Super Contributor

There's just something about Joan

I think everyone has experienced Joan Rivers death in an individual way. I am in my 60's and used to love seeing her on Johnny Carson. I was so sorry about Fox letting her down. In recent years though I came to see her only as the comedian with the off-putting jokes. I didn't understand why she presented herself this way as she was getting older. Now with her death I am seeing a whole person besides the jokes. The last two nights I have watched the QVC videos with her. This has brought tears to my eyes. She just seems like a wonderful relative that I wish I had. So much wisdom and strength, and positive energy. The caring and love she had for people. So now I see that one part person is the person and the other part person is the job. Her death has hit me hard as it has the country. As a celebrity I think she touched our lives.

You have to wonder about what happened. I watched the day she had her TSV a month ago, that was 3 weeks before the surgery. She said she was tired and she had a cold. You can watch this on the video on the mock turtleneck. The caller commented on how many colds Joan had had recently. She was sick and then still working so hard, not letting up before the surgery. This must have factored into that day. Of course who knows what let up to this.

I can see watching her what truly a special women she was, and must have been to those around her. There were so many that loved her.

I apologize if this is one too many tributes, but I have been tearing up this last two nights, especially watching the videos that were just a month ago.

Super Contributor

Re: There's just something about Joan

More conjecture and too many speculative threads about the departed. Why can't everyone just let it be and let Joan R.I.P.?

This isn't letting her rest in peace.

Esteemed Contributor

Amen to that hopeQ1 - time to move forward. And the same for Quacker Factory JB - hope Angel reads this.

Honored Contributor

As a person that has lost many loved ones, a son at 27, my husband in 2012,at 62, and others in my family, I don't understand this obsession, of her death, she was 81, worth billions, had a great life,yes she suffered her husbands death, but she lifed a long life.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Luvingit:

Beyond comedy and QVC, she also wrote many books. Perhaps reading some of her books will bring you some comfort and/or closure....

Occasional Contributor

Luvingit, you're in plenty of good company, as you no doubt have witnessed the outpouring of love and admiration for this woman from everywhere and I can totally relate to and understand how you feel because I'm feeling the same way. Maybe it would have been easier to accept if Joan had been suffering from a long illness and we knew what to expect but in this situation, an otherwise healthy, very energetic woman walks into a clinic, voluntarily, not a life and death situation, and never sees the light of day again and that is what is so shocking, so terribly sad and hard to accept!!

Please disregard the snarky, nasty comments from the few who are obviously troubled by all the attention Joan has received and for some sad reason are missing a sensitivity chip and appear void of emotion and at the very least, respect for the millions of us who loved her, miss her and are so sad that she's gone.

Frequent Contributor

Howard Stern said on his show that Melissa told him that her voice/throat was really bothering her and that it was painful for her to even speak. So you can imagine how difficult it was for her and what a trooper she was to get through that day with the TSV. I will miss her.
Super Contributor

I will have to add to that. I miss her a lot too. She was a good example of overcoming adversity in life. I think of that as I struggle to go on with my life after my husband of 39 years ran off and married a younger woman who had just received an inheritance.

Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 hopeQ1 said:

More conjecture and too many speculative threads about the departed. Why can't everyone just let it be and let Joan R.I.P.?

Why does this bother you? It's only been a few days and people are still reacting. Let them. If you don't want to read another thread, then don't. But please let people grieve and remember in their own way. It does not impact your life.

Valued Contributor

On 9/9/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 9/9/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Why does this bother you? It's only been a few days and people are still reacting. Let them. If you don't want to read another thread, then don't. But please let people grieve and remember in their own way. It does not impact your life.

I completely agree. Joan just passed five days ago, and was in critical condition only for a week before she died. Everyone grieves - and moves on - in different ways and timetables. I see no reason for anyone who feels otherwise to chide the ones who want to reflect on her and her life. Oh, while she was reportedly worth a few hundred million, it is certainly not "billions." And even if she were a billionaire.....does that imply that no one should mourn her passing after her funeral?