Esteemed Contributor

What to wear on a cruise. Help. Please.

Leaving Dec 7 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Coming from MidAtlantic region that tends to be cold. Also staying with my daughter on the way back. Three week total.

I have no memory of what I wore last time. I am wondering if cruiseware includes Jeans, sweaters. Do I wear light fabrics and light colors or do I stick with winter themes... darker clothing, heavier clothing.

I do not wear shorts. I just don't know what to pack for Florida like climate.

And I don't know how many skirts and bottoms I should include.

I keep packing and unpacking the same suitcases.

Respected Contributor

Re: What to wear on a cruise. Help. Please.

Cruisewear traditionally in the tropics tends to be light and bright.

I always bring flowing skirts when I travel. They are cool, they look put together and not sloppy. You can add a tee or tank for warm weather and a sweater over it for cool evenings. And they are comfortable. I like knit pants (light weight) or white denim or if you like those Slinky type pants, cropped or long, they are also good.

I bring scarves that can be shrugs or shawls. Sandals. I usually have some big costume jewelry that can dress up an outfit but not be worrisome along on a trip.

I usually bring a maxi skirt that can take a pretty top for dressy nights. (Turns it into a formal.) I don't like "ballgowns" so I refuse to buy them. I'll wear a sequin tank and long skirt instead.

Honored Contributor

The ship tends to be chilly in the dining room and theater and on deck it can be very breeze. Cute dresses that can double as bathing suit cover ups are great. Personally I would not wear jeans I would opt for lighter fabrics. The cruise ships usually collect your luggage the last night of the cruise so account for that and bring an extra bag for the items you did not send ahead etc.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Bonnielu, I don't have any good suggestions as I have only cruised 3 times. Two times to Alaska & once to the Caribbean many years ago. I just want to say HAVE FUN!!! I love getting ready for a trip & I also pack & repack for two weeks before we go anywhere. I am sure that these gals will have some great ideas for you though. I do know that it is easier packing when the temps are on the mild/warm side.

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I have been cruising since our 25th Anniversary and we love it. However, we don't fly anymore if we can avoid it (getting to Europe may prove to be problematic however) We usually get on a boat where we can drive to the port. We love it because they do the driving and I only pack and unpack once to get on. That is it. I agree with the suggestions regarding lightweight fabrics and long skirts, or those crush-able fabrics that can be rolled up and hung out to wear. Enjoy.

Frequent Contributor

Hi bonnielu. We are sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on the 14th. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Like you, I don't wear shorts. I wear a lot of linen...pants, shirts, jackets. I agree with another poster that sweaters are good for the dining areas, theatre and on deck. I usually take a cotton sweater or two. Flowing skirts are also a good idea as stated previously. These days you really see everything on ships, including jeans, but I think they would be too hot in the Caribbean. I would pack lightweight items you can layer. On the first and last evening it will be chilly on deck as you will be off the coast of Florida. I have taken a light- weight hoody for those nights so I could walk on the jogging track.
Honored Contributor

Lots of Quacker Factory.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

We just returned from a 3 week cruise through the Panama Canal. It was hot and humid everywhere. I wore capris and colorful cotton tops. For evening I brought a linea black skirt, jjill black slacks and a couple of dressier tops. I used a black logo jaket as a coverup. You do not need jeans and sweaters...we were very careful with hand washing and used sanitizer constantly. There are noroirus outbreaks in the region.
Respected Contributor

Also..do not overpack..I brought 3 changes of clothes plus what I was wearing. There are washing machines available and having laundry done is not too costly.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. I am still packing and have exchanged what I had. I will be leaving in cold and arriving in warm. I am okay with the leaving but the last time we came back the shuttle could not find us to bring us back to the hotel. Not sure why. Anyway we were out on the platform waiting with Florida clothes in Baltimore weather. I just want to get it right.

I have many double like flowing skirts. They have a banded elastic top that pulls over a bathing suit. Got them online Ebay from an Asia manufacturer. They are multi purpose. I just am one to want to bring just one or two colors. Not sure I will win this one. I started with black, red and white and added some blue floral and doubled my suitcases weight. Not knowing when to stop and packing too much is my main problem.