Super Contributor

O/T - "meet & greet" new baby party. Is this something new?

I just attended a baby shower a month or so ago and just received an invitation for a meet and greet the new baby next month. I never heard of anything like this. Any suggestions as to what I need to do/bring? another gift??

I went all out for the baby shower as this was my girlfriends first grandchild. I bought lots of little outfits, socks, hats, blankets, bibs, toys, books, etc., and made a huge, beautifully arranged basket. Now I almost wish I had purchased something small and saved the basket for this party, but who knew??! What would you do?

Thanks for your advice!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T - ""meet & greet"" new baby party. Is this something new?

Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a gift grab.
Super Contributor

I, too, have never heard of this type of thing. What are others invitees doing as far as gifting - maybe you should ask around? It reeks of a gift grab to me...

Honored Contributor

This is a new one for me, but with the "baby s-e-x reveal party" (which I'm still not crazy about), the "baby naming," and all of the showers, I'm not surprised. It will probably grow in popularity here soon! Smile

Honored Contributor

This is a socially inappropriate thing because it is obvious to anyone it is a huge gift grab - on top of that - it is not good for a just born baby to be out in public because newborn babies do not have a very good immune system. it takes a few months for it to develop. Putting a baby at risk for getting ill just to get gifts is disgusting.

Respected Contributor

Oh, nooooooooooo! It's a baby for heck's sake. Either decline with a sad face or just consider it an open house--grab a quick drink, do an ohh and ahh and get out of there. It couldn't possibly be a real thank you for supporters--nah.

Valued Contributor

Neat. Why not just go meet the baby? You already gave a gift. I'm sure nothing is expected.
Valued Contributor

Usually referred to as. "Sip and See" here, with request of NO gifts. Usually a light buffet meal is served and wine or beer. Really just an open house. I generally take a bottle of nice wine. These have been popular for a while, nothing new. Keeps new parents in control of when they see guests and actually is fun!
Honored Contributor

Wishing and hoping that none of the guests are sick, have a cold, flu, etc. Makes me very nervous when folks who are visibly ill with colds, etc. visit newborns. Anyway, a small gift. Maybe a nice frame or something meaningful that isn't overly expensive. Regardless, enjoy the day!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you could ask your girlfriend what you are expected to do, since it's her grandchild?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein