Trusted Contributor
Do you try to match your handbag to your shoes? I always feel a little strange with black shoes and a brown purse,especially in winter here in Philly. I never care in the summer for some reason. What about you?
Esteemed Contributor

I am a (somewhat sporadic) follower of Blair Eadie. I have noticed of late that she is coordinating shoes and bags and mostly in neutral colors -- blacks or browns.

I am so happy to see this revivial! I only hope that some posters who in the past found such gleeful joy in pointing out women who match at out of touch, dated and not relevant, can now swallow their words.

Honored Contributor

2zbeach, I am carrying a brown handbag right now and it doesn't bother me to carry it when I am wearing brown, blue, black or even red shoes. I'm speaking from a daily, going to work perspective where I wear loafers most of the time.

If I am going somewhere more dressy, I then pay closer attention to the bag and shoes matching.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Unless I am going to a dressy occasion, I usually have a black handbag. If I wear browns I wear my taupe bag. In the summer, I generally carry white and I wear a lot of white and color. I also have a sun yellow bag.

Super Contributor

In the winter, I usually match because I wear black boots most of the time and carry a black purse. In the summer, I never match. I wear several different color sandals, usually try to match them to my outfit and I carry a neutral bone/ivory color purse.

Honored Contributor

I like to match in all seasons except summer... ETA: maybe I should have written "be in the same color family." I rarely go anywhere that calls for dressing in such a way that shoes and purse would be exactly the same. If I feel that the bag and shoes coordinate, I feel comfortable with that.

If someone is going to be in a situation (for example -- a job interview) then I would suggest matching shoes and purse. Just 'cause, you never know the taste of the person who will be making the decision. That is what I would do.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Occasional Contributor
Interesting fashion question, because I think the general "guidance" has changed in recent years. I used to be really fixated on matching, but over time, and following what I see in the fashion press and in real life, I don't care as much. I generally feel that too matching is a dated look, and a neutral leather bag works best..but that's me. The exception, as others have pointed out, is a very dressy occasion. I will coordinate my clutch and evening footwear. I usually carry a neutral bag in the fall and winter (currently a taupe and black Tignanello, not a QVC version) so it works with both black and brown leathers. That said, I rarely wear browns...but again, that's just me. In the summer, my favorite work bag is a taupe patent Coach satchel, but for casual I'll carry something brighter, with a little more personality. I follow fashion and the trends, and adapt them to what works for me and my lifestyle. However, if someone is still matchy-matchy...good for her! If someone is completely eclectic...equally good for her! I don't understand the rancor in saying one hopes someone will "swallow their words" for pointing out what is, and is not, a current fashion trend. Why have that level of concern with what someone on an anonymous message board says about a fashion choice?
Honored Contributor

I was born without the handbag gene. I really don't worry about it, and I might only change it twice a year. I'm still carrying this one.

Sakroots Artist Circle Tablet Crossbody

Honored Contributor

I usually carry a black bag since most of my shoes are black but I carry different VB bags also. I do have a taupe croco D&B bag I carry too but I don't own any brown shoes or bags; I carry it with tan or bronze shoes. I don't change bags that often unless I am downsizing for church or a social event. I to match my shoes to my outfit but not my bag.

Esteemed Contributor

Decades ago, yes. Whenever I bought a pair of shoes, I bought a purse to match. And in cold weather, my leather gloves matched my purse and shoes also.

Those days are gone! I have one purse for winter, and one purse for summer. However, they usually sit in my closet because I tend to carry everything I need in jeans' pockets anymore.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt