Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 9/17)

Good evening, shopping friends. I was surprised to see, when I came home from work, that the thread had not been started. It appears that we are all too busy right now, but I do hope each of us has our shopping urges under control.

I remember when this thread started over 7 years ago. An individual went into their order summary and added up what they had bought from QVC in a year. It was a shock but the individual was not alone as many then checked and saw the amount expended with QVC as well as others places. Thus began the effort to monitor spending and make better buying decisions.

We learned how to recognize those magic words of advertising and sales that tempt us to buy. We learned to delay a decision when in doubt. We learned that wanting something is often so strong that we fail to recognize that we really don't need it, and the amount of money spent on it could be better used elsewhere. We learned that often a brand name doesn't always guarantee quality as some brand names began to become complacent and let quality slip. Then there are lines of items manufactured by a brand name but sold under another label at a lower cost.

Things haven't changed. We still have the lure of temptation and the magic words that are used to entice us into believing we cannot do without the latest and greatest...even if it is just a button design change. Do we really need all the bells and whistles of the updated electronics that are passé or out of favor as soon as they are released to the market...or is the previous model still able to serve our needs?

I like fashion as much as the next person, but I live in an area where many fashions would not be used often. This is when the cost per wearing or cost per use enters into the buying decision. An expensive item can be cost effective if used often; an inexpensive item can be expensive if never used or rarely worn. Sometimes, it is better to have a few quality items that mix and match and can be worn more often than several trendy, cheap items that rarely see the day when it comes to wearing. It is all a personal decision and a value judgment based upon our economic resources and lifestyle needs.

I work tomorrow and on Friday, I have an appointment in Columbus, Ohio...a six hour round trip. If this is the end of the road for the thread, it has been a great ride!!! Hopefully, it isn't the end but time will tell!

Shop but shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (WEDNESDAY, 9/17)

Hello friends!! Thank you for starting us Jean. The thread has def been in a lull. I remember adding up my expenditures and it was around $2500. And being shocked. I joined the thread shortly thereafter. I bought a sweater last May and 3 things last year in June (1 was a gift, one was a $10 clearance item that wasn't that great and I actually gave it away this week). No spending at QVC this year, so far. I did order those scrub Daddy 10 packs for Christmas gifts but they waitlisted and I just cancelled after reading that they are expected to be stocked in January. ha ha

DD came home last night and brought her best friend. We talked for about 3 hours and I went to bed at 12:15. Woke up at 5 and made my banana bread for her before they left. I told Jesus when I got up "I'm not gonna make it today, You are going to have to intervene." I have a dinner date with older DD in Austin. I did not want to cancel. Somehow I've made it through the day.

Older DD called and I told her not much sleep so she is coming to my town and will be there shortly after work. I'm so happy about that, as I left Kyanne outside and it's raining off and on today - and she didn't eat her breakfast this morning.

That is it for my exciting life. Managed to get ahead today of the paperwork on my desk and even did some filing!!! Very happy about that. It sounds like my boss has a new project for me and it's perfect timing.

As for shopping, I've not done any. I need to buy something for DH but have put it off - might have to get it tonight. Called the hospital today to see about his bill for surgery - we have not seen that yet either. Another reason to try to stay on the frugal side.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--I still do much shopping with the Q and the internet stores but I watch the amount each month. If I see something that is really great but might push me over the budget, if I really want it, I cut back elsewhere. Cutting something out or reducing how much is spent is a test of how much you value that item in comparison to the proposed expenditure.

I'm surprised you haven't seen the surgery bill. That type of stuff usually hits me a week afterwards. "Your insurance is expected to pay X but the balance of X (your responsibility)due within 30 days" type of thing.

I'm glad you had a great time with DD and others. We find the reserves some way to tide us through the day.

The lawn person is here so this means that I have a big bill as he took care of the lawn while I was gone to Hawaii. I guess when the grass stops growing I'll have that money to use on something else to the tune of around $150 a month.

I see the Dennis Basso faux leather jacket shipped today. This is one of those rare purchases that I liked so well that I bought another in a different color. I can justify it as the black one I have by SG is 3 years old and is beginning to really show it. The quality of the Basso one is so much better, but then the price is higher also.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. I managed to ""misplace"" my wallet. Have spent the day calling for new cards etc. Need to go tomorrow to get a new DL. Everytime I think I have covered everything I think of something else. Oh my--what a chore.

I have been on shopping hiatus. Had some big expenses the past few months so I have not been watching the shopping channels. I still browse on Amazon---they seem to have it all--which can be a dangerous place indeed.

We have been having some rain showers---under some flash flood warnings but not that heavy in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaR--Sorry about the wallet. It is really a pain to have all the essentials replaced. You are so correct about Amazon; it is dangerous just to "window shop" there. Large expenses can have a big impact upon what we spend. I didn't miss watching TV while I was gone, and I'm sure that if I had tuned in that I would have found something tempting. The same for internet stores; I rarely checked in while gone.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I agree---window shopping can sometimes be too tempting. Sometimes best to avoid the "lures" if at all possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening! Sorry to be so late in posting, but I was too lazy to start our thread this morning, and then too busy this afternoon. I would say I'm doing a fair job with curbing my excessive shopping impulses, but I really think that I should be much better at resisting than I am. Oh well, work in progress as they say. One thing I saw on Facebook was that no matter how slow you walk or run, you are way ahead of those who just sit on the couch. This thread has been a lot of help for me.

So sorry about your wallet LindaR. I remember when my ex's wallet was stolen (along with the rest of his briefcase), and it took so long to get everything taken care of. I hope you get it all done, and this never happens to you again. Hugs.

I would be extremely tired with that little sleep Kathleen. Glad you were able to see DD. It took a while before the hospital sent the bill from when I went to the emergency room (after the accident), and it was a shocker. It turned out that what the insurance paid (and they accepted) was less than 10% of what they billed. Thank goodness for that. Hope your DH's bill isn't too high.

We were expecting extremely heavy rain today, but so far it has been fairly light rain. I decided not to walk this morning since it was raining, but I did walk in place again. I also went to Curves this afternoon. DH and I went out to lunch with another couple, and they invited us to their home after lunch for gelato. That was very nice -- interesting couple.

My SIL wrote to say that her daughter-in-law is expecting a boy, so I'll have a great nephew (my first "great").

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda I feel the same way with my progress. I wish I was better, but I'm a lot better than I was. The hospital is waiting on the insurance, and I was surprised but it was ok. It doesn't really matter how much it is, we will send them money every month until it's all paid. I'm sure it will take a while.

I still woke up with scruff in my throat, and itchy eye. Thought I was getting better but after being home for a while I want to cough a bunch again. Not sure what's going on but something is sure irritating me.

I didn't think I would be ok without sleep but this time I made it through the day. Had a lovely time with DD over dinner. WE got to talking to the waiter and didn't know he had a new couple across the aisle. They were mad and horribly rude - we couldn't believe they were so ugly to him, because they had to wait 3 minutes for him to get to their drink order. Guess who got a great tip and we also talked to the manager. I guess that is the way it goes in restaurants. It made me think of Austria where people don't rush in and rush out but sit and TAKE THEIR TIME over their meal.

Linda so sorry about your wallet - what a pain. I hope it will turn up somewhere, even after all that reordering. We got a couple showers today and that was about it - so much for the 60% they promised. Off to relax with the TV now and hopefully get a whole night of sleep.

Respected Contributor

LindaL: Oh how sweet a new addition to your family. Congratulations!!!

Kathleen: This is my "time of year". I am struggling more this year than the past several. I have a hacking cough, etc. Not sure what is in the air but I am feeling it. Years ago I worked with a lady who told me that she didn't need a calender to know the time of year---she could tell by my "hack"!!!

I know where I left my wallet when I came in last evening. This morning it wasn't there. I even looked outside to be sure one of the doglets didn't carry it off---they have never done this before. Alas, I didn't see it so I decided to cancel and reorder everything. Trip to DL office is so much fun (NOT). It is amazing how much I have being automatically taken out of my account (insurance and phone) so I need to change all those. Requested new insurance cards which was a struggle.

Years ago I worked in the Rehab. field. We worked alot with MAPS and fee schedules. Yes, the amount paid vs. billed is vastly different. It may be that your portion will be very small or nothing at all. After one of my DH's surgergies I was billed for some charges. I called to make payment arrangements and she told me that the insurance had paid and they would "write off" the balance. When I had my DVT I had a large balance not covered by insurance which I paid out. It probably wasn't that large an amount but I was hospitalized for ten days plus so it did add up.