Respected Contributor

SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT TUES!

Good morning friends! It is a cool day here, quite invigorating!! No more shopping on my radar. DD called me crying this morning after studying very hard for several days she took an anatomy test and didn't do so well. I had to laugh a little because she already had it figured that this one test was going to bring her grade down, she was going to lose her financial aid, and needs to immediately look into other schools. I'm glad I am able to encourage her a little bit.

What is everyone up to? After all that peach cobbler recipe testing, I was given the recipe to the one that I loved so much. I might have to make some cobbler tonight and try it out. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT TUES!

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Kathleen. We are still having warm/hot weather, but they are saying next week may be cooler (highs in the 80's and lows in the 60's). I won't be sorry to see slightly cooler temperatures, but I don't like winter/cold weather at all.

Sorry about DD's test results Kathleen. Glad you could comfort her a bit. Pretty catastrophic that one test could change things so drastically, but I guess that is the case sometimes.

Enjoy your new cobbler recipe.

DH and I had a nice walk this morning, and we will be going to the senior lunch program in a while. After that, I plan to go to the gym (he has joined me the last few times, so I hope he will today).

I'm very disappointed that a "personal size" watermelon I purchased the other day was totally rotten inside. Looked good on the outside, but.... Unfortunately, that has happened to me several times this summer -- melons being rotten inside. Boo!

I bought two clothing items yesterday -- shorts from Wal-Mart (marked down to $3), and exercise capris from Beall's (they were marked down plus I had a Monday special discount for being over 50.) So, they capris were only $10, and I paid by cash. I rarely use my cash for clothing, but..... Neither of those purchases were "needs", but I know that I'll put them to use as soon as they are washed.

Waves to Jean, Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Karen, Rosa, Gayle, Val, Nancy, Sonya, Gina, Kathy, Jules, birdmama, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I guess I wasn't very clear - she was just thinking the worst, much like I do when a couple things go wrong, suddenly it is the end of the world!

I haven't bought melons in a couple years because they are never bery sweet. You did great with your purchases Linda! Oh, I have never made carrot cake but it sounds yummy.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, thanks for starting us Kathleen. I too thought you meant your DD is looking for another school because her anatomy test did not go well...maybe she did better than she expected to do. I too usually jump to conclusions right away. DH is the calm one nothing bothers him! It was chilly here this morning 43 degrees...it's looking like the frost is creeping towards the pumpkin too fast as far as I'm concerned.

LindaL hope your GS is doing better, what a scare that have been for your DD. I don't think I have ever bought a personal size melon,I just usually buy one already cut etc. Sounds like you found great prices on your shorts and capris yesterday. Enjoy your lunch program today,

Not much going on here it has warmed up to the 60's and the sun is out. I notice quite a few trees are starting to turn. I saw my pool guys today and asked if we were the last holdouts on pool closing....they said no only about half have been closed.

Have a nice afternoon .....Marijane

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, I was pretty much out of commission again yesterday due to another eye problem. I stopped by the optomologist and he gave me a prescription for eye drops which, amazingly, were only $4 at Walmart. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I did have some errands to run, including taking Whisper to the vet, as she wanted to check his thyroid and kidney function. $207 to find out he's fine, but thank goodness for that- he's so very precious to me. {#emotions_dlg.wub} Poor guy has had so many problems from his years on the street, and is missing many teeth, but he couldn't be more loved or better taken care of than he is now.

LindaL, I haven't seen personal sized melons; I would like one last watermelon for the season, but neither Walmart nor Aldi had any. I've learned to save the receipts from produce and if it's bad, I ask for my money back, as I don't have cash to waste. Like you I don't mind slightly cooler temps, but hate the cold.

My pool guy said it's best to close it down (and also open it) when the weather is cool, so I guess I'll wait until next month to call him. We're supposed to have a few more hot days, but the temps are dropping to the 50s at night, so the water doesn't get warm enough for me to want to go into it.

I did stop by Beall's Outlet, as I had a $5 off any purchase coupon. To my surprise they still had mostly summer clothing out, although unlike Goody's they're starting to bring in fall items. I see Burlington is opening this weekend; I'll check them out at some point. i did see some cute summer things at Walmart that were reduced to $2; I don't need anything, but got a cute top for my aunt with Alzheimer's, since her "thing" is opening presents, and also one for my cousin who takes care of her.

Well, I need to get moving. I'm determined to stick to my diet this time, and since Publix has soup on sale I need to pick some up before the sale ends. I find if I don't eat sweets for a day or two I don't crave them, so it's just the first 2-3 days that are tough. I also have a bunch of homework to catch up on, but my doctor faxed a note to my advisor who will forward copies to the profs.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Kathleen - Thank you for starting us today, hope your DD's test is better than she thinks. I am so not shopping today, just have not seen anything I really like, yesterday I bought two new throw pillows for the couch, the other two had a real weird smell to them. So guess it was time for new ones.

LindaL - Glad you got out for your walk today, glad the temps are getting cooler for you also. Hope all the GC are feeling better. Enjoy your senior lunch program.

Mari Jane - We also have one of those security covers on our pool, that is why we call the pool guy to close ours, it is just too heavy to lug on top of the pool. I love my pool guy.

Not much going on here, I do have a bathroom to scrub down, I am an exciting person I know. DH swept the floors downstairs this morning while I had my Dr's appt. my cholesterol is up again, I have to get back to being more diligent about that again. Well off to be do the bathroom, hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Trusted Contributor

Arlene - Sorry about the eye issue, hope it heals quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

I lost my quick post this morning, so I will try again as we had to leave the house soon. Kathleen I hope your DD gets her college things in order soon. No fun having to worry about college scholarships or changing colleges at the spur of the moment.

LL, I have never purchased the personal sized watermelon, but it would be no fun getting a rotten one. I hope your GC are all feeling better soon. Have fun at the sr. center & maybe lunch there too. You did good on your clothing shopping too. I love any dessert that has peaches in it.

Marijane, My husband is the calm one around here too. I guess I have enough anxious moments for both of us. It is cool & nice here too. They say 70's all week & no rain for at least a week. Yeah. Our trees are just starting to turn. This is my favorite time of the year as I hate hot weather.

FHG,I hope your eye problems clear up quickly. Best wishes on sticking to your diet. Never a fun or easy thing to do.

Susan, sometimes my life sounds as exciting as yours. I like a clean house so I try to do some each day so I don't wear my self down cleaning house. DH does his house cleaning chores on Saturday so then he is done for a week. Ha. Ha.

I had my appt. at the UW clinic yesterday. It took longer than usual as I had a student first then my regular neurologist. He seemed very nice & was very interested in my disorder. This intern tried to get my reflexes in my knees first & I was totally surprised as he got very good ones. Actually both knees flew right out at him & this hasn't happened for 13 years. Usually I don't have any reflexes at all. My Dr. told me to stay on the 6-8 week infusion schedule as he doesn't want me to get so worn down that they don't work for me. That is good as we can still travel decently when we want too. My Dr. also said that usually after 10 years if the patient is doing well like I am right now, they will continue on the same path. I appreciate your prayers & for thinking about me yesterday. It is no fun going to the "big" clinic as I know my disorder will never go away & the tests they do on me are painful. The worst one of all is the EMG which I had done last summer & will never have done again. It was like being electrocuted. Then we met our DD for lunch at P.F. Chang. DH & I hadn't been there before, so it was a nice change.

DH & I took my mom to her eye Dr. 22 miles from here this morning. She gets shots in her eye each time & next time she goes in about 6 weeks they take pictures to see if there is any progress. She has MD so it seems like a waste of time as nothing ever seems to get better. I am hoping tomorrow will be kind of a rest up day for us.

Jean, I did have the walking taco for lunch on Sunday after the church services downtown. It is a single bag of Fritos opened up. Then they put lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream & shredded cheddar on top. They give you a fork so you can walk around the square eating it. Very good too. The church service was a " polka "service. All of the hymns were played by an accordionist & the final hymn was played by the melody of beer Barrel Polka.

Hugs to all of you.

Respected Contributor

Twinny that is great news! I hope you do continue to get better and feel better. Your Mom must be in good shape, still living at home. I love PF Changs!! What did you have? I haven't been in a long time - DH does not like it that much. Your walking taco sounds very tasty, have never heard of that before.

Susan I need to be more diligent with what I eat, there is just no sense in some of the choices I make. I was going to have ice cream for breakfast but sensible Kathleen took over and put that back! lol I also clean as I go - try to do some every day. Last night I mopped a little bit. I bombed the house for bugs last week and left the poison out for a while so it's time to get it back up off the floors.

Marijane, my Beloved is also the calm one, though lately I've noticed he is much less patient. And I cheered her up and encouraged her, it was just one test she just has to study harder and college isn't like high school and she is the one who wanted to go. Then I hung up the phone and worried. lol

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I spent a day of subbing at an elementary school which was a great experience. I was faking feeling well all day so when I came home, I crashed in the bed for a couple of hours. I sub again tomorrow; the cold makes it a nuisance but this will pass. I'll be watching The Voice tonight and then hitting the bed early.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.