Respected Contributor

I’ve lived this far with the wardrobe I have. I can keep waiting to find pieces I love.

That’s a thought I found on the Vivienne Files website. Though it was stated a little differently, that’s the point she was making (and makes often). Be choosy. It pays off in the long run.

I’ve become choosy, and I’m not apologizing for it. The “near misses” end up being left in the closet – or I wear them but don’t feel good in them.

Better to be patient and wait for the right pieces. They aren’t always the expensive ones. They might turn up in a surprising place.

Honored Contributor

Nice post OP!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for reminding me, OP! My Grandma's first name was Patience and I don't appear to have inherited any of that wonderful trait!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your words of wisdom, peaches.

I no longer feel the need to buy, buy, buy. I carefully consider what I have and determine if there are any needs that must be met. I am much more comfortable spending more on a real need rather than just one more whatever!

Trusted Contributor

So very, very true. I think this year for the first time, I am truly looking at what I already have and how much I really need to get me through the season looking polished and feeling comfortable. I don't need that much and will put my budget toward a few high-quality, hard-working pieces.

Honored Contributor

Yes- except that materials are getting cheaper but prices are getting more expensive. I was looking for 100% wool coats, and they're getting harder to find. If I wait until "the one" comes along, it will either be blended with acrylic or other inferior materials or the price will be prohibitive.

There is a definite shift in quality, even in just the past five years.

Super Contributor

Excellent and timely post!

I am definitely more mindful of what I spend my hard-earned money on. I plan to wear just about everything I wore last fall and winter with very few additions.

Respected Contributor

Why is the OP so hard to read? It hurts my eyes!

Valued Contributor
On 8/28/2014 lolakimono said:

Yes- except that materials are getting cheaper but prices are getting more expensive. I was looking for 100% wool coats, and they're getting harder to find. If I wait until "the one" comes along, it will either be blended with acrylic or other inferior materials or the price will be prohibitive.

There is a definite shift in quality, even in just the past five years.

Our very close friends own a small local (expensive) boutique and that is their biggest hurdle, the quality of fabrics. The returns are because of poor fabric performance and then the manufacturer does not stand behind the garment, they blame it on the textile manufcaturer. The owners past 5 or so years have been difficult quality issues and these are not coture but high end labels. Should be much better quality. Very frustrating for the consumers and the store owners.