Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 10/25)

Good morning, everyone! It is a toasty 38 degrees and I'm debating what to do today I have cabin fever from doing anything other than working but the house is so comfy in these temperatures. I could go to the city and get my nails done. At the same time, I see tomorrow on the Q is an all day cooking day, so perhaps tomorrow might be better to venture out.

Right now, I'm watching AM Style. I enjoy this better than PM Style. It makes no difference as I have no urge to buy clothes right now. The nasty winter calls for clothes to keep you warm and outer clothing such as warm jackets or coats, and I have no need of either as I'm well supplied. Spring and Summer are the months for greater fashion buys for me.

I guess I'll go to the drug store sometime today and pick up the newest prescription to be added to my mix of legal drugs, some of which I have to show ID and sign for. I feel like I'm a potential abuser of the law when I have to do that.

Sometimes, I wish I lived in an area in which high fashion and temperatures were great. Here. we dress casually and for comfort. For dress up, we have an outfit that can go from casual to dressy depending upon how we accessorize it. In other words, we are not Madison Avenue. Few here care about what brand name is being worn or toted. Switch to gadgets, however, and the talk centers around brand names and usefulness to make life easier.

I would like that Joan Rivers jacket to spice some things up but I don't need another jacket. I can't wear all I have now so why add to the stash?

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 10/25)

Good morning Ladies, thanks for starting Jean...it's a chilly morning here too but bright sun is out...looks to be a nice day. If you go into the city today have a nice time..I didn't realize it was all day cooking tomorrow. When I saw your post about the JR jacket I went over to the recently aired items, I have had my eye on that for awhile, a wanty for sure, but they had very few colors /sizes left, I wanted the brown.....maybe it wasn't to be.

)Hope your parade works out well LindaL and it's not too hot for you...how long is the parade route? Good thoughts and prayers for DH this Monday. too bad about your DD washing machine. I had gotten a w /d about a yr ago....speed queen...guy said they make the commercial ones too and hold up well. So hopefully they will last 15 plus yrs like my old pair did.

Today is " soccer Sat in Bklyn" so we will be heading there to see our GS. Last year his games were 11.30 so it was still warm watching...this year it's 3.30 and it's getting chilly there standing on a big wide empty ball field with the wind picking up. Have a nice day everyone.....Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am with you that I do like AMS the best. Leah is always fun to watch. I don't like anything to do with cooking, so I hope to be busy tomorrow one way or the other. Mom complains each day when she gets her meals on wheels. Right now I would love to have the meals come to DH & me each day of the week. I know some meals aren't that exciting, but others look very good. Have fun in the city whenever you choose to go. The temps were in the 50's last night so very nice this morning when I went to mom's at 6:45. I went early so I could see the start of AMS.

Marijane, Have fun at the soccer game. We don't see our DGC play soccer often as they all play at different places on the same day. I like to watch when it is warm too. Two weeks ago DGD played in snow. I always heard that Speed Queen was a good washer. I will probably need one soon as mine is almost 20 years old.

Today I am having lunch out with friends at our favorite Chinese restaurant in our downtown. DH is meeting his friend also downtown but at a different place. It is farmers market today, so the town will be bustling. It will be so nice to get out & be with friends. It is still moped weather so we are trying to make the most of it.

I did watch Something Borrowed last night. My 2nd cousin's granddaughter was featured on the 2nd show. I remember going to the grandmother's wedding but didn't remember anything about her gown. I do not know the granddaughter. I did see her mom when she was a little girl as she went to the same elementary school our DC went to for a few years. Haven't seen her for years though. I guess the wedding will be a WI winter wonderland. I thought maybe the wedding would be in KY where the bride lives & is in the army. The bride is 23 & joined the army right out of HS. She has been to Afghanistan & Korea.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--Sorry that you missed out on the jacket. I think the various sizes and colors went fast. My washer/dryer combo is on year 16 and is a Kenmore. Enjoy your day out with the soccer games. It is supposed to warm up here also.

I got started doing some things around the house, including getting rid of papers no longer needed. I'll make the run to the city tomorrow to get my nails done, have a late lunch/early dinner and then return home.

I think I might get the TSV. I usually keep the car in the garage but when working or elsewhere, it would be good to cover the windows to prevent the nasty stuff from covering it when working. I don't enjoy scraping windows after a long day at work.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

I also like AMS and Leah...I am not into Madison Ave or ladies who lunch and if I do lunch it is just regular clothes. I know about the Meals on Wheels ...my FIL had them for a time...first didn't like them...then it wasn't enough...so he wanted it stopped.... He also couldmhave housekeeping services maybe once every other week.the SS had told DH about it so he signed his father up......he got a call one day from them saying they tried to get into his father's house but he wouldn't let them in.....he spoke to,his dad about it but he said he didn't want anyone in his house they would rob him.....,meanwhile he had been living up there since 1971 and never had a lock on any of his doors and went away for days at a time with unlocked doors......I know it hard Twinny taking care of an eldery parent. my prayers go out to you and your DH
Esteemed Contributor

Twinny, Meals on Wheels is not home cooking or a gourmet but it is nutritious. Momma doesn't like being dependent. Like you, I would appreciate a service like that. Enjoy your lovely day and lunch out.

I went the drugstore and picked up the prescription iron supplement and mail. It is now time for lunch, followed by Kindle time.

Respected Contributor

When my Dad was still living he refused to have Meals on Wheels. His reason was that there were others who needed it more than he did. In a way he was right---I worked in the City but lived next door---so I would make sure that he had food and he would get up in the morning and have his oatmeal and coffee.

Yesterday evening I met up with two ladies---one lives in my town and the other in the next burg. We all worked together at one time---we joined up and ate at a lovely little cafe in the burg. Walked across the street to see ""Arsenic and Old Lace"" at the Playhouse. It is tiny and up close and personal----it was great we had a wonderful time. Went back to visit before we headed back to our town---got home almost 1! I am not used to such late hours! Some law enforcement event was happening at a gas station (closed) and there were a number of folks in cuffs and LE officials. The bar downtown was hopping also---when we drove by but neither of us had ever been there---not our ""cup of tea"". Mr. Boodles finally appeared when I drove up to the gate---if I am later than normal he will run out to meet me or I can see him tapping his paw===like he is tapping his watch. Julie has an English Bulldog who is a character. I can be around dogs and Boodles doesn't care but he is all over me when I have been petting Ms. Sadie. When we came out of the restaurant there was a lady with a beautiful standard poodle sitting on the bench. Stopped to say hello to him also.

When we met Julie at her home--she went to pick up her purse and I thought====it was a GILI bag---but I wasn't sure so didn't mention it. Later after the play when we were all chatting both ladies said they had been shopping at the Q and HSN. I just smiled---as I am trying to curb my enthusiasm!!!!

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another beautiful day out there - temps are going to be going back into the 80s this week, so I'm happy about that since I hate the cold.

I used to get all excited about the cooking days on QVC, but it's been a long time since they've had anything unique or a really good deal, so I lost interest. I also have more "cooking toys" than I can use, many of which are still in the boxes! When I was cleaning my basement out I found the QVC version of the Magic Bullet which had never even been opened, and a set of silicone bakeware that I had forgotten all about. {#emotions_dlg.crying} What I really used to enjoy as well were the all-day craft shows, but then, I don't have time to do them these days.

LindaR, I really enjoy the local theater performances; there's a lot of talent out there. Mr. Boodles sounds like quite the character.

My former MIL used to get Meals on Wheels; they'd bring her a hot lunch, and then a sandwich and a container of milk to put aside for dinner. It's a nice service particularly for those who don't have anyone to look after them; in my case, the old woman wouldn't eat any home-cooked food - it was MOW or a frozen dinner! I don't know if she was just being contrary or what, since I'm a good cook, but it was nice to not have to worry about it.

Sorry you missed out on the jacket, Marijane, but it'll probably come around again.

Enjoy your day in the city, Jean. I'm really looking forward to my trip to Trader Joe's that's coming up.

Guess I'd better get moving - after our walk I plan to get more cleaning done.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon Ladies! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Hope you have a good time in the city tomorrow. I thought the TSV was a good idea for those who live in areas that have snow and ice. I remember coming out after work and needing to clean off the windshield -- not fun. Another cooking day tomorrow -- not of interest to me since I have more than enough cooking stuff. But, I have to admit that I rarely watch QVC on TV. That doesn't stop me from buying, however.

Hope it isn't too cold at the soccer game Marijane, and you have a good time. I own that jacket in brown, and I like it. Sorry you couldn't get it this time.

DD ended up getting another new/used washer -- can you believe it? A couple from her church was moving, and they had a 4 year old Kenmore. They got it for a good price, and it is already installed.

Hi twinny -- hope you have a nice day. I know that dealing with elderly parents can be difficult. We get some of those sorts of comments about the lunches at the senior lunch program. But, I know that most of the participants enjoy their time there, and I feel good about volunteering.

So glad you had fun last night LindaR -- sounds great. I remember going downtown DC via subway, and returning around midnight. I so surprised to see that things were hopping -- lots of people out, the trains were pretty full, etc. But, it certainly was not my lifestyle. Your doggies sound quite entertaining.

Glad you are having warm weather Arlene.

Waves to Kathleen, Susan, Rosa, Gayle, Sonya, Val, Karen, Jules, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

DH's surgery has been moved to Thursday, and we have to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. The hospital is about an hour away, so it will be a very early morning for us. He is a bit disappointed, but it couldn't be helped.

The parade this morning was fun. He rode in the SUV pulling the float, and I was on the float. It was pretty hot, but at least I wasn't wearing something on my head this year. I was sweating, but not too bad. There were a number of small superheros from the daycare center associated with our Community Center, and some of those kids were so adorable. DH loved seeing them as well.

Guess I need to get busy with laundry, etc. now.

Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

LindaL: Saw your FB pic of your DH---very cute---made a great super hero!!! I will be thinking of you on Thursday---those early morning calls can be tough---but you should be home at an early hour.

A few years ago I had a procedure----was all ready and they come in to say the doc had an emergency and would be late---I told them I would just wait on him---no way did I want to reschedule this apt!! Had juggled everything around and had my designated driver set up.

It worked out as he finally arrived several hours late.