Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 11/22)

Good morning, shopping friends. I started the day with plans to go to the city and get my hair cut, colored and highlighted but then the phone rang. My Florida niece who has had numerous ups and downs since having her intestinal track removed requiring her to get her nutrition via a line is back in the hospital. The outlook isn't good.

Right now, I'm watching AM Style and hoping I won't be tempted by something while dealing with this last minute development. It is beyond my control but my thoughts are with her and her SO as they face the recent developments. The SO is the ex-husband. They got back together but never remarried but had planned to do so. I have never seen anyone so devoted to someone during this very long process as he has been toward her. I know men around here who would do the token thing of dropping in the hospital room for a few minutes and disappearing and who would never think of staying with someone who required attention 24/7. She was in rehab learning how to adapt to living in a wheel chair as she developed paralysis in the lower limbs and was looking forward to returning home once she had completed the occupational therapy.

I will go ahead and go to the city and get the hair done. After that, all is up in the air. I may buy myself a big pumpkin pie for comfort. After all, pumpkin is a veggie and veggies are good for you.

I keep going back and forth on the decision about the WEN TSV. I would not use them as individual gifts so it would result in storage when I already have a 32 oz of WEN to start using up. I think I am leaning toward not getting it but buying the WEN when I need it and not in anticipation of a need.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 11/22)

Hi Ladies!!! Jean, my thoughts and prayers are with your niece and your family during this difficult time. I have thought about the WEN TSV, but like you, have some as backup already. Love the logic with the pumpkin pie...sounds good to me!

Kathleen, hope Vegas is treating you well!!

I have been keeping up with everyone, but haven't had the time to post. My mom had a fall in rehab and it has caused quite a setback. Luckily, her hips are ok, but she has a broken nose and some other bumps and bruises, and because she is on an anticoagulant, other issues have surface. Please keep her in your prayers, if you could. I will try to check in a little more often.

Wishing you all a wonderful Saturday...enjoy!!!

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Jean: Sorry to hear about your nieces condition. You are right, it is great that her SO is that dedicated, true unconditional love is rare.

Not much going on here today. We are supposed to get slammed with strong thunderstorms tonight. My dog gets nervous with storms so I hope they pass quickly.

Still working on T day plans. A few of us in the neighborhood that don't have family plans may get together do a pot luck etc and watch football. I could enjoy that if it develops.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. No shopping plans here.

Esteemed Contributor

Karen--I am so sorry about your mother. I understand about the complications from the anticoagulant as I am also on one. I bruise so easily so there could be some internal bleeding, etc. associated with the fall. Our prayers are with her and you, of course, and thank you for thinking of my niece and her family.

Kathleen--Enjoy Vegas. It has been several years since I've been there. I used to go there every couple of years. I rotated between it and Reno. There are many great sights to visit in the area, including a great outlet center.

Gayle--I hope the thunderstorms are not too severe. In my personal opinion, I think the potluck Thanksgiving sounds great! It includes togetherness without the stress of typical preparation.

I'm getting ready for the run to the city. I'm debating a stop at WalMart on the way back. I had planned to have a late lunch with a friend but I think I need to get back home, and may cancel the WalMart trip because it is always packed on the weekend. The late lunch/early dinner out was to have been our Thanksgiving dinner. He goes in for heart surgery on Monday.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Prayers for all of you while you are dealing with your niece's health issues again. Her SO sounds great. Have fun in the city. Prayers also for your friend dealing with heart surgery soon.

Karen, Prayers & hugs coming your way as you are dealing with your mom's health issues. My mom's severe eye problems have been very stressful for both of us. I am slowly trying to get back to normal. Right now I am being good to myself.

Gayle, we got freezing rain last night, but it is supposed to be in the 40's today & tomorrow. We have had a very cold week with highs only in the teens. I turned the furnace up early this a.m. just in case the power went off. Thankfully it didn't.

I have been AWOL this week. I did read but didn't have time to post. DH & I ended our 8 week eye duty schedule on Tuesday. Mom is now doing them herself & still has a helper coming in at 7:00 this week yet. On Tuesday we just relaxed & stayed home. I did get a much needed nap.

On Weds. we had a nice cousin's outing with about 18 of my cousins meeting at a nice cafe for lunch.

On Thurs. DH & I headed for Madison first thing in the morning. We had a fun shopping day. I did get two nice pairs of hoop earrings at Kohl's. They were both greatly on sale so I got them both for $16.00 One pair is gold/silver & the other pair is gold tone. My fingers don't work with posts. Then we went to JCP & I got two nice pairs of capris. One pair is lemon yellow & the other pair is lime green. There was a coordinating top that matches both perfectly. I got all 3 things for $10.45. They are all Alfred Dunner. Nice traveling fabrics. DH did buy himself a nice sweatshirt & a pair of much needed slippers. After we were shopped out, we went to the dealership to pick up our new Suburu Forester. Then back home to the insurance company.

Yesterday DH & I had our eyes tested. I got new frames as mine are 5 years old. We got groceries & enjoyed the hot tub.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Very sorry to hear about your niece Jean. I am praying for her. It is nice that her SO has really stepped up. Hope your trip to the city goes okay. It is a shame that you don't feel that you can have your early Thanksgiving dinner, but I can certainly understand. I would definitely treat myself to the pumpkin pie if I were you. I do love pumpkin.

Hi Karen -- sorry to hear about your Mom's health issues. Hope she improves soon, and I will pray for her. We have missed you, and I hope you will be able to post more often.

Nice idea about the Thanksgiving potluck Gayle. There is a dinner at my church where the turkey will be provided, but people are being asked to bring the sides and dessert. I did consider going, but decided against it. The Salvation Army is also having a big dinner here, and one of the ladies in my "class" will be serving there. I will help serve a Thanksgiving dinner at the senior center on Wednesday -- they have invited the blind veterans in addition to our usual clients. So, they needed additional volunteers. I know working two days in a row will be tiring, but worth it. Our Thanksgiving will be quiet with just the two of us, but....

Your cousins outing sounds great twinny. I am not in contact with any of my cousins, unfortunately. Glad you were able to get your new car, and your Mom is able to give herself the eyedrops. You got some great deals at Kohl's -- good for you!

I read an article that Kathleen posted on FB about how many clothes are being discarded after very few if any wearings. Apparently, some thrift shops are receiving way too many clothes, and some are ending up being made into cleaning cloths, etc. What a shame. I am trying to keep this in mind when I am tempted to buy more clothes. I have so many clothes, but find I "want" new things all the time.

Yesterday I discovered a note from the water company saying that we had been using abnormally large amounts of water, and suggesting that there might be a leak. I panicked and called the plumber as well as the water company. I knew he was going on a two week vacation, but I wanted to know if the work he did used a bunch of water. Apparently, it did, but he agreed to come down here (he doesn't live that close) this afternoon. I don't think that there are any leaks, but I will feel better once he checks it out. Very nice of him to volunteer to come today.

Meanwhile, I have my regular laundry to do as well as my weekly financial stuff. I made a pumpkin caramel pecan cake yesterday, and it was pretty good. Perhaps not quite as nice as the piece I had at COSTCO, but I just couldn't bring myself to make the icing that was suggested. Too many calories, sugar, and fat.

Waves to Kathleen -- looks like you are having fun in Vegas, Arlene, LindaR, Marijane, Susan, Rosa, Val, Nancy, Sonya, Kelli, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Enjoy your new car and your great buys from Kohls. You had a very successful day. It is also good that your mother is now able to put in the eye drops herself; this will free you up and relieve some of the stress.

Linda--I talked with the person I was going to meet for the late lunch/early dinner. He was having chest pains and difficulty breathing and wanted to think it over about meeting for dinner. He usually decides to meet whenever he has a health issue no matter how bad he feels. I just decided it was best for both of us that we wait until another time. Neither of us are big on holiday celebrations, so we can get together anytime.

I did stop at Walmart to get some winter preparation things when I found they were scarce here. I didn't want to get got without things on hand. I also got my pumpkin pie and another one of those infinity scarves like I got there the other day. I got the last black one to go with everything and keep the neck warm when I venture out this Winter. I also did a fast food stop at Wendys to get the asiago chicken club sandwich to have for dinner. I love that sandwich and haven't had it for a long time.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

So sorry to hear about your niece, Jean - I updated the original prayer request for her on my board with the latest info, and Karen, I'll also add a prayer request for your mom.

Jean, I'm not a pumpkin fan at all, but if you do get the pie, make sure you eat it properly:

Twinny, you got yourself a really good deal! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Alfred Dunner makes some cute tops and it's one of the few brands that makes quality items anymore, although I was disappointed with the last top I got from that company: it had spandex added to it, and kept riding up, so I gave it away.

Not a whole lot going on around here. Last night I picked up the few things I needed at Aldi and stopped by Tractor Supply to get the dogs some pig ears, which they love as a treat. They had some nice big ones, so I got two extra for them to have on Thanksgiving. I picked up some chicken & shrimp Kung Po for dinner as it's been a long time since I had Chinese food, but the shrimp tasted a bit "off" - that was a pretty much a waste of money. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

The temps are back in the 60s today, so I'm headed off to the PO as soon as I'm through here; hopefully, the watches I ordered for the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes have arrived, as I have to deliver the boxes tomorrow. If not, well...I'm going to contact the seller and request a refund, as I have no need of 10 kids' watches and the batteries won't be good by next Christmas. I guess I'd better also take advantage of the warm weather and take the dogs for a walk.

Have a blessed evening, everyone!