Super Contributor

Stopped by Isaac's shop in the Hamptons last week. It's a small space on Main Street and nicely designed. Some selections were 50% off. There was a nice chronograph watch but the strap was silicone. I should have bought it - the band was deep olive and there was a bit of bling too. It was under $100. The sales women - there were two - are very friendly and said Isaac pops in and out sporadically. Also there is a nice assortment of penny candy for all customers!

What a contrast to M Kors' shop a few doors down. Snooty saleswomen like the ones in Pretty Woman.

Super Contributor

Also stopped in to Dash. the Kartrashian's boutique. Looked like a garage sale of pre-teen rags. The salesgirls were pleasant - no relation to the sisters. One customer tried to put her arm into the pant leg of one of the jeans! They were sooo tiny.

And to top it off, a mini-makeover at Trish McEvoy. Very professional SA and absolutely no pressure. I picked up a BB cream and an eye pencil. These two stores are on Job's Lane.

People were wearing lots of white jeans, white shorts; capris. Few maxis. Quite a few 50ish women without makeup, very very slim and outfits well pulled together. Lots of teacup and mini pooches. Dog bowls of water at every store entrance.

The jewelry stores have high-end items displayed in the windows. Kind of fun to see AAA+ tanzanite, amazing emeralds, ruby, diamonds and other gems right at eye-level without having to go in.

Esteemed Contributor

funny you should mention m.kors salespeople being snooty...my friend and I went to a Judith Ripka store in a local mall here in Jersey...same kind of salespeople.....they were nice to us till I mentioned QVC...and suddenly they didn't want anything to do with us...there was two of them and they walked away from us without showing us anything...so we walked out, too....

they didn't know if we would have made a purchase or not...just totally ignored us...

very much like Pretty Woman....

funny thing....I think it was the same mall...my friend bought me a $500.00 pair of diamond earrings...and a Miki-Moto pearl necklace for $2500.00....but not the same day or I would have pulled a Pretty Woman scene....lol...

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the report (both of your posts) -- interesting!

Valued Contributor
On 8/20/2014 moonstone dunes said:

Also stopped in to Dash. the Kartrashian's boutique. Looked like a garage sale of pre-teen rags. The salesgirls were pleasant - no relation to the sisters. One customer tried to put her arm into the pant leg of one of the jeans! They were sooo tiny.

And to top it off, a mini-makeover at Trish McEvoy. Very professional SA and absolutely no pressure. I picked up a BB cream and an eye pencil. These two stores are on Job's Lane.

People were wearing lots of white jeans, white shorts; capris. Few maxis. Quite a few 50ish women without makeup, very very slim and outfits well pulled together. Lots of teacup and mini pooches. Dog bowls of water at every store entrance.

The jewelry stores have high-end items displayed in the windows. Kind of fun to see AAA+ tanzanite, amazing emeralds, ruby, diamonds and other gems right at eye-level without having to go in.

Exactly, very casual, right? White jeans, sun dresses, tanks etc. You are actually encouraged to bring your dog into the stores. I am on Job's lane all the time, and I love how QVC wants you to think everyone walks around in stuffy suits and big hats. NOT at all! No make up either. Natural tan-no orange tans-lol!

You should see what it's like in early morning hours. All those skinny women are running miles to stay skinny. Like the saying goes "You can never be too rich, or too thin" I think the Hamponites take that saying to heart! Did you see the windmills? I hope you went to the ocean.

Job's Lane is decorated very nicely at Christmas. They go all out. If you come back to shop, check out the holidays!

How was the traffic?{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Contributor
On 8/20/2014 circles said:

funny you should mention m.kors salespeople being snooty...my friend and I went to a Judith Ripka store in a local mall here in Jersey...same kind of salespeople.....they were nice to us till I mentioned QVC...and suddenly they didn't want anything to do with us...there was two of them and they walked away from us without showing us anything...so we walked out, too....

they didn't know if we would have made a purchase or not...just totally ignored us...

very much like Pretty Woman....

funny thing....I think it was the same mall...my friend bought me a $500.00 pair of diamond earrings...and a Miki-Moto pearl necklace for $2500.00....but not the same day or I would have pulled a Pretty Woman scene....lol...

I had the exact same experience at Judith's flagship store on Madison Ave. I think my husband or myself mentioned QVC. I can't remember exactly but they became very snooty fast. I should mention this was several years ago. I have several pieces from her stores along with QVC purchases and very well may have made another purchase that day had the sales personnel been decent. I was not impressed to say the least. I still purchase Judith's things because I love her designs and don't hold her accountable for the behavior of her employees. I can't imagine she would have been pleased.
Honored Contributor
On 8/20/2014 mtnbikegirl said:

Exactly, very casual, right? White jeans, sun dresses, tanks etc. You are actually encouraged to bring your dog into the stores. I am on Job's lane all the time, and I love how QVC wants you to think everyone walks around in stuffy suits and big hats. NOT at all! No make up either. Natural tan-no orange tans-lol!

You should see what it's like in early morning hours. All those skinny women are running miles to stay skinny. Like the saying goes "You can never be too rich, or too thin" I think the Hamponites take that saying to heart! Did you see the windmills? I hope you went to the ocean.

Job's Lane is decorated very nicely at Christmas. They go all out. If you come back to shop, check out the holidays!

How was the traffic?{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Whenever I watch the live Super Saturday event QVC has from The Hamptons, I am never that impressed with the styles of the women walking around in the background shopping. The hosts always mention how something is so Hamptons like these women are the authorities on fashion.

They dress like I see people in my area dress. Some much worse, some better but nothing outstanding.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/20/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Whenever I watch the live Super Saturday event QVC has from The Hamptons, I am never that impressed with the styles of the women walking around in the background shopping. The hosts always mention how something is so Hamptons like these women are the authorities on fashion.

They dress like I see people in my area dress. Some much worse, some better but nothing outstanding.

I so agree. I mean really, Ina Garten lives in the Hamptons, doesn't she?!?!? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

When we purchased our house, we bought based on location. We were lucky to find a house we could afford in a nice neighborhood. There are lots of affluent families here, but you would often never know it. Women shopping the grocery down the street are often dressed in tennis attire, having just played at the country club courts, or they might be wearing spandex coming from yoga, pilates or a run around the lake. There is nothing pretentious about them--whatsoever!

So when Lisa gets on her "lead with the handbag, Madison Avenue, ladies who lunch", it makes me think she has conjured up this life that she longs for, but in today's society, doesn't even really exist.

Super Contributor

Oy. Horrible. But we only went for a few hours Saturday... bumper to bumper...Montauk Hwy - Hill St. I haven't been to Southampton in 2 or 3 years, just not worth the aggravation getting there. I have family out there but we are just west of the canal( I grew up out there). I love Agawam park, its so nice to see something untouched. Got to the beach just once :-(