Trusted Contributor

Just a line to share yesterday's Goodwill score -- a brand new, dressy, lined pinstripe jacket with the $240 Macy's tag still attached -- for $5 and change! Classic and just my plus size; a perfect fit. I picked up several other nice things, but this was the find of the week. I just love thrift shopping!

I need to learn how to resell things on eBay. I find a lot of great stuff in great condition.

Respected Contributor

If you are one of those people that has a good eye and have time and luck finding great deals you should invest some time and learn how to sell on eBay.

A dear friend of mine does this. She shops yard sales, auctions, thrift stores, etc and sells all kind of "stuff" on eBay.

She made over $35,000 her first year. Not bad for selling stuff I would throw out! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Trusted Contributor

$35,000??! Whoa! I think I feel a retirement career coming on! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Another time I found a new Eileen Fisher wool jacket with a $360 tag from Dillard's still on it. I routinely snag fashion and home items with upper-end labels and great quality. I think I really could make some money doing this.

Trusted Contributor

duplicate

Trusted Contributor
On 11/14/2014 Pie1993 said:

You are lucky. Our Good Will is picked through or over priced - I am serious. The surrounding neighborhoods are upper-middle class to wealthy residents who donate several times a year. Someone did ask the Manager about charging $3 for a middle size glass vase and the Manager replied they where keeping up with the Market Prices.

Really ? - since everything in the store is DONATED and USED.

We still shop at Good Will because you can find some good stuff - but it used to be very upscale goods at reasonable if not give-a-way prices.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a major metropolitan area with numerous Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army, and other charity stores. I find some are much better than others. Of course, you can score a find anywhere at any time, but I find the stores located near affluent areas are generally much better hunting grounds. It also helps to know each store's policies, specials, and sale days. For instance, all Goodwills here have one tag color that is half price, and Tuesday all seniors (55+) get 25% off everything. St. Vincent de Paul has rotating prices on tag colors, with one color half off and one color $1. Salvation Army here has all clothing half off on Wednesdays and all other merchandise 25% off. Great deals to be had!

Super Contributor

Goodwills here in an upscale area of Florida are very expensive and mostly junk

Honored Contributor

I found a 10 piece Duralex glass mixing bowl set from France this week at the Goodwill store; with the 25% discount the set was $2.22. I think it is new and it sells for $60....love it!

Unfortunately, the Salvation Army here now has Jr. League members go through the donations and pull out "the good stuff" which they sell in a boutique in the back of the store....it is so overpriced I can do much better shopping at Macys during a sale.

Honored Contributor

You are lucky. Our Good Will is picked through or over priced - I am serious. The surrounding neighborhoods are upper-middle class to wealthy residents who donate several times a year. Someone did ask the Manager about charging $3 for a middle size glass vase and the Manager replied they where keeping up with the Market Prices.

Really ? - since everything in the store is DONATED and USED.

We still shop at Good Will because you can find some good stuff - but it used to be very upscale goods at reasonable if not give-a-way prices.

Goodwill donations are sent to a central location in each city regardless of where the donation is collected; the donations are then divided up and taken to the various Goodwill store locations.....they are rotated in and out of each store every week or so, so the affluent areas do not get better stuff than others...but I do think shopping there has become more socially acceptable so there is more competition for upscale stuff. I don't shop much for clothes there....takes me much too long. I love housewares, books, etc.

Honored Contributor

That was a great find{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} When we go to St Louis, my sister-in-law and I always go to the thrift stores. I have bought several high priced handbags for great prices.

Do you have any high-end second-hand clothing stores in your area? You might be able to sell your items at one of those stores.

I don't consign but sell outright.