Super Contributor

This morning ... I put on a print top with a scoop neckline that was a bit low and I didn't want to add a layer. I usually wear this top over a sleeveless turtleneck ... but it was too warm today and I wasn't going to be in air conditioning a good part of the day.

I went through my necklaces and scarves to see what I had to fill in the "vast expanse." I tried several of each and came up with a combination.

I took one of my BIG link silver necklaces and threaded a small black square chiffon scarf through the links (every other link) and tied it in back. It turned out fantastic ... just the right amount of "stuff" to fill in the neckline!

Over the years, I have collected about 30 of these small square scarves and I have a bunch of silver and gold necklaces with BIG links. Something new for me to play with!

Valued Contributor

Excellent idea, Kathleen! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys reworking things I already own. I get such a charge out of creating a new look without spending a dime. That's one of the reasons I love to window shop (or watch QVC, or look at catalogues.) I often come away with great ideas for items already in my closet. Sometimes it's something like your necklace/scarf combo, other times it's a new color combination. Fun stuff!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Frequent Contributor
Very clever!! P.S. Waving~~~Hi to sharlee!
Respected Contributor

How creative! I suspect we all have many things we can do with the "stuff" we have, it just takes some time, effort and creativity. Thanks for the inspiration.

Trusted Contributor

Very nice idea! I'm not sure I have any necklaces with links large enough to thread a scarf through, or I'd probably try your suggestion. I love to use clothing and accessories in different, creative ways. Enjoy your new scarf/necklaces!

Sometimes I take a small square scarf, roll it, tie a loose knot in the middle (arranging it so that an attractive part of the print motif is on the outside of the knot) and then tie the ends of the scarf at the back of my neck, making the scarf into a kind of "necklace" on its own. I also have some decorative "scarf slides" that a rolled scarf can be run through, either with the slide on the front of the rolled scarf as jewelry, worn at the neck with the ends of the scarf tied in back, or with the ends of the scarf going through the slide, one point going one way and the other point the other, and the slide worn in front.

Actually, the above is a scarf slide, not a scarf ring. Useful in many ways and available in many styles and configurations.

Honored Contributor

Great idea, very creative. I gotta try it....

Respected Contributor

Smart and creative!Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

Waving back to By the Bay - hi there. We should have lunch again sometime - I miss the old group!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

Hi GoodStuff, I have 2 of those scarf slides I purchased here on Q years ago. I take the two ends of scarf and put one through one way then push the other through (with a chopstick) the other way and then pull and adjust (like the illustration on the bottom left of your first pic). You can use any ring the same way. Works great!

Trusted Contributor
On 8/20/2014 silkyk said:

Hi GoodStuff, I have 2 of those scarf slides I purchased here on Q years ago. I take the two ends of scarf and put one through one way then push the other through (with a chopstick) the other way and then pull and adjust (like the illustration on the bottom left of your first pic). You can use any ring the same way. Works great!

Yep -- I do that too, except I usually use a ballpoint pen instead of a chopstick for the push-through. Scarf slides and scarf clips are nice, versatile accessories.