Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 10/12)

Greetings, shopping friends. I managed to sleep late, getting up at 8am. I'm fighting the bug, one of the risks of working in a school where something is always going around. I did go to the city yesterday to get my hair cut and have lunch with a friend. I had planned to see a movie but I was so exhausted that I returned home after the late lunch.

I now have all my items replaced from the lost wallet, so I'm good to go on a number of fronts. One of my resolutions is just to carry one credit card, the one I most frequently use. The others will be added with planned use and removed when use is not in the plans.

When I returned home yesterday, I turned on the Q and saw a pair of Judith Ripka earrings I liked. Earrings are a weakness, so I ordered them in a moment of wanting something to make me feel better. I'm debating canceling or just waiting to see how they look. I know they are not a need.

I am thinking about the lure of easy pay. I can go to Amazon and buy a big ticket item and pay for it in full as that card is paid in full each month. Yet, when something is offered on easy pay on QVC, if it is something I really want or need, I'll go for the easy pay. I'm debating having all future purchases not being on easy pay unless it is something over $100. Having easy pay on something less than $50 never made sense to me. The easy pays always go on that card I pay in full each month, and it is the card of choice I carry with me.

I'm watching Criminal Minds right now. Depending upon how I feel later, I may get into a decluttering mood.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SUNDAY, 10/12)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, sorry you are not feeling well. Glad you had a good time in the city, too bad it was cut short. What movie were you going to see? I have a couple I would like to get too, I just never remember to go. I ordered the huggie earrings in citrine yesterday, hope I like them when I receive them, I hate so sent things back.

How is your niece doing, I am thinking of you both.

Glad you got your wallet taken care of, I need to go thru mine again and make note of the numbers and what card they are incase of losing them, I did it awhile ago but not sure if I have added or subtracted any cards. I leave many of the cards at home because I just don't go to those stores that often. I think there are a few cards in the "dead file" at some of the stores because they have not been used in years.

Not much going on here today, we did get a frost last night and my flowers are officially dead. This afternoon I will be cleaning out the flower pots and throwing the hanging baskets away, guess summer is officially gone.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Yes, it is the time of year when flowers have gone to their reward and their beauty is past tense. I have pots to clean out but I'm not doing it today. I keep a record of my card numbers and contact numbers at home separate from the cards. I also carry a copy with me when traveling but I have it coded so that only I know what the real number on the card. Enjoy the citrine earrings.

I was going to see Gone Girl but I think I'll likely end up seeing it via Netflix, etc. later on. Right now, I'm going to have a light lunch and then hit the bed as the throat is getting worse. Sometimes I can get over this quickly and I hope this is the case now.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Our State Capitol complex:

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry you are not feeling well. That is a beautiful picture you shared. I so love seeing these types of Fall scenes. Hope you like the earrings if you decide not to cancel your order. I have never purchased Judith Ripka -- some of her things do look nice, but I am usually fairly good at resisting jewelry, unlike other things like clothes, shoes, etc. Glad to hear you have replaced your missing wallet contents. I need to take a few cards out of my wallet -- too much trouble to replace all those cards.

Hope you like the earrings you ordered yesterday Susan. Sorry that your flowers have died. I purchased an orchid at the grocery store last Friday since the one I had purchased earlier had died.

It is a pretty day here, and DH and I had a nice walk. Nothing exciting planned -- gym after church and ironing later.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, LindaR, Karen, twinny, Gayle, Rosa, Jules, Nancy, Sonya, Val, Kathy, Gina, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--It is funny but the credit cards were the easiest to replace. I had them all replaced within less than a week. It is the other cards that were a challenge, such as AAA, AARP, Body Donation, membership cards, etc. I am much better at resisting clothing purchases than jewelry when I want a pick up or a change and earrings is my go to for a fashion accent.

I'm off to the bed for some Kindle time and some rest. I think Midnight is acting as if he wants to join me as he as been looking toward the bedroom, coming back toward me and then returning toward the bedroom.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Jean, I had to laugh when I read you slept in until 8 a.m. - I keep telling myself I have to get into the habit of getting up early since it gets dark earlier, but was thinking more like 10 a.m.! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Praying for your niece.

I got quite a bit done yesterday - some things put away, several loads of laundry, litter boxes scrubbed, cousins' birthday gifts wrapped and ready to mail, bed changed... I was going to do my Christmas child boxes, but then remembered I have some plain T-shirts I had gotten at Dollar Tree. I have a lot of iron-on decorations in my craft supplies so I have to get that done first, since the shirts will go on the bottom of the box...time to get out the iron! (Now where is it????) {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

That's a beautiful picture of the changing leaves, Jean - I have to take a drive and enjoy them while I can, as they're so pretty. That was one of the few things I missed when living in Hawaii, even though there are seasonal changes in the foliage there; that, and squirrels - I love those little critters.

Movies have gotten so expensive that I either catch them when (if) they come to the cheapie theater, or else I can watch them on Amazon. Actually, the latter is preferable, since I don't have to deal with people talking loudly, phones ringing, babies crying, etc.

Those Easy Pays sure can get one intro trouble, as I found out with my ShopHQ purchases! I got those wallets, an expensive purse, three pair of shoes, and a couple of other things, since they often offer six Value Pays on everything. Well, $6 here and $8 there adds up fast! {#emotions_dlg.scared} Thankfully, I'm through with them next month. My favorite bear (who, unlike my cheapie cats who never give me anything unless it's in a litter box) is thinking of using his allowance to get me an Anuschka purse for Christmas, but he'll be limited to ONE Value-Pay item at a time. Wink

Well, guess I'd better start thinking about what I want to do today. It's overcast again with rain forecast, so I suppose I'll take the dogs for a walk before it starts. Oh, yesterday we went for a walk in the neighborhood, and I saw by the license plate on one of the new neighbors' cars that the husband is a fireman, so I expect they'll be decent, law-abiding neighbors who can afford to maintain their property, unlike the prior ones. There's a small girl's bike on the porch as well; I hope she's a sweet little one, and I can get to "borrow" her at times. (I love little girls.)

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Oh I agree those ez-pays/value pays can certainly be a lure/trap!. I was channel surfing one day and they had Annuska purses featured--saw some lovely ones flying out the door!. There must be some collectors out there.

Hopefully you will have nice neighbors. Certainly one who has a job is a plus!. It is a bit overcast here also today. Rained during the night and only a bit cooler.

Is is early for first frost?

We don't have changing colors---but the picture was certainly lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, what a nice fall picture. This is my favorite time of year. We will probably be at peak here if the rain doesn't knock off all of the leaves. It is supposed to rain for the next three days. We did get a light frost again last night. Hoping you are feeling better by the time you sub again. Did you get your hair cut short? Mine looks best short as it is so fine. I hope you like your earring purchase.

Susan, I don't know if my flowers are alright or not. DH is the yard man around here & he hasn't had time to go outside & take a look at things. I like hoops the best as it hurts my fingers to remove the ends off of the post.

Our DDIL loves orchids & grows lots of them in their Boston area home. I am no good with any live plants as I either over water or totally forget about watering them.

FHG, It sounds like you might have some nice neighbors. Hopefully that little girl will be fun for you too. I am not a movie person. I think the last movie I went to was with my 13 y/o DGS when he was about 2. It was a train movie at Christmas time. He loved Thomas the Train so that is whey we went to see it. He was terrified as it was so loud & it was so cold in there we almost needed our winter woolies. He jumped up on my lap & never moved until it was all over even though I did ask him if he wanted to leave as soon as the movie started.

Nothing exciting going on around here for sure. We did make it to church then did eye drops. Then ate lunch out & looked at a few cars, did more eye drops & finished car looking. DH is watching the Packers. I am looking forward to going into the hot tub then a nice nap before dinner. My brother will be coming up Tuesday & Thursday to help us out. I told him to only come at 5:00 & to leave at 9:00 as we shortened the eye drop schedule by two hours as none of us can stay up until 11:00 anymore. Now I am feeling guilty as he told me that he gets up at 5:00 a.m. some days & 3:00 a.m. others. The thing is I am not supposed to get exhausted & right now I am very exhausted.

DH & I did really enjoy the 90th birthday party yesterday & the nice visit from our DD & family. They are such a blessing to us. We all went down to a nice Italian place for dinner. DD had a spinach calzone which fed her & her DH as it was so huge. The rest of us had pizza. She did tell me that mom's eye looks much better than it did 2 weeks ago when she first saw it. One of my DH's brothers is an optometrist so he stopped to see mom's eye yesterday as he & his wife & his mom were at the same party that we were. He did say that usually the sight comes back, but so far there is no sight except for light in her left eye. Mom is very discouraged by all of this but we are still praying for some sight to return.

Hugs to all of you.

Respected Contributor

LindaR - I do NOT want to hear about Anuschka purses - there are some terrible enablers out there! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The last neighbor was a waitress on the breakfast shift at a third-rate buffet restaurant; there was no way she could have afforded that house, and her father foolishly put the mortgage in his name, as no doubt she'd never have been approved on her own. She had almost no furniture, was on food stamps, and couldn't even afford clothing - most of the time when I saw her she had on a T-shirt from the restaurant where she works, and her daughter was often in things that were too small. Not putting down someone who works at a job like that, but common sense should tell you to not buy more house than you can comfortably pay for; she had trouble keeping up with the mortgage right from the start.

Twinny, I'm exhausted from just reading all that you have to do. Praying for you!

I'm having trouble getting moving here - it's a good afternoon for a nap!