Valued Contributor

OT/Life Support....Question...

Question, and I'm hoping the ladies on here can help me. My husband's mother is on life support, the "kids" are fighting about keeping her on life support. Some for, some against.

Question, how long can they keep her on life support, also when the person is taken off life support how long will they "live".

All comment are appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: OT/Life Support....Question...

wow...I was hoping someone would have some comments/suggestions....experiences...ideas....

Trusted Contributor

It is my understanding a person can be kept on life support until someone with the legal authority discontinues it. How long a person can live after that will vary from person to person and depend on their medical condition. Did she not be a health -care proxy?
Honored Contributor

As to how long, that totally varies with each individual. An hour. A day, even two. But usually with 6 hrs from experience I have had. As to how long a person can be kept on life support - once attorneys and the courts get involved, months. Years even, if they want to push it. Keeping in mind that any estate the person may have could all end up paying medical bills or attorneys if they go that route. Family members might disagree, but most people will pay attention to the doctors' assessment of the patient's chances, and act accordingly.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

thanks so much, she is on Medicaid so the fight is on. One brother "claims" he has power of attorney...yet no documents....and he is a con artist.....

One brother wants her taken off life support, her lungs has collapsed, swelled with fluid, heart barely beating.

Everybody is mad, some saying brother with power of attorney had her sign big insurance policies. It is a mess. I'm not saying much so I can only make my comments on here...since she is not "MY" mother.

Super Contributor

Sounds like with collapsed lungs and weak heart she would pass within a few hours of being removed from support. So sorry you and your family are going through this.
Super Contributor

It's my understanding you can also die on life support. Depends on why you are on it and what kind of life support they are using.
Honored Contributor

Pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is excruciatingly painful. I hope you don't mind if I start praying for your MIL to cross over. I am so sorry that the family is extending the agony.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Not able to answer your questions with authority, but let this be a VERY strong wake-up call for everyone reading your thread!

Please, please get your wishes IN WRITING AND PASS OUT COPIES TO ALL OF YOUR LOVED ONES!!!!

So sorry for this nightmare.

Valued Contributor

Ladies - I want to thank you all for comments. IT was very helpful, Ms. Bird, thanks, I am sharing your comments with my husband, but the 'con" man (brother) is in control. My husband is mad, and "luckily" we live in another state because I think this would come to blows in the hospital room.

They already don't "like" each other because this is a true case of adult abuse, this brother takes all her money, makes her pay all the bills, etc...

I'm trying to keep my husband "calm" and we will see what happens.