Trusted Contributor

I know this is off topic but need your help with washer/dryer

The traffic on the home threads is so slow.

Please help with your suggestions.

I have a 14 year old Kenmore washer and dryer and they are about to go. The dryer is giving me a hard time and I know it is time to replace both. Repairing would probably cost more than the machine is worth at this point. I know because I had this problem a year or two ago. I inquired about fixing and based on the problem they told me about $350-400?? Miraculously the machine fixed itself{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I don't think I will get quite so lucky this time!

Is anyone really happy with their current models? I heard that I should not get a front loader? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: I know this is off topic but need your help with washer/dryer

Love, love, love my Whiripool front loader; I've had it for about four years now, it works great, and I've never had a problem.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an LG appliance - not sure if LG stand for "Lotta Grief" or "Lousy Garbage," but the stove and refrigerator I got from them have been a nightmare right from the start. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Regular Contributor

I have a GE washer and dryer-bought at Home Depot a year ago-Model# washer-#ghwn4250d, Dryer#ghdp490gf, wahser has 16 cycles, manual and automatic settings,drier

also-my clothes are clean, dry fast, they are , for me, the best ones.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

We bought an LG front loader set over a year ago, and we wouldn't part with it for anything! Not only does it clean the clothes better than any washer we've ever had, but it's fast and energy efficient. The dryer has a steam setting and has pretty much eliminated the need for an iron and has cut down tremendously on dry cleaning!

As far as any supposed odor, never been a problem, we just run a washer cleaner through a cycle once a month. The set is extremely quiet and it plays a tune at the end of the cycle instead of that horrible buzzer sound of old.

We also have an LG double oven stove and LOVE it too. No problems what so ever in the two years we've had it!

Respected Contributor

I have an Amana heavy duty washer and dryer. Have had them for about 5 years now and have never had any trouble (knock on wood).

Honored Contributor

I have a GE builder grade washer / dryer and I am perfectly content with them. They are not in a laundry room but are in the hallway, so they are designed to run quietly. All I can say is - they get my clothes nice and clean and do not give me any problems. What more can you ask from a washer and dryer? I do not think you necessarily get better when you pay more - you just get a lot of settings etc that you don't need and won't use. Our home was built with all GE appliances and I have no complaints about any of them. The best of all is - the builder had an incentive to get the homes sold so all the appliances were free!

Respected Contributor

We have the lower (not lowest) grade from Lowe's and I'm very happy with it. Reviews were good when I went to buy and it is not a front loader.

Regular Contributor

I have an LG front load washer and dryer I bought over two years ago and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I will never go back to a top loader again and would buy another LG product in a heartbeat. They get my clothes much cleaner than my old Kenmore's, are quieter, use less water and less detergent. Mine also plays a tune instead of a beep or buzz, and I have never had a problem with odor. Like the above poster I run the tub clean cycle once a month or so with the Tide cleaner for front loaders. What more could I want?

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's off topic. You need a washer and dryer for your clothes.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/30/2014 brewhaha said:

I don't think it's off topic. You need a washer and dryer for your clothes.

Thanks brewhaha{#emotions_dlg.laugh} OK, maybe a little off topic!

Ladies, I appreciate your recommendations. I guess there are lemons in every category and brand. It just seems like appliances are becoming disposable.