Respected Contributor

Letting go of items that you love

I have a couple tops that the silhouette is so very flattering and they are the purple color that I love. Both happen to be Walmart shirts that are several years old, and cotton, and they look a little tired but no snags or tears (actually one has been mended a couple times).

I am THINKING about going through my closet but I find I get attached to my tops. They remind me of places I've been and people I've spent time with and I have a hard time letting go of them.

How do you know when to let go?

Honored Contributor

Re: Letting go of items that you love

here is how i let things go.....

i get numerous calls per month from charity pick up services. some of them even send marked plastic bags in the mail now.

i make a point of saying "yes, i have things to donate" if i answer the phone OR i call the number on the plastic bag. this way i am "obligated" to get at least one bag together for pick up. it forces me to go through my closets (and my kids go through their closets also) and make at least one bag of giveaways.

we also have pop up consignment sales around our area at least twice a year. i start gathering things together, pricing them, and getting them ready for the sale that usually lasts 4 days. whatever doesnt sell you can pick up OR have them donate it to charity. it is nice to have a few extra dollars to go out and spend......on more clothing. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

If they look tired I have no problem passing them on, they served me well, I enjoyed them , And now it's time for something new. Nothing lasts forever. I have many items that I may only wear once a season so they've been with me for years.
Super Contributor

Luckily I am not sentimental about clothes. I still hang on longer than I should. I am afraid I will reach for it to go with something and it won't be there. Or I will need it for some outing or occasion. But the time comes that my closet is bursting or I haven't worn the garment in years so out it goes.
Honored Contributor

If they are ""tired"" then it's time to stop wearing them.

You can take a picture of yourself in them or save them up and make a quilt of them so you can enjoy them in a new way.

Esteemed Contributor

I more often than not do not become so attached to clothes that I can't part with a still good item. My so called fashion clothes come and go at will. Since my size has been consistent over the years, classic items such as turtlenecks, cardigans, black slacks in fine fabrics such as wool, cashmere, and silk, I keep until they start to look worse for wear. Usually, when I can't let go it's an item such as a polar fleece pullover cowl neck tunic I bought from Coldwater Creek, so many years ago, that I can't recall when. It's starting to look like a top which has seen better days, but I use that gizmo I bought from QVC which helps remove pilling and lint and keep wearing it. The top is just so perfect for throwing on over gym clothes on cool mornings, or working in my garden on cool days.

Regular Contributor

My sister made a quilt out of her old softball team/tournament shirts, and it turned out really nice. When my dad passed away a couple years ago, my mom cut up his shirts and made pillows out of them for us 12 kids, plus herself and a few few grandkids. They are an awesome reminder of my dad Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I let go of things I love when they start to look worn. Sometimes it is sad to see a favorite clothing item go because I loved wearing it so much, but I don't like wearing things that are obviously worn-looking. Sometimes I will wear a piece around the house for a while before I let it go. Usually, I find and buy a new favorite piece to replace it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't typically become so attached to my clothing/handbags/shoes that once they start showing signs of wear it would be difficult to part with.

I understand how we attach memories to certain things and if difficult to part with, I do like the idea of piecing together fabric to create a scarf/wrap or a quilt or pillow. I have even seen picture frames made out of fabric.

Trusted Contributor

I don't. That's why I have way too many clothes/shoes/accessories.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004