Respected Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT---Veteran's Day

Pausing to remember the Veteran's past and present. One of my favorite pictures is one with my Mom's brothers and my Dad. They were all in their uniforms and in a line. Mother had seven brothers and six of them served in WW II along with my Dad. All have passed now but they proudly served.

Our weather is changing with the front blowing through. The wind has picked up and the temps will begin to drop.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT---Veteran's Day

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started today LindaR. Nice memories of your Dad and Uncles. My Father and his three brothers as and sister, as well as my Mom's two brothers also served in World War II. I wish I had such a nice picture of them. I do have one of my Dad in uniform.

We are having a big Veteran's Day celebration at the senior lunch program today, so I need to get ready now.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning! Thought I responded already - strange! I woke up happy, I guess because the cooler weather is blowing in. It's nice to wear boots again.

Thanks to all our veterans for paying a horrible price for our freedom. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well. Happy Veteran Day to all.

LindaR - Thank you for starting us today, get the winter coat out, it sounds like it is going to get very cold. How many days do you get of real cold weather in the winter? I guess today I am going to get the official winter coats out. I try to wait until the last moment to get them out of the cedar closet.

LindaL - Hope the lunch goes well today, what special presentation are they doing for it?

Not much going on here today, I do have to sweep and mop the kitchen floor (there, I said it now I have to do it). We are having a beautiful day here today, it is 66 degrees out and it is windy but the sun is out. Of course tomorrow this is all going away. I guess I should get myself ready for this but I just can't get excited about it.

Well I do need to get moving, hope everyone has a great day.

Honored Contributor

My husbands school celebrates Veteran's Day with a special program that features vets of various wars. My husband who is a Viet Nam vet dresses up in his Army uniform that still fits and proudly celebrates the day with the kids. The kids are very interested in the wars and the men and women who served, it's makes you wonder why only the 1% are courageous enough to serve.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, Nice memories for you that is for sure. 6 brothers & your dad in WW II is very nice. The northern part of our state got 18" of snow yesterday. We got none.

LL, You also had lots people in your family that were in the military too. Very nice. Our town doesn't have anything special going on today, which is so sad, but lots of the smaller area towns have many things going on.

RC, I like to wake up happy too. It was sleeting when I went to mom's early this morning. Then before I left her house, it was snowing. Thank goodness none of it stuck to the roads or sidewalks. They do say we are in for a long cold spell. I like to wear my winter boots & fleece jackets.

Susan, I am already geared up for winter. I don't like hot weather, so I always celebrate when August is done & over with. I do need to put my spring/summer clothes away though.

DH is mowing the lawn to use up the oil & gas in the mower. Neighbors probably think he is nuts as there is no grass.

I am still tired from our mini vacation, but it was so great to get away. Today when I went to mom's early, it was sleeting & before I left it was snowing. Nothing stuck to the roads or sidewalks, so that is good news. Yesterday was busy again with appts. for mom & us. Then I made my usual trip to the clinic pharmacy as one of her eye drops expires every 4 days. Only to be told that it wasn't made up yet. I told them to make it up for Weds. as mom has lab work tomorrow & she can pick it up. She has already informed me that she is going by cab tomorrow. She still has not gained any of her eyesight back, so it is risky when she goes out by herself.

Every time I go into mom's bedroom for eye drop duty, I see my dad's Air Force picture on her dresser. He served in WW II & they were married in England in 1946. She still has her beautiful wedding gown & it was made of silk from an actual parachute. She worked in a parachute factory.

Hugs to all of you.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, this day is off to a great start - NOT! I checked my bank balance, and see there was an overdraft fee because my mortgage payment is automatically deducted each month (from a different bank), and it went up almost $100. {#emotions_dlg.mad} Well, my bank is NOT supposed to honor payments that would cause me to be overdrawn as I refused that service, so I have to go there and complain. I got dressed...then remembered it's Veteran's Day, so I'll have to go tomorrow. It's always something, isn't it? I really need to talk to them about my mortgage and see if I can switch to them. My mortgage is with one of the "big guys," and my regular bank is a small community one that's not so quick to rip people off.

Twinny, your mom's wedding gown sounds interesting! Do you have any idea of how long "eye drop duty" will continue!

Nothing special on the agenda today, apart from cleaning. Seems I'm always finding something new that has to be done; for instance, the other day I realized the dining room light fixture needed to be dusted and the glass shades washed. I HATE cleaning - it never ends!

Yesterday we went to Aldi and Dollar Tree, where to my amazement they had...boxes of Valentine's Day cards! {#emotions_dlg.scared} Talk about rushing things! We stopped by Tractor Supply as the dogs love pig ears, so that's a special treat I try to get them a few times a month.

Well, it's 71°out, so I guess I'd better take the girls for a long walk while we still can do so.

Have a blessed day, everyone - and thanks to all our veterans!

Esteemed Contributor

The Veteran's Day celebration was very nice. First, there was a small parade. The junior ROTC kids were first (all in uniform, etc.), then the veterans most of whom were riding in antique cars. Then, there were veterans on motorcycles. Then there was singing by the child care kids (adorable), line dancing (very good), and then a presentation by one of the sponsors (health care company.) They gave large flags to all the veterans, and one veteran (Colonel, who was dressed in his uniform) received a special flag (very impressive). Then they had a drawing for a door prize -- the winner was a lady in her late 90's! After that we did the pledge and sang the National Anthem.

Rather than our regular lunch, we had hamburgers with the fixings, along with potato chips, sodas or bottled water, and ice cream sandwiches. I helped prepare things (like the lettuce, etc.), and then I served the burgers. Later, I helped clean away the dishes, clean the tables, etc. We had about 100 people, which is more than normal, but we also had more volunteers than normal. All went well, and I think DH enjoyed himself.

We will be going to the gym in an hour or so -- they are closed for cleaning now.

DD said that Army DGS along with his older brother were headed out to see what "free stuff" he could get. I guess he was looking for free coffee or sodas. I imagine he wore his uniform to prove that he was in the Army. What a character!

Very nice weather here, at least as far as I am concerned. It is warm (not hot), and sunny.

Hope everyone has a nice evening.

Respected Contributor

Linda I had to giggle about DGS out looking for free stuff! Everytime my brother was overseas, where the stamp goes on the envelope he writes "free mail" in. And they ask about military discount everywhere we go, and often gets discounted tickets. I hope DGS gets a lot of free stuff!

Esteemed Contributor

FHG, I hope you get your mortgage straightened out. Not a fun thing to go through I am sure. Eye drop duty will be at least another 2 weeks as that is when we go see the Dr. again. It is getting tiring but the a.m. helper is nice. DH does the last one at night as I don't like to go when it is dark outside. 70's is a thing of the past for us.

LL, Your celebration sounded so wonderful. My BF from HS went to Applebee's today for lunch with her DH as he is a Vet & they could get a nice free meal. I guess there were 7 selections to choose from. He was stationed in Germany. Hopefully your DGS will get some nice free things today also.

I did put up a few nice Thanksgiving things today & took down a few Halloween things to make the house look more fall like. It is dreary out & I like color. I also took my moped to mom's this afternoon. It was cool, but I hate putting on a seat belt & going 1 block & back home again.