Esteemed Contributor

What do you now wear that you NEVER imagined you'd ever wear?

Never say "never," right? What are some fashions that you swore you'd never ever wear---and now you wear and like? For me: 1) polyester.....in fact, anything except natural fibers. I used to be a natural fiber snob.....for about 20 years or so. Now, there are so many great created fabrics--and I love them! 2) I now wear prints. I only wore solids for many, many years. I now love prints. I even bought my first Vera Bradley bag a few months ago. 3) I never thought I'd buy clothes from QVC! Boy, has that changed! Anybody else have similar experiences?
Super Contributor

Re: What do you now wear that you NEVER imagined you'd ever wear?

Jeans. My parents didn't allow us to wear them and it wasn't until I was in my mid-40s that I owned a pair.

Now I wear them frequently.

Trusted Contributor

I get where you're coming from GG. I would have never thought I'd buy clothes from TV shopping but I do. Where I live, all we have is one Macy's with a very limited selection unless you want more resort wear. I buy from Q, HSN, ShopHQ and other online retailers (Soft Surroundings is a fave, as is Hautelook) depending on what I am looking for. I never thought I'd wear much sleeveless but love it due to climate (and working out my arms, LOL). I also never thought I'd love getting dressed up, make up and all, once I retired, but I love it on date night. There are probably more examples but these were top of mind tonight.
Valued Contributor

Prints for me too. I only ever wore solids but watching one season of Doc Martin (UK drama with one character wearing floral dresses) a couple of years ago had me running to order floral frocks from Boden.

I love them now. Can't imagine a summer without them.

Contributor

I never thought I'd wear tunic style tops or anything like Eileen Fisher. My waist was always very small and I was a "tuck-er". I cringed when women would wear their shirts untucked hanging out of a sweater.

Well, as you said..."never say never!" Now that I am 56 and am turning into a rectangle, I do well with skinnier bottoms and tunic tops over them! I am very selective with the LOGO line and that has worked ok for me. I do like Eileen Fisher now but it is pricey. I only get what I truly love from that line.

And since I am going to lose my weight and get my waist back (wink, wink, I know, but I AM trying!) I'll probably go back to tucking tops in more than not...it's just me!

Shari

Regular Contributor

Silver or white gold jewelry...always wore yellow gold only. Now that my hair is silver, I feel that white gold looks better on me.

Also never thought I would wear high heels without nylons. But I still think hose looks much better!

Honored Contributor

Mine is more what I miss! I had to move on from so many twi to three heel dress sandles! Now, after retireing from teaching and in retail, I am more conscious of the shoe's sole. I wear a lot of Born, Naot, andFly London, and Tsubo. With the cost so different, I have fewer colors!

Respected Contributor

Silver jewelry. For years I only wore gold. I thought silver was exotic. It took me awhile to realize that silver, and stainless steel, suit me better.

Our Jr. High school colors were purple and grey. I thought they were the ugliest colors on the planet. Now I love lavender, purples, and grey, and wear them a lot (though not necessarily together).

Generally speaking, I've become more selective over time about what I wear. My list of what I won't wear is a lot longer. I’ve learned what doesn’t look good on me and there’s no point in taking up those things.

Respected Contributor

Never would have thought that I would end up designing and sewing dresses and having so much fun wearing them (:
Regular Contributor

Readers. I always thought I wouldn't need them, now I can't see without them. : )