Trusted Contributor

Do You "Have Fun" with Fashion?

When I read and enjoy posts on the Fashion Board here, I'm often struck by how seriously some women take fashion:

"What should I wear to my niece's upcoming outdoor wedding?

Is this style "in" or "out"?

Can I wear these wedge sandals to a dressy event?"

Most of us care about how we look, but some of us seem hung up with current trends and "rules". When you're selecting clothes for a workday, a casual outing, or a special event, do you enjoy playing with the options and putting together a look -- or are you anxious and uptight about the process? Do you feel comfortable adjusting looks to suit your needs and tastes, or do you feel you must try to copy what you've seen from fashion "experts"?

Do you have fun with fashion?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You ""Have Fun"" with Fashion?

I sure do! Everyday!

Trusted Contributor

I really ignore the fashion ""experts."" I do have fun with fashion and especially have fun shopping for fashion. I have ""my own style"" - be it good or bad.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

I wouldn't take advice from some of the so-called fashion "experts" I've seen!

I used to have more fun with fashion. I enjoyed shopping, trying on, and playing in my closet. Years ago, I shopped mostly at Harold's and had many wonderful clothing items to choose from.

Nowadays, I don't have as many options in my closet and I find myself reaching for whatever I didn't wear the week before! Shopping isn't as much fun anymore because I rarely find things that I love, the quality isn't what it used to be, and my older and wiser self isn't willing to settle for just any old thing.

I used to worry a lot about how I looked and the outfits I put together. It truly took a lot of energy. I still care a lot about the way I present myself, but fashion is less of a priority these days.

Respected Contributor

Yes, but I often like to "get ideas" here about how to "step out of my comfort zone". Occasionally I will do that, and wear a combination that I usually wouldn't wear. Sometimes it doesn't work for me and I feel a little uncomfortable all day, but sometimes I end up really liking it.

My fashion stress is all about that moment when I'm getting dressed and I don't know what I'm going to wear. Then I might try on several things - and I agree it's incredibly insane, it is also part of what makes me me. So I've just made peace with it and try to put outfits together in advance. When I do that on a regular basis, try things ahead of time, I often snap a picture and share my "fashion photo" on FB, and doing both of these keeps a group of outfits fresh on my mind.

As for special occasions, I almost never go shopping for a special occasion dress or outfit. I wear what I have, and buy as I go along.

Honored Contributor

I think it's generational, women of a certain age (60ish and above?) often live in fear of breaking the fashion rules whereas younger woman tend to have fun with fashion and accept that occasionally we wear an "Oh, no she didn't!" outfit and it's okay because it's just fashion. The world will not stop spinning. I don't pay much attention to the fashion "experts" because I don't think there are any fashion experts. It's all just a matter of personal opinions. I love fashion and style and I like putting my own look together. Except for my husband, I don't really care what anyone else thinks. If I feel good in what I'm wearing, I'm okay.

Super Contributor

Im over 70 and I don't think its about being afraid to break the rules .......I just try to dress age appropriate. You can have fun and dress sensibly at the same time.

I really enjoy the advice given on QVC and its fun to see how they style different things. Not having a daughter I have to rely on my own instincts as to what looks good or not and QVC really helps me in that way.

Super Contributor

The fashion mags can give you many ideas how to put clothes together. These are not rules, just what looks good this year. I am always looking for new ideas. I believe it takes you from oh hum to really chic. Some people don't care about these things and they look it! Each to their own. I like fashion.
Honored Contributor

I always follow trends. Especially now because they suit my body. As for rules in fashion....the new rule is there is no rules. So why the sweat?

Super Contributor

I just wear what I want. It's fairly easy for me to take something ""new"" and re-work it into my own personal style - my ""look."" I love LOGO ... but they look nothing like you see on TV when I get through with them!

MY RULES are the only ones that matter.