Super Contributor

PLEASE - bring back the Bootleg Jeans!

I am so tired of all the straight leg pants - every vendor has them and tho we have begged for the HOW SMOOTH BOOTLEG PANTS they have not reappeared. Any else feel the way I do? I wish I could wear the straight leg pants but I'm way too curvy for them - they look awful!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: PLEASE - bring back the Bootleg Jeans!

This was my first question to Heather on the D&Co blog during the show yesterday, and got the same answer we've gotten for over a year (and didn't address the fact that they so drastically changed the sizing in the so-called "straight leg".

On 10/14/2014 kittymomNC said:

Please tell us if you are ever going to bring back the ORIGINAL boot cut HOW SMOOTH jeans, in the ORIGINAL SIZING. Those are the ones that so many people loved, and were asking for in new colors. A size 10 regular in those was an absolute perfect fit for me, but when you brought out the straight leg, I had to go up to a size 12 Tall to get the waist fit and the rise. I don't know what happened to the sizing. The hip and leg were bigger but the waist was tighter, even though I think the garment sizing was shown as being the same. My body size never changed, because the original ones still fit me perfectly.

Are you EVER going to bring back the boot cut - with the original sizing?

Thanks!

"HI, we are working on bringing back the original How Smooth bootcut jeans. thank you for your patience. Great to hear that you are one of their fans! Have you ever tried any of our other bootcut jeans??"

My other questions:

Me: how can a pant or jean be called "straight leg" if the knee circumference is over 2" bigger than the bottom leg opening? According to every definition I've ever seen, that's a "tapered" leg all the way down. I realize that in some ways it looks straight, but it isn't, and a tapered leg just doesn't look as good on some people. The How Smooth straight leg and the How Comfy side pocket straight leg pants are both tapered from the thigh down to the bottom according to the measurements.

Answer: "HI, good question. Sometimes it is deceiving when looking at just a measurement. Most straight legs do have similar or smaller leg openings when compared to the knee. Fabrication also makes a difference. When visually on the body, it looks like a straight leg. Most tapered legs have a fuller thigh that tapers down to a very narrow leg opening.

"Today's pant A259219 is a straight leg. It is modeled after our Original Waist Side Pocket Pants A53351, also a straight leg. These styles are very similar in garment measurements, but today's pant is in our How Comfy french terry knit."

Me: Now I'm totally confused... The pant shown on Items Recently on Air is A260245 Denim & Co How Comfy Side Pocket Straight Leg Pants, but when I click on that to see the item, it takes me to a different item number, A259219 Denim & Co Regular How Comfy Side Pocket Pants, which shows "Leg Shape: narrow, tapers from thigh to leg opening"... not straight leg...

Answer: "HI, sorry about that. That is a typo. This style should have a straight leg, same as our Original Waist side pocket pant."

Apparently they just can't get it together on what is a true "straight leg" (if they actually made one you might be able to wear it) and what is a "boot cut" compared to the "tapered" pants they keep calling straight leg!

Esteemed Contributor

Did not know they went anywhere?... I see them all over the place. Try going online with denim and Company they still sell the boot cut pants.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still on a rant about this, because I just don't want to buy any more pants or jeans from Denim & Co (although I would like to get some additional colors), because everything they call straight leg is actually tapered - the measurements prove it!

This is my take on how pants should be categorized, so it will not be so confusing and wrong:

A259219 - D&Co How Comfy Side Pocket Pants: Thigh - 25, Knee 17.5, Bottom 15. It gets smaller from the thigh to the knee, and smaller from the knee to the bottom, which makes it TAPERED as the description says.

Item A70727 D&Co How Timeless Regular Boot Cut Pants has measurements of: Thigh 25.25, Knee 17.75 and Bottom 18.5 - making the bottom opening barely 3/4" bigger than the knee - this is not a boot cut, this should be considered a STRAIGHT LEG, since it is almost the same at the bottom as it is at the knee. A true straight leg should be the same circumference at the bottom as it is at the knee, or very close to it like this one, but they're calling this a boot cut.

A true Boot Cut needs to be about 1-1/2 to 2 inches bigger at the bottom than at the knee...i.e., Item A236211 D&Co How Modern Boot Cut 5-Pocket Jeans: Thigh 24.5, knee 17.5, and bottom 19.5 - THIS IS A BOOT CUT. (Some people might call it a flare or bell-bottom, but those would be about 21-23" at the bottom.) These are almost sold out, but even if they weren't, the rise is too short for me - they look like they come below the belly button.

The first How Smooth boot cut, in my opinion and that of many others, was PERFECT .... but why would they want to keep a GREAT JEAN? No, they had to "improve it"!{#emotions_dlg.angry}{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Sorry, I'm done!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/15/2014 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.scared}Did not know they went anywhere?... I see them all over the place. Try going online with denim and Company they still sell the boot cut pants.

We're talking about the original "How Smooth Boot Cut Jeans" - they never brought the originals back, they changed them drastically and still call them "How Smooth" - it's not the same jean. A229866

Denim & Co. How Smooth Modern Waist Regular Pull-on Jeans

Honored Contributor

Where did they go???? I'm a curvy size 16/18 and while I do wear slim straights on occasion; I prefer a dark wash or black bootcut jean. That's my best jean look. I find bootcuts everywhere I shop. Online, here at QVC, in stores. Bootcut never went anywhere. Although, the modern bootcut is slimmer in the leg and the bottom is not as exaggerated as it was back in the day. If you like the old style bootcut jean, my friend gets them from The Gap.

Honored Contributor

I was going to suggest the Gap too. Modern boot cut are now called Baby Boot cut. Just a suggestion of a flare. I don't know why people wrestle with QVC for their version of jeans. Go get real jeans in the store. Like all jeans there, they are cut in two versions. Regular (modern) or curvy.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/15/2014 songbird said:

I was going to suggest the Gap too. Modern boot cut are now called Baby Boot cut. Just a suggestion of a flare. I don't know why people wrestle with QVC for their version of jeans. Go get real jeans in the store. Like all jeans there, they are cut in two versions. Regular (modern) or curvy.

Maybe those of you who have posted about going other places to buy jeans are just not familiar with the particular jeans the OP posted about. I gave the item # and picture above...the point of those particular jeans is the way the waist is made - it's pull-on but doesn't look like it is, it holds you in, flattens your stomach, and eliminates muffin tops-they even make my rear look better at my age! If anyone doesn't have any of those problems, then that's wonderful, you can probably buy jeans anywhere. I carry my weight in my middle and have slim hips and thighs, and no matter where I've looked or bought (and I've probably bought hundreds of jeans in my lifetime), none ever fit the way these did or make me look the way these do. The 5-star reviews were BEGGING Denim & Co to bring them back in more colors (almost everything completely sold out), but when they did, as I posted above, they completely CHANGED the jean from the original, and people were up in arms about it.

So yes, we're aware that we can buy boot cut jeans in other places, and I know about "baby boot cut" - these are not in any way a flared jean, they're about 1" bigger at the bottom than at the knee. But it's the way they're made, the original sizing, and the way the waist is done that made everyone want them back.

So it's a very specific jean that can work for most people, but it REALLY works for people with my body type. I've probably tried on more jeans in my lifetime than any other 10 types of clothing items combined, and NEVER found any that fit and make me look the way these do.

Honored Contributor

Add me to the list of WANTERS.
Valued Contributor

On 10/15/2014 violann said: Add me to the list of WANTERS.

Me too. I love them the tall inseam is perfect for me.