Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, 8/29)

Good morning, shopping friends. My favorite mouser got me up at 5:30am, so I've been using the time to prepare some things for the upcoming trip. I've been printing out all the confirmations for the various reservations we have made. I always like to have the confirmations with me just in case a problem occurs. I do go to work in the afternoon so I'll be leaving around 11:30, possibly earlier if the checks are available as this is payday and I would like to have my check before the trip.

I turned QVC on and discovered Susan Graver. For a moment, I thought it was Thursday and had to check the date. Duh!! I haven't bought anything since my purchase of the Dennis Basso faux leather jacket which is getting good reviews. I really like it. I do have a cat item to return to Amazon. I gave Midnight a week to get used to it and enjoy it but he politely told me that this wonderful thing was of no interest to him.

I have prepaid some of my bills as I would like to have them paid before going on the trip despite their coming due after my return. Just in case of an accident, etc., I wanted to make sure they were paid. I'm a little OCD about financial issues and taking care of them.

My Florida niece who is on TPN feeding and was on the waitlist for an intestinal transplant is still not able to walk after the infection hit her spine. In addition, she had a stent put in yesterday because of a weakening major blood vessel.

I need to consider the TSV in terms of how much I would use it. I do like it but I have so many handbags. I have F10555 in two colors which I have used for travel and casual everyday use as well as the eBags Piazza bag which is great for organizing and is of a better material than the Travelon.

I'll be going to the city tomorrow to pick up my new glasses. I will also have lunch with a cousin who will soon begin cancer treatment. Shopping? At this point, I can't think of anything I need in the city.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely...and think positively!!! If it isn't sunny, make your own internal sunshine!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, 8/29)

They called and said my check had been delivered to the high and middle schools where I had been working the most. I have to travel 8 miles out to get it and then travel 11 miles in the opposite direction to work this afternoon. An individual volunteered to drop it off but it wouldn't be until tonight. Since I want it in the bank today, I'm going after it.

I just read of the death of Carolyn's cat. Each time I read of something like this, I remember my other cat who crossed the rainbow bridge and now my current Midnight who will cross the bridge someday. I worry about what will happen to him should I die first as no one around here wants him should I pass before him. In the meantime, this is a great link comparing back to school shopping, preparations, etc. of the 70s compared to today:

http://widelawns.blogspot.com/2014/08/back-to-school-70s-vs-today-lot-has.html

I'll touch base this evening. Have a great day!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, enjoy working with the kids this afternoon. Glad you are almost ready for your trip, I am sure you are looking forward to it. I was up very early today due to a coughing fit at 4:30 this morning. This cold thing is no fun, does anyone want it?

Sorry about your niece, I do hope she get better.

Enjoy your day out tomorrow, hope your cousin does well with their treatment.

I am sorry to hear about Carolyn's cat, I know my furbaby is not far from the Rainbow Bridge, he is 16 this year and is having trouble walking. Guess time will tell.

I will be spending today and tomorrow getting ready for our party, so if I don't get back to the boards, I hope everyone has a Safe and Happy Labor Day.

Respected Contributor

Prayers for your niece and others who are hurting.

Oh enjoy your event===I had two different sets of plans--and both had to change. So it will be a quiet weekend for me!.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's another hot, sunny day, so I want to take advantage of it and spend a few hours in the pool. I also need to make a trip to Publix; they're having the gas card promotion this weekend ($40 for a $50 gas card), so I want to take advantage of it. I'm also totally broke, so if I pay by check I can get some cash back and the check won't clear before my little pension from my late husband is deposited.

Time sure is flying by; hard to believe that less than a week ago I was in Florida. {#emotions_dlg.crying} Funny, but in all those years of living in Hawaii I never once got a sunburn; I got a mild one last week and now I'm peeling like crazy.

I do like the TSV a lot and could use a grey purse, since Jean and Jules forced me to get grey shoes in Nashville Wink but finances just don't allow right now.

My friend's offer on the house fell through, as someone else offered only $1K less than the asking price. I suggested she make a list of things she MUST have in her new home, a list of things she'd LIKE to have, and a list of things that are automatic deal-breakers. On her budget she's not likely to get everything she wants, but I really think she should hold out for the things that are important to her...like a home where she can do entertaining. She's a QVC shopper, and I pointed out to her that her Vitamix and NuWave oven alone would take up all the counter space she'd have had in that house. In my case I got everything I wanted except for the gourmet kitchen and a master suite, but my kitchen is adequate 99% of the time, and although I don't have a fancy bathroom, my tub has shower heads at both sides in case I wanted a really intense spray...and I don't even use it.

When I got up I saw one of the bad kitties tore my wallpaper in the kitchen. (sigh) I glued it back in place, and have to figure out what to do to keep them away from damaging it further. It's right under a cabinet so it's not very obvious, but I can't afford to have the wallpaper redone so I need to stop them from doing further damage.

Sorry to hear about your niece, Jean - I'll put her on the prayer list on my board. Midnight would always be welcome here...don't know if he'd like being part of a large ohana, but he'd probably get used to it...eventually!

Hard to believe it's Labor Day already! Time is flying by so quickly. Haven't seen Rosa in a few days - hope she's OK.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry about your niece. I am praying for her. Also praying for your cousin. I have a friend who is having chemo for breast cancer, and has had several incidents. In fact, she is currently in the hospital. I hope your cousin doesn't have such bad side effects from her treatment.

After some consideration -- back and forth -- I decided to order the TSV. I really should hold off on "extra" shopping until September, but I wanted to take advantage of the TSV price. I found out yesterday that my VB bag (purchased on eBay or Amazon for less), has little holes on all sides of the bottom. I think I'm just too hard on my purses to have Vera Bradley. I also decided against purchasing a VB duffel that was on my waitlist. I'd probably wreck that one as well. The TSV looks large enough for me, and it should also be fairly light and sturdy. DD helped me decide on the purchase.

Sorry you had to drive so far to pick up your check Jean. I did not read about Carolyn's cat, but I know what an animal lover she is, and how sad she must be. That was a cute comparison about school preparations in the 70's and today, but I can't really relate to either extreme. I know that I didn't do most of those things when DD was growing up, and I am sure she doesn't do those things with her kids. But, I know others who are nearly that bad.

Hope you have a very nice party Susan. And, I certainly hope your cold goes away -- yikes!

Enjoy your quiet weekend LindaR. Mine will be quiet as well -- but that is not unusual for me.

Guess that your friend lucked about that house Arlene -- although she might not agree. Your advice to her seems very good. Hope you can solve your wallpaper problem, and have a good weekend.

Waves to Kathleen, Marijane, twinny, Rosa, Gayle, Karen, Val, Gina, Nancy, Kathy, Jules, and all of our posters and readers.

Nothing exciting going on here. I plan to go to the store to pick up produce and maybe a few other things. I'm seriously considering purchasing a device to help with the constant robo-calls/ nuisance calls we are getting. This is more and more of a problem, despite my checking and not answering the calls. Often the same number will call repeatedly during the day, and never leave a message, etc.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good afternoon, everyone! I'm home a little early as the teacher had planning during the last period of the day, so the powers in charge said I could leave. I wasn't going to argue, but I will say it was a very good afternoon. I kept a straight face when a second grade student thanked me for coming. I'm not used to hearing that type of thing from students.

Linda--I decided to put the TSV on check status to give me time to consider it more plus it will prevent it from shipping to me while I am gone. I do hope you enjoy your handbag. I had a Vera Bradley but it didn't wear as well as the Lemon Hill brand which was the QVC clone. I still have the Lemon Hill but the VB is gone.

Arlene--I think you have made some very good suggestions for your friend. She also has to allow for future use and how long she plans to remain in the home. Many older people regret having homes not easily accessible if they develop walking problems, or have problems climbing stairs. I do like the grey in the TSV.

Susan--I do hope your party goes well and that you have great weather for it. I do hope your kitty has a good life left. It amazes me when I hear of some living to be 20.

LindaR--Enjoy your quiet weekend. Sometimes those are more rewarding that a weekend packed full of activities.

Trusted Contributor

Jean- My furbaby is a dog, he is a border collie/lab mix, he has all the quirks of a border collie. This dog can really test your patience, he is just too smart. Glad you got off work early, that is always a nice surprise.

Arlene - Maybe you can try spraying near the wall with that spray that keeps dogs and cats off furniture. I am sure you can find it online, I am not sure what the name of it is. Never tried it, so not sure if it works.

LindaL - Enjoy your new purse, I have a couple VB totes, but I don't use them that often so they are in good shape.

LindaR - Enjoy the quiet weekend, I would love to be having one. I do enjoy visiting with everyone, but I don't like getting ready for the party. No matter how much I plan, I always feel rushed at the last minute.

Off to do something constructive, have a good evening everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan---Ooops! I had cats on my mind! Dogs are great furbabies! Animals are often smarter than we give them credit....and they get to know us well and train us!!

I have to get up early again tomorrow morning to make the trip to the city...an hour and a half to get my glasses, then get my hair done and then have a late lunch with my cousin.

Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes for my niece and cousin.

Esteemed Contributor

One definite way to avoid shopping temptation from watching shopping channels is to indulge in an evening of Roku-streamed programming. I've been watching Extant from the first episode.

I forgot to mention that I fell for the hype and the reviews on the IT Cosmetics Tighline. I gave it a week and could see no difference. I couldn't get the tightline look, nor did my lashes look any better. I would do one eye and then compare to the other. I could see no difference, so back it went.