Honored Contributor

What's on trend besides black plastic eyeglass frames?

I'm due for glasses in January after my second cataract surgery, so I bought some black plastic readers to check out the look. I don't like it on me at all, 69, highlighted blonde with fair skin, and they are just overwhelming. I've been wearing wire frames for something like 15 years now and I feel so dated. Is there another alternative that looks somewhat in style?

Honored Contributor

Re: What's on trend besides black plastic eyeglass frames?

Try a burgandy frame it will bring light to your face

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I was at the optical shop owned by my Eye Surgeon just yesterday. I was looking for a light colored frame like I already have, and they were out of it. I saw a few of the black frames and asked the tech if they were popular. Her answer was that only a very few people looked at them, most people wanted lighter colored frames or light wire frames. She laughed and said one woman with pink hair bought a pair a week or so ago. And she did say that some men like the black frames over the dark brown ones.

There's no way I would buy black frames - especially not after seeing Lori G.

She also mentioned that frames seem to be getting larger lately.

Super Contributor

Funny you should ask. I went in for eye exam and new glasses yesterday. I don't do trends ... but there is just about anything you want out there at all price ranges. I like designer frames and since I only replace them every two years ... it's worth the price for me.

I go to a private optometrist rather than a chain because I have a particular preference for lenses that the chains can't or won't order for me. And ... I ONLY wear plastic frames because metal frames can't accommodate my lenses.

I'm fair skin, light green eyes and blonde hair ... so my coloring has a big impact on what I can/will wear. And, since I need to wear the glasses all the time - they need to work with most of my clothes and jewelry and fit my personal style.

I can still wear my last two prescriptions ... and I already have a red frame (2012 Jean LaFont) and a dark mahogany frame (2010 Bvlgari) ... so I wanted something different. I must have tried on 30 frames. I finally settled on a rectangular frame by Alain Mikli from his Casquette collection. Sort of jazzy tortoise.

Honored Contributor

I don't look good in the black plastic frames either - I bought the same shape only in tortoise shell. They looked much better on me.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Perkup said:

I was at the optical shop owned by my Eye Surgeon just yesterday. I was looking for a light colored frame like I already have, and they were out of it. I saw a few of the black frames and asked the tech if they were popular. Her answer was that only a very few people looked at them, most people wanted lighter colored frames or light wire frames. She laughed and said one woman with pink hair bought a pair a week or so ago. And she did say that some men like the black frames over the dark brown ones.

There's no way I would buy black frames - especially not after seeing Lori G.

She also mentioned that frames seem to be getting larger lately.

Yes, my newest glasses were bought last spring and they are larger - that was all my optometrist had there this year - larger and rounder frames. Better for me as I needed a trifocal lens .

Esteemed Contributor

I see a lot of tortoise shell frames in the shops and on people, that is what I got but I only wear them when my contacts are not in. Also, BIG is in, thank goodness!!

Honored Contributor

I'm 64 with dark hair and fair skin and I'm finally starting to grey, I tried that classic black eyeglasses and it didn't work for me either. I finally tried a smaller version of the black frame in tortoise shell, much better look.

Respected Contributor

I love all the different colors. I'm not at all interested in heavy black frames, and IMO most women look silly in them. Another reason why I don't get drawn into trends.

Valued Contributor

Have you gone to Zenni Optical online? You can upload your own picture (on here, & other eyeglass stores online) to see what their various frames will look like on you. I have saved a ton of money by buying my glasses from Zenni! The only recommendation I would give someone is, to go to a local eyeglass store, try on various models & make a notation of what looks best on you...is it wire frames? Light-colored plastic? Dark? Round/rectangle/oval? Then use those notations as a guide when you choose a pair from an online retailer, & likely be very happy with the result. I went into it to get a spare pair, but saved so much $$ it was really impressive. Now, I only get my lenses from online retailers.

Another tip: When you go in to get your eyes checked, ASK THEM RIGHT THEN & THERE to give you your Pupillary Distance (PD), because they will NOT give it to you when you call back for it, since they realize they are losing a sale & will either charge you extra for your own reading (maddening!), or be a jerk about you taking your business elsewhere (equally maddening!). But when you demand your PD during your eye exam, they pretty much have to give it to you, so don't let them smooze you. If it is too late & you already had your eyes checked recently & don't have your PD (you can try calling the person who did your exam, but good luck in getting them to cooperate), then the online retailers will give you a tool that you can use to measure it yourself. No biggie. Just petty of the people doing the exam, since they are getting their pound of flesh from us in payment for the exam itself, and shouldn't withhold this information from us. Jerks. But, I digress!

I also recently tried to get away from the wire rims & give darker frames a try, but can't stand them. They are my spare pair for emergencies, and I have gone back to the wire. They'll come back in vogue eventually, and I really don't give a hoot about trends--I have to like what I see, myself. And looking in the mirror & seeing the female version of Mr. Magoo ain't something I like to see!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo