Honored Contributor

Californian Fashion Friends - You Okay?

I am lousy with geography, but read about the earthquake in CA. If you reside anywhere near the area, are you OK?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

Re: Californian Fashion Friends - You Okay?

The earthquake was centered in the town of Napa. I live about 30 miles north in the Upper Napa Valley and all is well here. I understand there is extensive damage in the Napa/American Canyon area. Please keep those people in your prayers.

Honored Contributor

DBL I am glad that you are okay and I will most certainly include the residents of Napa/American Canyon in my prayers.

Trusted Contributor

It didn't even wake me up. I understand that there's damage in the town of Napa, and to some wineries. Some mobile homes were destroyed. There is a family of three who were injured when their fireplace collapsed. Their 3 yr. old child is in critical condition, the last I heard. I'm praying for them and everyone else affected.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Having been through the 1989 quake (as many of you here), I can say it is nerve whacking!

I feel what they are going through. I think the after shocks are the worst part. They go on for weeks! Some are 5, or 4 if you have an original 6. It is like someone sneaking up on you, never knowing when or where. You are tensed up, on edge always waiting. We could hear some of the aftershocks, it was awful! Just when you are think you are okay, it starts again, Yikes. It has been 25 year and my heart still jumps when I am upstairs and my husband closes the garage door. My heart pounds. I think it is a PTSD of sorts. For me anyway.

On the positive side, it is always encouraging to hear that despite the destruction of property, lives are not lost. We can take quite a bit. Especially the newer buildings, they are retrofitted and can take earthquakes of great magnitude.

I really feel for the victims, especially the kids. It is terrifying for them. Many in '89 slept outside, they were so afraid to sleep in the houses! They were afraid to go to school and leave their parents. Bless them all!

Respected Contributor

Well I haven't been on the fashion forum, but I live 35 miles from Napa. I woke up and the place was shaking. It was unusual because usually when there is an earthquake you feel like your bed is rolling downhill, but it was just a shaking. Mainly I heard the closet doors vibrating in their tracks. I started to get up but too lazy and it stopped in another 15 seconds or so with no increase in intensity. I went back to sleep and was very shocked when I awoke to see that it had actually been a serious quake. I read that some people across the bay in Oakland had more disruption. I think I must have been just close enough to the "eye of the storm" and just far enough away to not get much effect. Nothing even fell. Thanks for asking about us, OP. Smile

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

About 20 miles from Napa here. I had to agree with a person being interviewed who described the quake as like being shaken in a box of cracker jacks. That sounds strange but that is what it was like. Our power was out for about 12 hours but our house is ok. A lot better than many tonight. Hope it's a quiet night.
Honored Contributor

I'm glad each of you is okay

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers go out to all of you! Godspeed to all who live in the affected area's.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/24/2014 ambermoon said: About 20 miles from Napa here. I had to agree with a person being interviewed who described the quake as like being shaken in a box of cracker jacks. That sounds strange but that is what it was like. Our power was out for about 12 hours but our house is ok. A lot better than many tonight. Hope it's a quiet night.

Are you near San Francisco?