or jewelry) and I am set. It has really made me think about how I will spend my money in the future and really challenge myself on asking if I really need a new piece of clothing. This has really been a wake-up call for me. I have been fortunate to have comfortable discretionary income that has allowed me to add as my wardrobe, but now will really think twice about a new clothing purchase. Thought that many of you would be able to relate, as it is easy to get caught in the excitement of a purchase and the delight and something bright, shiny and new. I know I have and will in the future, perhaps with less frequency. Thanks for letting me share my experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A humbling and eye-opening experience

Black Friday shopping in your own closet! think of all the money you've saved and the wardrobe you can now put together. and congratulations on your weight loss. have fun with your ""new"" clothes

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your weight loss and I wish you continued success! Thanks for sharing your closet shopping experience. It makes sense to take an inventory of your closet before you go shopping.

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing.......I am in the same boat and need to follow your lead......you have given me the hope that I can make some changes after the holidays and simplify too..........I know it would make me happier.........Kudos on your changes!
Honored Contributor

Nice post/thread, and props on getting healthier. 8)

Identifying "wants" as "needs" is what gets most people in trouble.

Valued Contributor

Funny I just read your post & I just oh maybe a month ago went thru my closet. Unfortunatly I didnt have a weight loss but I am 64 & have not gained a lot but really havent lost any in a long time either. Kind of content with where I am. Anyway I went thru & tried on everything in my closet..put out piles..one for good will, one for 2 small, one for "just dont like & why the heck did I buy that!" I also made a stack for my younger sister who just started a new job. Nice stuff that I just either dont wear or didnt have the heart to just toss. Anyway my closets were so stuffed before that I really didnt know what I had! When I got thru emptying my closet I wiped the walls down, cleaned everything really good & put back just the stuff I really loved & wanted to wear! When I got thru..still have a lot but my closet looks so nice now! Very organized, I can see by just looking what I have! Makes it so much nicer to pick something to wear! Donated, gave to friends, and the best my sister text me that the clothes I gave her worked perfect for her new job & she didnt have to buy anything! It was like a load lifted to clean that all out! I had stuff with the tags still on! I cant belive what I had to have spent on clothes! So what I have now is what I will wear! I have still watched the Q but now I do limit watching & when I do watch I try to see how to put the clothes I have, together for new looks. And if I see something that temps me I just tell myself...you have plenty of clothes & your closet is so nice now! Funny when I see my friends now it seems like they are always asking if I just bought what I am wearing! I just say no it was hidden in my closet!! And that's no lie!! The feeling is like being liberated from a lot of excess baggage! I love it!!

Super Contributor

I hear ya! I've donated tons of clothes, feeling guilt about the money I've wasted, but someone will be lucky to get my basically brand new clothes. I also have several lifetimes worth of makeup, and if I wore different jewelry every day, I still wouldn't get it all worn before I die.
Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your weight loss and on decluttering your closet. I shop my closets regularly but I do need to relieve them of many items which I no longer wear.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Weight loss is SO much more than just appearance. SO happy for you! Enjoy every minute and don't look back I did the same thing as you did when you were overbuying, partly because it was SO hard to find clothes that worked. FRESH START! You and henny GET IT, OP, and you're both doing a great job "paying it forward". I'm so inspired by your post I think I may be able to part with the 17 micro fleece jackets I bought because I thought they hid my fat, but which now make me look like a character from an early Disney cartoon. THANK YOU!
Respected Contributor

Congratulations are in order. Giving away the larger sizes was a lot easier than finding replacements in smaller sizes. E-Bay was a good source for my leather skirts and pants. Good luck.