Regular Contributor

What to Wear October/November in Sarasota, FL???

I will be in Florida (Sarasota) at the end of this month through Thanksgiving. What should I bring for clothing from my home in the Northeast. I checked average temperatures, but I am concerned about colors and styles. At home, I would wear fall colors but not sure about taking my lighter weight garments I have in the fall palette. I would appreciate anyone who is familiar with fall in Florida to comment? Does anyone wear white? I do see white clothing when we are there in January thru March, but many are tourists/snowbirds then. Thank you for any input.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to Wear October/November in Sarasota, FL???

Saw this on my Kindle yesterday. Don't know how it got passed up. Sorry.

Believe it or not, people in Florida dress just like any place else. We shop the same stores and wear the same fashions. Only a few days in Summer are really that hot!

Bring clothes to layer. Short sleeve and/or 3/4 sleeve tops. A shirt or light jacket. If it should get cold, layer! We do. Capris are everywhere. Nice ones with a great top will go to dinner. Any day you are comfortable in capris, you will be comfortable in long, light weight pants. We often have cool mornings and warm afternoons.

You don't need a new wardrobe (although it is a good reason to buy one). Just bring what you would wear on a 70-85 degree day at home - plus a good light weight jacket.

Some snowbirds think that you must wear the least amount of clothes you can without getting chill bumps. Not necessary! We do wear white and colors year round. Color is everywhere outside, why not wear and enjoy it!

Hope you enjoy Florida! Sarasota is a beautiful place; right on the water!

Respected Contributor

Trips to Naples, FL in Nov and then in Feb-Mar: wear lightweight clothing but take along a jacket in case the rare cold snap arrives in Winter. Too, a rain jacket might also work with a heavier sweater. Color wise, light and bright is typical. While visiting a major flea market in N. Fort Myers, a saleswoman commented on where was my home. How did she know? She told me the colors I was wearing are typical for the north ( navy ). Take a look in their department stores and see the difference. Sarasota is about 2 hours drive further north than Naples and gets a little cooler weather but not as cool as The Villages. Enjoy your trip and stop in at the Red Barn Fleamarket nearby.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

Thank you, ladies. I had almost given up when no one had posted. I decided to check one more time and to my surprise, your responses were there. Both are full of good pointers and will definitely give me ideas of what to pack. A new mall opens in Sarasota this weekend. If I do not have exactly what I need, I can take a field trip! ??
Regular Contributor

Another thank you!
Trusted Contributor

I have family there. It's hot. Dress for comfort.
Valued Contributor

I'm sitting here at my computer in Sarasota. It is about 92 outside, unbearable! I'm wearing cropped jeans, short-sleeve tshirt. They are predicting a cool down (mid 80's) on Wednesday...can't wait for that. I would say wear the same clothes you would wear in May, June up North. End of Nov. the nights might be in the 60's.

Funny, we're flying up for Thanksgiving to Connecticut. I have my winter wardrobe packed away from last year. So, I'm doing the reverse.

Enjoy, the weather should be beautiful and you can wear whatever you want.

Honored Contributor

I would take long sleeves, long pants and a jacket. But nothing with a lot of weight to it. you could also throw in a pair of crops and a couple short sleeve tops. Be sure to visit Ringling Museum and St Armands Circle. if it is hot, Siesta Key Beach is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I live in Sarasota - it is hot and humid here until around Christmas. I would bring summer weight clothing and everyone just wears light colors like you wear up north in the summer. Today is 90 and sunny and humid. I will wear white pants all through the winter if they are the best look for the top I want to wear. In other words - just break out your summer clothes and you will be fine - no need for anything special. I will be wearing t shirt dresses in light colors to church all winter.Pack your flip flops and swimsuits - you'll fit right in.

Enjoy your time in Paradise.

Regular Contributor

Great answers...I will change my plans and leave fall colors home. Other than some warm traveling clothes and a few "layer" items for an occasional all cool day, I will bring summer clothes and not be concerned about wearing white. Thank you for sharing. Nothing beats the advice of the year-round residents.