Respected Contributor
I wish some of the tops offered by the various designers had more of a jewel neckline. I have narrow shoulders and boat/bateau necklines make me look like I have no shoulders at all!
Esteemed Contributor

I hear you. I have small shoulders and run into the same problems. I prefer smaller necklines (crew neck or jewel neck) because I have a small neck and small shoulders. Most necklines are too large, falling off my shoulders, showing bra straps, or coming down too low in the front. It's very uncomfortable to have the neckline constantly moving around.

Respected Contributor

I'm with you! Although I love boatnecks, some of them are too wide for my small shoulders.

I will say that Talbot's has addressed this issue in the last year or so, and their boatnecks now fit me fine. And they have a lot to choose from.

The jewel neckline is one of my favorites, but they can be hard to find.

Honored Contributor

I have small-ish shoulders and I'm very pear-shaped, so a true boatneck widens my top and balances my proportions.

Plus, it's my favorite neckline.

It also works with any kind of necklace, including ones that look better inside a collared shirt.

Gotta lift weights, etc. to get some muscles in my top half, which will also widen my shoulders.

Super Contributor

I hear you OP, I can't wear a boat neck top either!! My shoulders are very narrow.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the way they behave with necklaces.

Super Contributor

I don't care for this type of neckline either. Sometimes your bra straps will show. I just don't find the boat neck flattering.

Super Contributor
I don't care for boat neck. I too have small shoulders and I don't like my bra straps showing. I like v-necks I think they are more becoming on most people. Have you noticed that some vendors make all their tops same cut just add some sprackles or something? Example Ruby Road and Quackery Factory. Guess it's cheaper to do that.