Valued Contributor

Serious question. What is the fit difference between XL & 1X. Measurements look like 1X is smaller than XL on some dimensions. I don't get it. Help please.

Honored Contributor
It's a cr*pshoot. You really can't decide about fitted clothing in this size range without trying things on. I was trying on dresses for DS & DDIL's wedding in 14W and 16M, and the sixteen fit better, and was more fitted than the 14W. In jeans, I wear 14 M. I am small busted, small waisted, big hipped. Sizes vary from company to company.
Respected Contributor

Violann is correct--it's a gamble. Through trial and possible error, you can at least know which size fits better in a particular brand. (Another brand may well differ.)

Valued Contributor

Thanks violan. I'm trying to decide on the D&C leather moto jacket. Maybe I'll order both sizes and return one.

Trusted Contributor

It's really confusing because that's my size range, either XL or 1X. The only difference I have found is that size 1X is usually a bit longer, and there's usually a little more room in the tummy area. Other than that, there's really not a big difference. Even when the chest measurement is a bit smaller in the 1X than the XL, I still go with the 1X if it's a semi-fitted garment; relaxed fit, I stick with XL. I just hope for the best. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

I was always told XL & 1X are about the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear those sizes, but one day when I was checking the measurements on some other sizes, I noticed that. I was slightly irritated because on so many garments, the difference between xsmall, small, and medium are not that much, but then between a medium and a large it jumps to a greater difference. Sometimes I wear a small, sometimes a medium, but on one or two occasions when things were sized very small, I had to think about a large, and it was way bigger than the medium. That's when I noticed the XL and 1X ... sometimes I think the Q's sizing is really strange, besides being so very inconsistent.

Esteemed Contributor

Sizing is always an issue. I buy these sizes for my daughter in law and always have to check the measurement chart. Then I have to consider the description of the fit. Not all items have a video so that's a problem. If I can see it on a model who is a Large than I can judge it a bit better. After years of trial and error I have narrowed it down to the few lines of clothing that fit her. Consistency in sizing seems to be a growing issue. It doesn't matter what size it is.

Honored Contributor

Last week I bought a D&C two-piece jacket and pants set. The sizes were never shown on the screen and I was already in bed and my computer was off. It doesn't help to just show XXS, XS, S, M, etc., because the measurements of all the sizes are almost always different from one item to another, even within the same brand.

So I called the operator, which I rarely do, and gave her my measurements and asked her which size I should order. She said a "medium," to be safe. So I ordered the medium. When I received it, it was huge on me. So of course I had to send it back. I did not reorder the small because that would probably not fit either.

They have big problems with sizing, and that was never an issue for many years.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I wear xl or 1x; they are the same size. Sometimes in jacket, the 1x is inch longer. Sometimes in pants the 1x is 1 inch wider in the waist.