Respected Contributor

Need to transition from tailored work wardrobe to retired casual....................

Why am I have trouble with transitioning from a Talbots, Linea work wardrobe to a casual retirement wear.

I feel so sloppy in Logo. Denim and comfort shoes seem ok if I have accessories or jacket. I have so many jackets and they dont work with the skinny leg knits and denim bc they a so short.

Yet, my straight leg black pant with sweater set and pearls just looks out of place at the grocery!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need to transition from tailored work wardrobe to retired casual....................

If you would just drop the pearls you would look fine. LOL.

I always wear jackets but I often wear them with black or dark rinse jeans. I love white jeans in the summer because they are thicker and not see through. Logo is not for me either - I like and look better in structured clothes. I do not worry about what other people wear that I see out. That is not the way I chose to dress. Good luck in your transition.

Super Contributor

Re: Need to transition from tailored work wardrobe to retired casual....................

I guess is depends on where you live. I live in Manhattan ... the transition was smooth. I have a "uniform" of basics that I wear and switch accessories.

Most of my clothes come from either Chico's, LandsEnd or QVC (Attitudes, LOGO and Graver). Lots of accessories from everywhere.

Around here you can wear anything ... no one pays much attention. Today ... black cords, white turtleneck, black poncho and multicolor scarf. Silver jewelry. Went to lunch, bank, and grocery store.

Super Contributor

What did you wear when you weren't at work - weekends, casual outings, shopping? Some people are going to be comfortable in more tailored clothes, regardless. Maybe instead of denim, you might be more comfortable in khakis, a tee and a jacket. Or the darker denim in straight leg.

Regular Contributor

You might like Marla Wynne fashions. She is fairly new and her clothes are nicely tailored casual that have the high end look without the price. The pieces I have are well made with great fabrics and easy care. I was able to mix them with work pieces to achieve stylish casual outfits.
Honored Contributor

What did you wear on weekends when you were workin? I don't dress much differently on weekends than I do for work. I love jackets; on weekends I wear them with my jeans. I love white button downs. On weekends I wear them with jeans, I roll the sleeves up for a casual look. Slacks with sweaters and flats or comfort type shoes is a casual look. Generally speaking if you want to make an outfit more casual, you just change the footwear.

Respected Contributor

I've been retired 4 years and I still like a tailored look on me. I have several pairs of ""docker like"" slacks I got from LL Bean and just keep changing my tops. The Logo look is not for me. You can find a lot of cute casual shoes. It just takes time.
Respected Contributor

When I first stopped working I had so many clothes I would be all dressed up to go to the doctor or dentist. I eventually realized I was never going to wear all that stuff anymore and started taking a bunch of my clothes to consignment. Fast forward many years to now and i mostly wear jeans out and about during the daytime in the winter and capris in the summer. Due to spine issues if I have to run errands I almost have to be in sneakers or flat boots, so not a good look with something dressier. I did buy a bunch of maxi dresses this year because they are easy and comfortable and still look nice. And I still buy way too many nice things to have "just in case" which get worn but not that often. What is killing me is that I absolutely love shoes and can't really wear very high heels anymore. I haven't been able to part with any of my sexy heels. I refuse to give up on wearing them again, lol. I tried on a pair the other day and walked around the house a few hours and thought I was gonna die!! But I can wear wedges. Yay! (Just not too long *sigh*)
Respected Contributor

I have not retired but a few years ago I transitioned from a pretty formal office job to working from my home. I know exactly what you mean. I was accustomed to a more tailored look. I have kept a few dressier pieces for client meetings but I didn't want to go too casual (sloppy) for my day to day. I picked up some good pieces from Eileen Fisher and mixed them in with some of my less formal work wear. From the Q I bought several pants from Isaac M because they are comfy and can be dressed up and down. I have a few of his jackets too.

It took a while but I like this new look much better than the old style. It is fun and goes just about everywhere in my world.

Valued Contributor

I used to work in a more dressy environment. Where I work now, I could wear jeans everyday and some of the staff does just that. Working here has rubbed off on me, I don't buy half the dressy clothes I used to. I do wear a nice sweater, blouse, skirt but mostlyI wear pants and with winter now approaching...it is pants and sweater.

I've already stopped even buying as much dressy clothes....cause I plan for this to be my last job. I'm already in retirement mode. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}