Super Contributor

I was determined to fix the thing with the sleeves and "wings" on the poncho. While sitting in a bubble bath this morning ... I had an idea. Just remove the sleeves and sew a shoulder seam. (The "cut and sew" around the armhole was really bad that I decided I couldn't live with it. Even an amateur knitter could do a better job.)

I just finished measuring, cutting and basting the seam ... it drapes so much better. Glad I did it! I want to do a some surface work on the outside of the shoulder seam with matching but non-heather yarn.

If you have a serger or know someone who has ... it's an easy fix once you've measured and cut.

Respected Contributor

What did you do, put some bias tape over the seam, or just overcast stitch it by hand?

Super Contributor
On 10/26/2014 Favorite Son said:

What did you do, put some bias tape over the seam, or just overcast stitch it by hand?

I folded back the seam allowance and tacked it down by hand. I'm going to crochet some braiding and attach it along the outside of the seam.

Now that the shoulder is stabilized - it looks SO MUCH better. Whenever I knit or crochet ponchos or even sew using knit fabric ... I always have a shoulder seam.

Oh ... and I'm going to make wristers (wrist warmers) from the sleeves.

Respected Contributor

Kathleen, so I read your review and understood that you didn't like the dropped shoulder seam with the long narrow sleeve. Was that because it was defectively sewn, or just because you prefer a poncho that doesn't have sleeves?

I keep going back to that darn thing, and I HATE (REALLY HATE) acrylic knit. Have you washed it yet? If you have, I'd appreciate knowing whether it has any body left at all. I am mad for that mulberry color.

Honored Contributor

You can also sew do a double line of stiching, side by side and and zig zag the seam edge or do French seams!

Esteemed Contributor

Just curious as to why you didn't just send it back and buy a poncho that you liked as is?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor
What poncho are you re-designing? Is it the new Linea one with sleeves?
Trusted Contributor
On 10/26/2014 shoesnbags said:

Just curious as to why you didn't just send it back and buy a poncho that you liked as is?

My thoughts exactly!

Super Contributor
On 10/26/2014 Favorite Son said:

Kathleen, so I read your review and understood that you didn't like the dropped shoulder seam with the long narrow sleeve. Was that because it was defectively sewn, or just because you prefer a poncho that doesn't have sleeves?

I keep going back to that darn thing, and I HATE (REALLY HATE) acrylic knit. Have you washed it yet? If you have, I'd appreciate knowing whether it has any body left at all. I am mad for that mulberry color.

I wanted the sleeves. I have a couple I made with sleeves - in heavier yarn. With mine, the sleeves are knitted onto the poncho body, as is the turtleneck. The only sewing is the shoulder seams.

It was sewn badly. As I looked more closely to fix the loose stitches that weren't caught in the seam ... there was too much to fix so I decided I'd just remove them.

I haven't washed it yet. I'm hoping that it does lose all it's body. I want it to drape loosely and floppy.

Super Contributor
On 10/26/2014 shoesnbags said:

I wanted the color (mulberry) and the fine yarn. There's no way I'll knit a poncho with yarn that thin - and the price was cheaper than it would cost me to make.

But - it ended well. I got a poncho and wristers.

Also - I enjoy the challenge when I know I can do a better job that the manufacturer.