Respected Contributor

Shopaholics ODAT---Wednesday

Good Morning ladies:

A front blew in and is a bit cooler---feels damp in the air although the weather man says no rain.

Kathleen and I met up with Kayanne last night. The sandwich shop started in Austin many years ago--one location. Their signature is the bread. It is a sourdough bread--very tasty. I think the sandwich itself is patterned a bit after the Muffaletta in New Orleans. A few weeks ago I was at the post office and a fella came in with a Schlotzky's shirt. My favorite clerk was telling him that she and her family had been to New Orleans over the summer and had eaten at the Central Grocery---(I think that is the correct name) famous for the sandwich---she said it was very large. At the time she had a new baby and she said it was bigger than her baby!!

It was great to see Kathleen--sporting her purple with Kayanne matching!!

When this shop first opened in my town it had been open for about two months when they experienced a fire. It was closed for almost a year before reopening.

I saw the comment about the Mexican Restaurant on every corner!!! We had a steak house that converted to Mexican. Have an Italian Restaurant which is tasty. A few barbeque places and a family owned home style place open a few nights a week. A few burger places and a catfish place. So our choices are rather limited. Two Chinese and a Thai place opened a while back. Not on my route--and they aren't always open so I haven't been there. I think cafeterias are a thing of the past. We had another restaurant which has been around for years (before I moved here). They recently started closing after lunch. I had eaten there with friends a few months ago and we were practically the only customers--although the food was very good.

LindaL: Thinking about you---know you are going to do the pre-op stuff today. Hopefully you can map out a good route as you will be finding your way very early in the morning. One time my DH had an outpatient procedure scheduled. We arrived at the hosptial before the crack of dawn---and then we found out that the dr had mixed up his schedule. He was there but much later---not fun being anxious anyway---and having to wait even longer. I should have followed my instinct as he made a comment when we were in the office--made me think things were mixed up.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics ODAT---Wednesday

Hi all, I have a few minutes today to stop in and chat. My not-boss is on vacation and my direct boss is at one of our other plants today, so I am completely unsupervised. (Not that they do a lot of supervising anyway--it is really nice to be able just to do your work).

Kitty (sorry--I don't know your real name)--how lucky for you to meet up with Kathleen. I was lucky enough to meet her and her daughter in San Antonio one year when I was there for a conference. All your talk about food has made me hungry and it isn't even 9:00 am here!

Linda--I hope your DH's surgery (I think it is him not you) goes well. Those outpatient surgeries are crazy. When I had my gall bladder out, the doctor was running late so I had to stay overnight and there was a man in detox at the other end of the hospital that I heard all night long. But good thoughts headed south for a good outcome.

I am having lunch at the Cheesecake factory today AND Sunday. Today, I am meeting my friend that worked at the same company (H**L) that left about 2 months after I did. They have some safety questions for their new company so they are taking me to lunch to pick my brain. After the "hard" workout yesterday, I mentioned that I was going there today and the trainer, whom I fondly refer to as English (because he is), said, so I'll see you in Quick Fit tomorrow? I told him, it depends when they want to meet for lunch. He said, "If you are eating at Cheesecake factory tomorrow, you BETTER be in class". Fortunately, they wanted to meet at noon, so I will be able to get the class in before that.

Sunday, I am going to Kinky Boots with a friend from high school. We are going to the matinee and therefore, are going to lunch before hand.

Tonight is our annual HOA meeting and since I was the president of the association this year, I have to be there. It wouldn't be bad, but we have a man in the neighborhood that I believe is manic depressive or schizophrenic. At the very least, he's just a nut job and gets ramped up crazy about things that are not in control of the HOA, such as the park that is a block away. He also wants to turn the retention ponds that are in the neighborhood into a skating rink in the winter and a swimming pool in the summer. He can't grasp the concept that these ponds keep our neighborhood from flooding during heavy rain or snow storms. I don't know if you all remember the torrential rains that lasted a week in Colorado last year? But I was grateful those ponds existed.

I'm getting ready to start my racewalking competition season in a few weeks. The first non-series walk I did, I injured myself, so I am still trying to heal up my hamstring before the actual season starts.

I hope you all are doing very well. I need to be more regular here so I start learning people's names again!

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Just a quick note. My DH is cooking a nice lunch for me today, it is my b-day. I think we may catch a movie after that. My mother called this am to "wish" me a "happy birthday", total focus of the phone call was her giving me negative family updates. Quick phone call for me. I decided a long time ago, if you can't have a birthday be positive, then disengage, disengage, disengage from the situation LOL.

Everyone have a good day!

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

LindaR - Thank you for starting us today, and glad you had such an enjoyable dinner with Kathleen and Kaynne. Around here we have quite an assortment of restaurants, funny thing is there is so much traffic here at suppertime, DH and I hardly ever go out to eat. If we do go out, we go to the local diner 5 minutes from here. Hope you get some cooler weather with some moisture, I know you guys could use a little.

DrKelli - Glad to hear from you again and I am glad you are loving the new job. Good luck on your racewalk. We have a Cheesecake Factory about a half hour from us and I never think about going there. May have to do that before the holidays, I know they get very busy then ( it sits in a mall area).

Gayle - Happy Birthday, and sorry the phone call was a downer. But like you said "disengage, disengage, disengage". Have a good day.

Not much going on here, I am going to the store to get the "fixings" for vegetable soup, and I do have some cleaning to do. Guess I better get my caffeine and get moving.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Respected Contributor

Well, I won't be going to Cheesecake today after all. My friend just texted me and said she was going home with a migraine. It's probably better for me anyway.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends!! Last night was wonderful! I wanted to stop and get groceries, nearly did but prayed about it and just drove home, took the toll road and talked to DH on the way. Looks like your grocery had a fire shortly after we left so I think it's just as well!!!

Kelli your ears must have been burning! Linda and I live an hour apart so we try to get together now and then. If you come to Tx again and you have time we should all meet up. I am designated driver so Linda can drink all she wants to (just kidding, I love to drive and she does not). Last time I went to Cheesecake Factory it was with her and "Jules" that posts here, I guess that was last summer (?) and I had the blueberry cheesecake it was heaven.

Respected Contributor

Happy birthday Gayle!!! Woot woot!! I had a best friend for about 17 years and after she moved away and I got active in church, with recovery and with healthy encouraging people, she got more and more negative. I had to really distance myself and MAKE myself quit calling her. Love her, but at a distance. I hope you are able to have a wonderful day! Sweet of DH to cook for you. What movie will you go see?

Kelli, I don't envy your position in the HOA. Working in the PTA for a few years broke me of any public activity like that. There is always someone difficult that wants to be involved.

Susan they are saying it will be cooler this weekend. I am going to "city home" where it is cooler and boy DH does not like that cold. We have a handful or restaurants in our town but the service is very slow so DH and I never want to eat out here. funny about the traffic, in the morning I call it "rush hour". It takes me an extra 5 min to get through town to get to work.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Happy Birthday Gayle!

Glad Kathleen and LindaR had such a nice dinner last night.

Waves to Kelli, Susan, Jean, Arlene, twinny, Rosa, Marijane, Karen, Val, Kathy, Sonya, and all of our posters and readers.

Need to leave for the hospital now (for DH's pre-testing). Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts. I'm sure it will be fine, but he is quite nervous. I don't think he got much sleep last night, which means that I didn't get much sleep either.

I went to the gym solo yesterday, but he did walk with me this morning.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

I had one heck of a bad night - that dam Honeybun kept barking all night long, and I had to keep getting up to try and shut her up before someone called the police. I don't know what came over her, but after so little sleep I'm in a foul mood. I'm meeting a friend for lunch in a little while at a Mexican restaurant as she has a gift certificate she's sharing; after that I have to pick up some dog food, then I can't wait to come home and take a nap. No special outing for them today! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

LindaR, I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but I think you're right - cafeterias as we knew them are pretty much a thing of the past, although buffets are increasingly popular. There's the Picadilly Cafeteria, but that's the only one I've heard of in years. I remember when I was a little girl it was a real treat to go to the Horn & Hardart Automat - it combined a cafeteria with walls of little windowed compartments; you put your money in, opened a door, and got whatever it was you had selected.

Happy birthday, Gayle!

Hope all goes well with DH, LindaL.

Just saw the time - gotta run. Have a blessed day, everyone!

Trusted Contributor

Happy Birthday Gayle, hope you have a great lunch

Hope things go ok with your DH pre- testing today LindL and his procedure tomorrow.

Sounds like you and LindaR had a great time last night Kathleen....safe travels to the big city tomorrow. Is there a big temperature difference from where you live and the city temps. Do they keep,their pool open all year round. I had Mecican food on my mine since yesterday...I went out this morning and bought the fixings for a taco salad for lunch today.....it was good!

Not much going on here....partly sunny,still warm 60's but that will come to an end in a few days....they are saying "wet" snow showers for Sat....boooooo..... Have a nice day everyone, Marijane