Honored Contributor

Do you machine wash items that say hand wash?

I have a couple of things that are supposed to be hand wash. I'm tired of washing by hand. Has anyone tried to wash in the machine? I don't machines dry them. It is time consuming and messy. Especially pants. I was thinking of trying them on delicate cycle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you machine wash items that say hand wash?

I do not hand wash anything. I put items in a laundry bag and wash on the delicate cycle. Sometimes I turn them inside out.

Frequent Contributor

If it says hand wash, I use the delicate cycle with cold water and have never had a problem.
Super Contributor

Yes, "hand wash" is code for delicate cycle.

Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, even my local hardware store -- all sell mesh laundry bags for a couple of bucks. I have many and just bag up my nicer things and toss all bags in with a minimal amount of regular laundry detergent. Line dry always, and my clothes stay looking like new.

I feel clothing gets cleaner in the washer than by hand, as well.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I think I've been burned 1 or 2 times by that in my life, but pretty much it always works out.

I bought a flyaway cardigan with hand embroidery at a boutique last summer and because it's a white background, it was time for a good dunk around the arms where it gets black from rubbing on the desk at work.

I turned it inside out and put it in a lingerie bag and it came out fine.

I can get another summer out of it next year and then it may be done (or out of style by then if flyaways are not in anymore).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Yes, I will machine wash things that say to hand wash, and if they live... I keep them. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Seriously not into too much hand washing but I do have a couple of great gentle settings, and will dry the item in the garage on my dryer stands. Most turn out great....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Always in the machine on delicate!

Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 buddylou said:

Always in the machine on delicate!

I usually also turn them inside out. No problems whatever.

Super Contributor

No. I hand wash. It's really not inconvenient for me. I have a lot of stuff that has to be hand washed ... I'm used to it.

Esteemed Contributor

I always put hand wash items in the machine on the delicate cycle. I think they get cleaner that way and nothing has been damaged in any way, and I don't use (or even have) any mesh laundry bags.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead