Honored Contributor

Your best Friend! What do you give her for Christmas?

My closest friend since I was in the nineth grade and fifteen. What didn't we go through? Classes, first loves, THE TALK {#emotions_dlg.blushing}, spending weekends together, double dating, being college rommates together, loss of her father that year of college, weddings, children, my losses, my pain; her horrible, bring you to your knees divorce and her pain; her rebirth. Always holding hands. Always seeing each other for dinner every month or so.

Hopefully we all have a very best friend who knows us better than ourselves.

When Christmas comes, what do you get your best friend(s)?

I always do all her and her mother's desserts for the season, then give her silver jewelry, with/or scarves, books, robes. Shoes, handbags, and career wear we don't do since our work needs are different and she's always warm, and I'm cold!

Who is your friend? What do you do?

Super Contributor

Re: Your best Friend! What do you give her for Christmas?

How about a spa day...just you and her...your treat!
Frequent Contributor

About two years ago, my best friend of 40+ years and I decided that we both have everything we need. So,we each pick a charity, and make a donation in each other's name.
Respected Contributor

How about a stay at Yosemite's Yhwahnee hotel for the holidaysSmiley Happy Or, Yellowstone's Old Faithful LodgeSmiley Happy

Need to think in advanceSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My best friend and I don't exchange gifts. A number of years ago she went through a rough patch of divorcing her alcoholic husband and raising their 2 young children pretty much on her own. Financially she could barely do for her kids.

We never started exchanging again and I'm fine with that. I only do gifts with my sister, SIL, BIL and 2 others on DH's side. My family quit exchanging years ago as well.

I think a spa day or a weekend getaway sounds fantastic. Not sure what your budget is.

Honored Contributor

If someone is your friend for such a long time you should be easily able to identify something they enjoy. Certainly a gift for a very dear friend needs to be something personal to them.

Honored Contributor

My best friend is a single mom, and just stays one step ahead of being on welfare. I would love to shower her with gifts, as she has no family (except her son) left, and Christmas is a very lonely time for her, as she used to have a big family. But, I don't want to put her in an awkward position, feeling that she can't reciprocate, so I try to keep it simple. I usually make lots of kinds of cookies and candies, and give them done up on a really nice seasonal dish or tin.

Then I try to give her a little something, one year it was a flameless candle, one year a regular candle, another time a pretty grocery tote, just something for her to open on Christmas, or she'd have no gift at all. It makes me sad, and I really would like to do more, but I know she can't reciprocate, and I don't want her to end up feeling worse (by feeling like a "charity case") than she does by having no family/gifts.

Super Contributor

My best friend of 25 years and I stopped exchanging gifts several years ago. Instead, we go overboard for each other's birthdays (hers is in October; mine is in March).

For birthdays we give each other NorthPark Gold (gold gift coins to our favorite mall), audiobooks by favorite authors, and CDs by favorite artists. We also take each other to dinner or Sunday brunch.

Frequent Contributor

I've had the same bff since we were eight (we're 60 now). Our gifts never had a pattern until we were married ladies and realized that our husbands, much as we loved them, were not the type who'd ever give a girly or romantic type gift. So on birthdays, Valentine's Day, and Christmas, we each give the other the most frou frou indulgent things we can find. Sometimes it's makeup, or scent, or a pair of shoes or a bag. Last year she bought me a high end eye shadow palette and a fedora hat. I bought her a pair of cashmere-lined gloves and a matching cashmere scarf.

Honored Contributor

I give her something she can share with her family.