Honored Contributor

Leggings that look like tights with short tops?

I was at an outdoor auction Saturday and was surprised to see an attractive woman with a fabulous figure wearing the thinnest of leggings with a short cropped jacket. DH noticed also, he mentioned this woman had no panty lines and no figure flaws. My question: Is this excusable with a perfect shape? I was under the impression leggings were to be worn with a top that came to the bottom of the tush.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Leggings that look like tights with short tops?

TV shopping channels show long tops over leggings to appeal to a broader and older clientele. In the real world, I rarely see this look where I live. I see younger women with better figures wearing short tops with leggings all the time. More power to them.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in Denver and LA (really Long Beach) this last week...and I saw leggings and shorter tops everywhere.

Most of the gals I saw wearing had knock out bodies. Not all were under 30.

Couple of gals who probably should have called a friend first. Just saying.....

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Frequent Contributor

I see leggings with regular length tops (not covering tush) all the time. A lot of times it is ath-leisure wear stuff. If you have the figure and the tight/leggings are opaque it is fine.

Respected Contributor

On 10/12/2014 kate2357 said:

I was in Denver and LA (really Long Beach) this last week...and I saw leggings and shorter tops everywhere.

Most of the gals I saw wearing had knock out bodies. Not all were under 30.

Couple of gals who probably should have called a friend first. Just saying.....

LOL. You see that a lot in my gym ... as much as the other. Funny way to put it.

Honored Contributor

Remember a while ago when Lululemon had the problem with the see thru yoga pants and the CEO said that only fit women should be wearing them????

I don't like the short top look due to the nether region tendency to create visible panty and other lines.

Honored Contributor

I see the short tops with tight leggings a lot. By short, I mean close to the hips. Not the long night gown length from QVC. Mostly at the university. Most have good bodies for it. But I have seen some that are "unfortunate" I avoid leggings. Wear jeggings instead. I wear snug skinny jean with short tops. along with little jackets. Good body? Show it! Heck with anyone else. The look is still lean but with shorter tops.

Honored Contributor

It is a big look on my college campus and truthfully, many of the girls who do this apparently have no idea how they look to people they're walking in front of.
Esteemed Contributor

It's a fashion Don't, regardless of shape or age IMO.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is an attractive look.

I don't think leggings look good with any length top.