Respected Contributor

NOW IT'S A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!

When I purchase an item from QVC I add on about $10 to the item. Lately my S&H and tax come to about that amount. I was looking at the Isaac Mizrahi cashmere cardigan and noticed that the S&H was $9.47. I then looked at his cashmere sweater coat. The S&H was $9.97. You cannot tell me that those 2 items cost the same to send. The sweater coat must be much heavier. I am very tolerant of QVC's costs, but this seems totally off the wall. I shop at NeimanMarcus.com and Nordstrom.com and all the S&H is free!

Honored Contributor

Re: NOW IT'S A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!

Shipping costs keep me from buying from the Q...I have had to send back 3 items this month...at my expense. Unless I know it truly will fit, or the make up colors are almost perfect.....I will not purchase, it is just to expensive.

Super Contributor

Not all of the cost is shipping, some of it is handling. They have to pay those people that find, wrap, address and then ship the item. I think those sites that offer "free" shipping has the shipping and handling cost built into the price of the item.

Esteemed Contributor

The cost of insurance based upon the price of an item also enters into it. Sometimes, a loss leader with reduced or less shipping is offered but it is hoped that you will add more to the order to compensate.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Super Contributor

I understand the concepts of "handling" and insurance being built in, but it's the psychology of it. For example, the Vionic/Orthoheel are smart, imo, to just have s/h included in the price. Mentally, it just "feels" better, if that makes any sense. I find myself ordering a lot more from Nordies ever since they started the free s/h and in my short lifetime (lol), I've rarely returned an item to them, either.

I still order from the Q, but much less than I use to a few years back and it's solely because of the s/h cost - more importantly, the cost should you have to return the item. I like a lot of their offerings, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, they are not all that cheap on most items to start out with, so when you factor in s/h (and God-forbid, you should have to return/exchange!), sometimes it's just not worth it. Again, this is my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

So glad to see these kinds of observations coming up more and more frequently. About time QVC shoppers woke up! The S&H here is ridiculous and totally out of line with what is offered by competitors. The charges are high, but even more absurd is the fact that the S&H charges are levied per item, regardless of the number of items offered, their weight, or the fact that they could often be packaged and shipped together! For me, S&H abuse on QVC makes the difference between just window shopping and actually buying. I just will not do it!

Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 californiamomofthree said:

I understand the concepts of "handling" and insurance being built in, but it's the psychology of it. For example, the Vionic/Orthoheel are smart, imo, to just have s/h included in the price. Mentally, it just "feels" better, if that makes any sense. I find myself ordering a lot more from Nordies ever since they started the free s/h and in my short lifetime (lol), I've rarely returned an item to them, either.

I still order from the Q, but much less than I use to a few years back and it's solely because of the s/h cost - more importantly, the cost should you have to return the item. I like a lot of their offerings, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, they are not all that cheap on most items to start out with, so when you factor in s/h (and God-forbid, you should have to return/exchange!), sometimes it's just not worth it. Again, this is my opinion.

I was just discussing this last night with my daughter wrt the Q's food items. I think it's much less off-putting to see an overpriced food item with the shipping and handling included than to see an overpriced food item with some additional outrageously high shipping and handling. It's still overpriced, but people just think about it differently.

Super Contributor

the cost of shipping and insurance make me sad some time.

Honored Contributor

Whatever..... QVC charges for.....shipping....and handling (whatever handling means). It's not and never has been just a shipping charge. What difference does it makes if you don't even shop with QVC ?

Trusted Contributor

I looked at a few items yesterday in my Wish List and the shipping had gone up 50 cents. Some items are getting close to the $8 mark to ship-ridiculous! QVC should do a flat rate like Macy's does.