Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Not much going on here today, I am about to make some chicken soup. I have some cooking chicken in the freezer that needs to be used soon, so what better way to use it. No shopping for me today, I need to quit buying wants, I really haven't needed the things I have bought lately, but I just wanted them. I have had my eye on a certain Fossil bag and found it half off at Belks so I ordered it. I do have to put a hold on the impulse buying. Okay, I will now get off my soap box.

Looks like everyone is busy today, I think Jean is working, what is everyone else up to? Well off to start the soup, hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics - ODAT Monday

Good morning friends! I ordered yesterday as well, a couple tops that likely won't fit but they looked so cute and were 40% off. I tell myself I can just return them to the store so why not? ::sigh:: I'm glad you found your bag online for less!! Woot woot! I really need to watch the impulse buying too.

Not much happening here. I miss my Beloved and feel like I am ready to move, but it seems there are 100 reasons why I shouldn't. He's not loving his job up there. I'm starting to get depressed and angry.

We did have a fun weekend at the state fair, and Saturday night I cooked a bunch and made food to leave and food to bring home so meals are ok for this week. No chicken nuggets. lol

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Susan. I saw that Jean was called to work again today -- it has been an extremely busy Fall for her. Hope all goes well today.

Chicken soup sounds good, especially if it is a bit chilly/cold there. I was thinking about making vegetable soup today, but I think I'll wait on that. Not sure what we will have for dinner, but....

Buying "wants" is a very bad habit for me as well. It is so easy to buy something when the price isn't bad (or it is on sale), and you really like it. I continue to work on my "wanty" control. Not too bad this month, but it certainly has not been easy to resist.

The lady who I sit next to at church is a QVC person, and she was wearing a Bob Mackie top which was absolutely lovely. Of course, now I'm stalking Bob Mackie tops. LOL

Surprising the weather forecasters and me, it rained a bit yesterday afternoon. We even had some thunder, etc. That turned things considerably cooler around here (in the 70's). It was cool on our walk this morning, and it is supposed to reach the 80's today. Lovely weather. No, I don't miss Maryland winters Jean. I do miss Fall days, however.

I made a pumpkin pie yesterday -- just because I love the custard (DH likes the crust). Today I am starting some "artisan" bread dough -- not difficult, but I have been a lazy girl for a while and bought grocery store "French" bread instead. My food processor really helps with making pie crusts and bread -- I'm happy I decided to keep it accessible despite having my lovely Vitamix.

No big plans today -- I'll probably go to pick up some groceries (DH is out of ice cream), and I plan to go to Curves later.

We watched a DVD from the library last night -- "The Railway Man" -- quite a good movie.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, Nancy, Sonya, Val, Gina, Kathy, Jules, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- hi Kathleen. Sorry about your DH not loving his job, and you feeling depressed and angry. I know when my SIL had a job that required oversees travel and months away it was very hard on DD. Hopefully things will change for the better soon. Hugs.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, I did it - the clothes swap is OVER. It wasn't as bad as it as in years past as I've given so much away, and the large winter closet is actually at a point where I can easily get at everything in there and not have to climb over boxes. I got a big bag together for the missions closet, and even found a ring I had bought as part of a cousin's Christmas gift last year and forgot about. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I did part with some of my favorite tops; I still love them, but found myself wearing them often, which means that others that I have that are NWT don't get worn at all. In organizing my purses I found (as usual) some that I had completely forgotten I have; I figure that I can use a different purse for only a week each year and still have some unused, so I'm going to return one I got last month if I can find the receipt - there's simply nothing that I need. I have a beautiful purse by Relic that I've never used, and since the tags are on it I'm going to give it to one of my cousins for Christmas as part of her gift. I'd doing a theme package for her: she loves purses, so I got her a watch that comes in a tiny purse, purse earrings, a charm bracelet with purses, a purse necklace, purse bank, a Storybook Knits top with purses on it, and - on a more practical side - a purse organizer.

My pool guy called and left a message, but I'm seriously thinking about abandoning the pool and getting a membership at a health club that has a pool instead. Between paying him, the water bill, the sewer bill (even though the water doesn't go down the sewer), and replacing the salt I've spent about $700 on it this year, was able to use the pool maybe 20 times all season because of the weather, and now the salt water system has shorted out. It's just not worth it! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Soup sounds good, Susan. After I have some room in the freezer I'll have to think about making some.

LindaL, I never heard of that movie - what's it about? I guess I'll get back to "The Stand" tonight; there are three more parts to it. I'm not a pumpkin fan at all; every so often I try something new in pumpkin, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Well, I guess I'd better get moving; I'm determined to get the "big clean" done by the end of the month, but am exhausted from all the trips up and down the stairs, so I'm going to just do some lighter work today. I want to take a ride to Publix for cat food; the 9 Lives 4-packs are on sale at 4/$5, which is a really good price. That particular item isn't in their regular sale rotation, so I want to stock up while I can.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

The movie is about a British soldier in WWII who was captured by the Japanese. He was forced to work on a railroad between Thailand and Burma. He was tortured badly. The movie starts several years later when he meets a lady on a train -- they fall in love quickly, and they get married. But, he is horribly haunted by his POW experience. To make a long story short, he ends up going to see the Japanese man who was responsible for much of his torture. At first, he planned to get revenge, but they end up being friends. The movie was based on a true story. Some might not think it had enough "action" or whatever, but DH and I thought it was quite good. I'm not sure that I could forgive someone for that sort of treatment.

Sorry you don't love pumpkin. I was reading an article about healthy choices for pumpkin products, and Trader Joe's has a number of products that fit the bill. I'm hoping to go to Trader Joe's the day I take DH to the doctor. Hope that comes off.

It does sound like the pool has been an expensive, underused luxury for you. What a shame.

Respected Contributor

Linda, I miss the fall foilage - something I never thought to enjoy when I was a kid. I remember my Grandparents talking about it and I was clueless. Thanks for the hugs! Smiley Happy We just keep saying we are going to get through it. And we will. It was fun the first several months but I'm going through a whiney stage.

Respected Contributor

Came home to a package, thinking "what did I order on ebay?" and it's my little car fresheners. Yay!

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon ladies:

Had internet issues--finally able to get on!. Oh technology!.

Kathleen: Hugs to you---remember my mantra--God has a plan for your life--but I think in alot of ways you are going through grief stages---your life was upended and it is normal to feel depressed and whine!.

I saw Bob Mackie was on--saw a lovely item--but I resisted. I must resist---easier said than done for me!!!. I know he does a lot of embellishments but so different (in my opinion) than QF. I loved QF when she did the lovely embroderiery===the sparkles not so much.

Respected Contributor

I think so too Linda. Then I hear about someone who just got ALS or something and think how lucky I am. I'm just in a weird space these days. It's not how I imagined my life would be right now. We should do dinner one night - I could jet out to your town and meet you somewhere. Tuesday night is really good for me. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Oh ALS is dreadful. I know when I start to have a pity party I just look around and realize how blessed I am. But still sometimes I have to ""give in"".

Oh dinner sounds wonderful---maybe next Tuesday--we will plan on something. It's been a while since we had a visit!!!