Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 11/15)

Good morning, shopping friends. We are having a heat wave expected today. Right now, it is 13 degrees but expected to heat up to a high of 18 today. Wow!!! Needless to say, the newly acquired Dennis Basso coat is coming in handy, a coat for which I've received many great comments.

I have to run to the city today to get a complete EKG, etc. done. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on December 5 but the GI won't do it until he sees the results from the EKG. I was scheduled to have one in December so I'll just have these results sent to the cardiologist.

I've been exhausted from all the work. There is a possibility that the teacher may not return next week so I might be going back to that job. Dealing with that combined with the fatigue, etc. from the newly discovered low red blood count and iron deficiency has been a challenge. I've just basically been collapsing when I get home with little done around the house. Right now, I feel fine with a great night's sleep which began at 7pm with a 2 hour break at 1am.

I spent part of my 2 hour break looking at the TSV. I have no problem with the bag but I no longer spend that type of money on a handbag. In fact, the most I've ever spent was around $180. Now, I don't care for classic bags that last for years. I like diversity and still have bags that look new that are five years old. I'm very much into lighter weight bags because of the shoulder issue and also prefer that they can be worn cross body because of the shoulder, especially when traveling.

I'll be getting ready for the hour and a half trip one way to the city. After the EKG is done, I'll drop into WalMart and buy some necessities including the goodies required for the purge before the colonoscopy. I don't see any other shopping on my radar at this time. If I get the urge, I'll just ask myself if I'm willing to work the amount of time required to buy the item. Trust me, one of the classes I've had would either motivate you to buy out of comfort or not buy because of what one had to endure....different reactions based upon what the item would remind me of when I used it. I know of an item I'm interested in but I don't know that I would be willing to put up with 8 class periods of this specific 7th grade class. Individually, they are good kids but their interests are definitely not tied into school. Everyone dreads this class.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 11/15)

I guess we had a record low temperature and it officially isn't winter yet. I guess this will be another year of abnormally long months of winter-like temperatures. It didn't used to be like this. Summer was like Spring, and Fall was too short. I guess we buy winter clothes that can be used 3/4's of the year now. I'm preparing to wear a jacket under the Basso coat that I once could wear without an outer coat in December. We would just have mostly 30s in December. Most of the nation is affected, however, so I'm not alone; the interesting thing is that those who once loved to look forward to a snow, etc. are now bemoaning the cold and snow after last year and this year's early emergence of winter.

I'm off to the city. If I had a choice, I would stay inside the house.

Brrrrrrr.......

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Jean: The polar blast here has brought us down to the 40's. A big change from the 80's. I actually get to wear a jacket, sweater etc. I know you will be glad to have the medical work up done. Sending good thoughts your way.

I must say that I am getting tired, already, of all the holiday commercials. I needed to buy some new workout gear and the store was playing only Christmas songs. One of our local radio stations is Christmas music only and that started the first week of November. Normally it is an oldies channel which I enjoy. I guess I like to ease into the holiday spirit but retail doesn't allow that to happen.

There is not much else going on here. We have a few errands to run. I really need to clean the house but I have been saying that the last 2 days. Today, maybe I will get serious with it.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, It is cold here too, but no snow until probably tonight. I do like a White Christmas, but that is still weeks away. Good luck with your testing & prayers for good results. It is hard to rest properly when you are busy with numerous things going on at once. I like crossover bags & light weight ones when I shop. It is exhausting for me to carry a heavy bag & do shopping at the same time. I did buy a very nice leather crossover bag last year at the QVC outlet store. It is Maxx NY two tone navy blue/deep raspberry. I got it for $25 which was 1/2 price. It matches almost all of my fleece coats/jackets. It will be my go to bag until next spring.

Gayle, I am already tired of the Christmas music in our stores too. At least our local radio station plays great oldies & country western all afternoon each day. It sounds like most of the country is going the same cold spell. We are fortunate that we aren't as cold as many places & so far no snow. The N. part of our state got 18+" of snow on Monday & we got none.

Yesterday my infusion went well, so I am praying for a little extra energy. It has been a rough 7 weeks for me. I need to take care of myself & have a little more "me time." I had a great lunch at the clinic so that is a plus. My only side effect is drowsiness. A nap cures all of that. One of my BF's & her DH came late afternoon for cards & then supper at a very nice Italian restaurant in our hometown. They were actually featured on a TV station & it aired while we were there. Very nice. Us gals weren't very lucky though as we lost every game.

DH is cleaning the house right now. I did a little cleaning yesterday so I am taking it easy today. Mom's eye drop duty will start for me at 11:00 & end with DH at 7:00 tonight. Mom did tell my DH last night that she thinks she can see a little bit better. We are so hoping for some sight to return soon.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Hope your tests go well Jean. I have to say just reading your schedule makes me feel tired. And, like you I am no fan of cold weather. I guess the only positive is that you have a chance to wear your new coat. That class you are teaching sounds dreadful. I am one who buys a purse and uses it for months on end, so I do like a classic purse. But, I have never paid more than $100 for a purse, and I won't be starting now.

Hi Gayle -- I don't like all the holiday music and promotions so early either. I do enjoy Christmas carols when the timing is appropriate, but now they sound out of place. I don't think our radio stations have turned to Christmas music yet, thank goodness. I am another one who keeps thinking about house cleaning, but doesn't do it. Hopefully that will change today.

It would be great if your Mom's vision improved twinny. These weeks and weeks of eyedrop duty have certainly been hard on you. Do take care of yourself, and try to fit in as much fun and rest as possible.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Rosa, Karen, Val, Kelli, Nancy, and all of our posters and readers.

I can't remember if I posted here again last night, but I did leave the potluck early, so DH and I had dinner on time. I know he was happy to see me. Fortunately, several of the ladies left early, so I didn't feel too bad about doing so. I met a very nice lady there, who happened to be one of the club officers. I raised the issue of having meetings late in the day, and she said she would raise it with the board. They were asking for people to sign up (and pay) for next year, but I held off on that. I also did well with limiting my potluck eating. I did have a couple of small appetizers and a cookie, but then I skipped dessert when we ate dinner.

Army DGS registered for college yesterday, and I'm pretty excited that he took that step.

I really liked the SG jacketA259590 shown this morning, but it is so a "want" that I have resisted so far.

DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and I plan to do my regular laundry and financial stuff today. Also plan to make some split pea soup. I really need to do some cleaning.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm back from the city. The sun was out which made it a good day. I can deal with the cold when it is sunny. After the test, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some food needs plus the requirements for the cleansing for the colonoscopy. I plan to eat little the week of the test. I despise plain Jello so the day before the test will be a diet of clear apple juice, low fat chicken broth plus all that junk I have to drink. I guess I won't be straying far from the white throne.

Gayle--Those holiday ads and commercials are very old. I tend to block them out. I'm one that doesn't even watch Christmas movies. I find them a little depressing and not typical of any Christmas I had growing up. Now, that I'm the only one left of the immediate family, it is just Midnight and me and we celebrate the way we want.

Twinny--You got a great price on that handbag. It is from one of the lines that was once very popular but is now gone. I really hope you get some relief from the eye drop duty soon and that your mother's eyesight improves. You have enough stress with having to do infusions, etc.

Linda--The most expensive bag I ever bought was a Coach which I got at an outlet. It was a great bag but it was a big empty hole and lacked organization. At the time I got it, I was being influenced by the Coach hype. I sold it when I found it didn't really work well for me. I have some B Mak bags which are crossbody bags which I use often but most of them were bought new with tags on eBay from a seller in my state. My favorite big bags are the Tiganello A220099. It organizes so well and holds so much without overwhelming you with the size and weight. I have it in black and in red and have had them at least two years. I have a Travelon bag that I like very much which I often use when traveling as it has great organization and is not a dark hole. Everything can be retrieved quickly.

My opinion on purchasing expensive bags is to wait for them to show up in "as is" or on eBay. I haven't purchased a bag from "as is," but I did purchase a garment and there was nothing wrong with it.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls,

I wrote a long post yesterday, then Whisper jumped on the keyboard as I was copying it before I submit it, and that was the end of that... {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} I didn't feel like re-writing it all again.

It's cold here as well - down to the 20s at night, and right now it's only in the 40s. I hate winter - it's the only season I don't like at all.

I'm another one who is sick and tired of all the Christmas hype already - they've been airing Christmas commercials when I watch my shows on the CBS app since the week before Halloween. They get people's expectations so high for the "perfect" Christmas, and of course it never is - not to mention by the time the day arrives it's anticlimactic and over with before you know it. No thought is given to those who don't have family and are alone for the holidays - and the whole "Christmas joy" thing is so asinine - the true joy doesn't come from getting more stuff you don't need (and often don't want). I've really come to hate the "helliday" season - it can't be over with soon enough!

Gayle, I need to get moving with the cleaning as well; I've done a few small tasks here and there, and do see a difference, but I just haven't had the energy to get it done. This weekend I want to get a few things posted on-line that I want to sell - the Basso faux mink, a half dozen pair of new shoes (including some purple Uggs clogs that I don't know why I bought since they don't go with much), three pair of boots, my golf equipment, crafts supplies....if I sell it all I'm looking about an additional $700.

I'm also considering a PT job, but really don't want to work retail, and there's not much else available. I do love writing and am good at proofreading and editing, so I've been looking into starting a business of my own doing those things; with the internet it doesn't matter where my customers live, and I can accept payments via Amazon. My research shows that the going rate is $25-35 an hour, so it behooves me to give it some serious consideration.

LindaL, with several of you leaving the potluck early maybe the organizers will get the hint that a dinner pot luck isn't such a good idea. Wink

My most expensive purse is a Coach, and I don't use it; like you, Jean, I also have several purses that are pretty much "big holes" on the inside (although I won't even consider a purse without some outside pockets). One of my purchases from Amazon was a purse organizer which I had originally intended to give to my favorite cousin, since my "theme" for her Christmas present this year is purses, but when it arrived and I got a good look at it, I decided to keep it for myself:

I think that will work nicely with big "black hole" purses, and my cousin is still getting plenty of gifts: a purse, a Storybook Knits top with purse design, a watch that comes in a tiny purse, and purse necklace, bracelet, and earrings...I even found gift bags that are in the shape and design of purses!

Meanwhile, I checked my SHQP account, and thought my Value Pays were done with, but no...there's one final payment on the Anushka purse that I bought...and still haven't used Never again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Twinny, I expect you're going to do something to celebrate when your "eye drop duty" is over with! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I guess I'd better get moving - I have a couple of kitties around me, and Whisper is wanting to get on my lap. He's the sweetest cat imaginable! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--I like that purse organizer. I have the one from QVC which I use more in my under the seat carryon which looks more like a very wide handbag with three sections. I'm with you on the holidays; it is a mixed blessing.

Respected Contributor

Good evening. In the 40's and mistry rain here---blah day. Had to venture out. Had internet issues--spent a long time with the phone company on the phone---.

Also needed dog food. So I had to get out and about.

There is a new store open in the shopping center with the pet store---oh my goodness the traffic was horrible.

Finally got home---Fred was able to ride as it was cool enough. He was looking for his treat when I got back to the vehicle---so I bought him two tiny dog foods. Also bought a bag to donate to the shelter/rescues.