Respected Contributor

OT What charities do you support

We are all getting solicitations this time of the year. I support a local food bank and Meals on Wheels. What about you?
Valued Contributor

Re: OT What charities do you support

After the economy took at downturn, we realized that we couldn't give $$$ to everyone who asked. It is hard, especially around the holidays.

We give monthly via automatic debit to MSPCA (animals) Dana Farber (cancer) and our church....even they do debit or credit. We do make some one time gifts every year...St. Jude, Farm Sanctuary and our local food bank.

It used to be a much longer list

Super Contributor

all of our charity money goes to Autism Speaks

Super Contributor

I have donated a LOT of nice things over the years to Goodwill. All clothing goes to a local women's domestic violence shelter. Monetary I give to the Red Cross. The Red Cross is always there to help people in a multitude of situations.

Honored Contributor

Audubon, World Wildlife Federation, PETA, Local Animal Shelters.

Respected Contributor

Mainly just my local Humane Society and other things to do with animals.

Trusted Contributor

Much of our giving is through our church, which has both local and Third World Country outreach in addition to Episcopal Relief &Development. In addition to that, we also budget a set amount of money each month to contribute on an ad hoc basis, usually to local organizations. I also donate clothes and household items that are in good shape rather than sell them.

Contributor

I keep all of my charity in my local community except one. The Shriners Hospital for Children (my father was a huge supporter and I am keeping his support going), our local art museum, and the school were I teach (PTA, canned food drives, candy sales for field trips, etc). The only non-local donation is to my nephew's theatre group in the Seattle area.
Respected Contributor

mostly just animal charities here too. We do give to the Salvation Army but NOT the Red Cross DH said he will never help them after experiences from in the service but he said the Salvation Army really helped and wouldn't take anything so he gives to them plus the Purple Heart(helps vets and their families) but most is for the animals and mostly local animals things.

Super Contributor

Fisher House, Wounded Warrior Project, and several local (NoVa) charities