Honored Contributor

Outlet shopping...how much do you do?

And how much do you actually save? I go to an upscale outlet mall with a friend, but I know what I'm looking at. Those Coach bags are manufactured for outlets for sure, but you may not be aware of how much is there to fool you!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/08/26/outlet-shopping-secrets-savings-experiment?icid=maing-grid7%7...

How much do you buy at outlets?

Valued Contributor

Re: Outlet shopping...how much do you do?

We have a premium outlet mall here and when I went into the Talbots I noticed it wasn't clothes they have in their stores. The sales associate said they carry clothes made just for the outlet and the quality seemed cheaper to me.

I 'll probably shop the outlets twice a year.

Honored Contributor

Yes, most of the Outlet bags for Coach are made specically for Coach Outlets. That's not to say that they don't get end of season or unsold clearanced items from Dept Stores.

When I lived in San Diego I'd go up to Carlsbad to their outlets or down to the southern border for their outlets. I never really thought I was getting a great bargain, but I enjoyed shopping there anyway.

When Outlets first started out many years ago, I think that it was a place to dump merchandise from designer stores that just wasn't moving and at that time the prices were good. But that changed IMHO.... and I agree that there is much there to fool the public.

i haven't been to an Outlet in years.... haven't really missed it. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I do shop 2-3 times a year. Mostly Ralph Lauren, Cole Haan,Kate Spade, Brooks Brds
Super Contributor

I'm not a big outlet shopper. Not one near us, it's a bit of a drive. Sometimes I go around holiday time if I'm searching for something specific for someone for a gift. DH likes to go once or twice a year, to some of the stores for menswear so I will go with him when he wants to go to get something but other than that, I usually don't go.

I shopped more at outlets when my children were little and I was buying a lot of kids clothing and items. But then we lived very close to an outlet mall too.

Honored Contributor

I don't go to actually save money - LOL

There is a nice outlet mall that we pass sometimes and we'll stop there. If we find something, we find something.

Super Contributor

The last time I was at at outlet center ... was in 2009 in Las Vegas. Before that? About 1990 in New Jersey.

Valued Contributor

There was a piece just this week on one of the TV news programs. Things are made with cheaper fabric, strings hanging on everywhere. There is a big difference and the prices don't take this in consideration. Save your money.

Valued Contributor

double post

Honored Contributor

I almost never go, as I'm usually not impressed. We do have some big outlets just outside Austin and whenever we have colleagues from our Mexico office visit, they always want to go to the malls and outlets.